Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronson = Money

Re: Bronson = Money

The Phillips trade would have been robbery as well. I agree, unless you pick up Lee and somehow get him to agree to an extension prior to having to make a decision on Bronson's option, picking up said option should be a no brainer, and even better if you can work out an extension. I know the reds have a lot of hope in their young starters, but it sure would be nice to have a guy you can pencil for a sub 4.00 era and 200+ innings.

Remember when we had a debate if Arroyo was a true #3 pitcher on RZ? Seems like that conversation has turned into ifs he's a true #2 or more like a 1b.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I think exercising his option is a no brainer. I actually wouldn't mind if they extended him 2-3 years more. Like I said in another post, he will have 3-4 starts per year where he is horrible (giving up 14 runs), but he's extremely solid the rest of the year.
    Walt has shown to be creative and Bronson seems to be a guy who likes playing in Cincinnati. I wouldn't have an issue with working out a contract extension. If Bronson can give the Reds 2 more seasons of 4.00 ERA (pitching Bronson style with a few games inflating that ERA) and 220+ innings I wouldn't hesitate to give him a 3rd season.

Right now Bronson is a slightly better than average pitcher who gives you innings. IMO that is very valuable to any team in MLB and especially to the Reds. He will throw his fair share of stinkers, a 7-8 run outing, but his overall value is something the Reds just can't afford to lose.

I love watching Arroyo pitch. The kick, the angles, the movement, the speed changes...it's entertaining. He works it all into every batter he faces, and that has to be setting a good lesson for the young pitchers who watch him pitch.

He does have clunkers every so often that inflate his statistics, but you know Arroyo would never beg out of a game to protect his numbers. He seems to be a team player. I'd love to see the Reds extend his contract.

Whew! Anyone remember the thread after the trade with Boston???
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Put me in the camp that would love to see Arroyo's option get picked up. He's my favorite personality on the Reds.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Reds are 12-6 in Bronson's starts this year.

In the 6 losses he has given up 33 runs.

In the 12 wins he has surrendered 21.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Whew! Anyone remember the thread after the trade with Boston???
    I wasn't around yet, but I found the thread in the archives and read through it. Some VERY funny statements in there.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43961
    Last edited by Plus Plus; 07-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I think exercising his option is a no brainer. I actually wouldn't mind if they extended him 2-3 years more. Like I said in another post, he will have 3-4 starts per year where he is horrible (giving up 14 runs), but he's extremely solid the rest of the year.

Sure. I'd do that. At the very least pick up his option or, ideally, have him do a Rolen-type deal where he agrees to less money for more years instead of having to test the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I wasn't around yet, but I found the thread in the archives and read through it. Some VERY funny statements in there.

Yeah, I was DEAD wrong about that trade. I was ready to fire Krivsky immediately after that move. I was very high on Wily Mo at the time. Looking back on that thread, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of my comments. For instance:

I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.

YouTube - Family Guy - The Kool-Aid Man

Arroyo is a joy to watch. Picking up his option is a no-brainer unless he has a truly spectacular decline the rest of this season that leads the front office to believe he is toast. I don't see that happening and look forward to #61 in Red for at least one more season.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'd go for the extension. No real injury concerns, and doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that is going to lose his stuff over the years since he doesn't rely on power. I think he'll continue to age well, somewhat like Moyer.
    Totally agree, and if they lose Harang, they really need to keep someone in the rotation who's got his experience and reliability. Just too many up's and down's with all the young arms still, ecspecially the power arms like Cueto, Bailey, Chapman and Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Robbery.
    And think so many people railed that the Robbery was commited by the Red Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah, I was DEAD wrong about that trade. I was ready to fire Krivsky immediately after that move. I was very high on Wily Mo at the time. Looking back on that thread, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of my comments. For instance:
    I would have sworn I'd weighed in on that discussion, but I sure don't see any of my posts. I also don't see posts by M2, Randy, RFS62, Redstorm, Cougarquest, TeamCasey, TeamClark, Remdog, and a few of the other more active posters from that time. I seem to remember Rem was quite critical of the trade when it first went down.

Maybe I have myself on ignore.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

thanks for the link. funny stuff indeed.

Turn Off Ads?