Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee Discussion (Acquired by TEX)

Cliff Lee Discussion (Acquired by TEX)

With permissing from a mod, I'm starting a new thread since this is fairly big news, plus the other Cliff Lee thread is getting long. Jon Morosi says the Reds are motivated to acquire Lee and have begun exchanging names with the Mariners:

One year after the Indians dealt him to the Phillies, the other team in Ohio would like to acquire Cliff Lee.

A number of people in the industry say the Cincinnati Reds are motivated to get Lee – and have the prospects to entice the Mariners.

Cincinnati has become a “sleeper” team in the Lee sweepstakes, one rival general manager said Wednesday. A separate source said the teams have exchanged names “in preliminary fashion” but have yet to discuss firm proposals.
    Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik was fond of Alonso leading up to the 2008 draft, when the Reds selected him in the first round. After a disappointing June, Alonso is batting .379 with three home runs in his first seven games of July.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...om-July-070110
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jon Morosi: Reds motivated to acquire Cliff Lee; have exchanged names with Marine

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The industry feel is that the Twins are the leaders for Lee with catcher Wilson Ramos (.208, .573 OPS in Triple-A), a current member of the starting rotation and perhaps a prospect such as Aaron Hicks as potential return for Seattle. The Yankees hover. The Reds have Yonder Alonso for a bat, Major League-ready pitching and catcher Devin Mesoraco. The Mets are trying to stay in. So are the Cardinals.

Re: Jon Morosi: Reds motivated to acquire Cliff Lee; have exchanged names with Marine

The time is now. I would do backflips to barbados if Mesaraco and Alonso are the primary players involved.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The time is now. I would do backflips to barbados if Mesaraco and Alonso are the primary players involved.
    Not me. The Reds are finally building a good team through out the system and I dont want them to start trading away their prospects for players that will cost to much for them to keep anyway and cost us players like Votto in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Not me. The Reds are finally building a good team through out the system and I dont want them to start trading away their prospects for players that will cost to much for them to keep anyway and cost us players like Votto in the long run.
    And when Cliff Lee shuts down the Reds in their first postseason in 15 years, maybe your mind will change. Look, everyone has a chance in the playoffs, but if you have a top-shelf pitcher, you can basically shorten the series in your favor (or neutralize a C.C.,Halladay,Carpenter,etc.)

For me, even with Grandal, I'm not really into the idea of trading Mesoraco. Wood is probably out as well, and Chapman. Outside of those 3, I'm down.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    That's just it. They have a ton of depth....but how many positions will be open in the next 5 years? 1b, 2b, CF, RF, C, 4 possibly 5 starters are blocked right now.

The chemistry and makeup of this team, this year....is poised to go for at all. They can't think of doing that without a stud TOR starter. Cliff Lee is there for the taking. We can worry about 2015 at a later time.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I can't help but think of Homer Bailey in this situation. Is a prospect later better than a solid thing now? Homer could have been a key piece of many trades years ago, when this team needed a bat or a TOR guy. Instead we are still waiting for the playoffs. Time is up. If playoffs now means no playoffs in 2015 so be it. If you have to give them the Louiville organization for Cliff Lee, DO IT. WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH!!!!
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

I am willing to trade any 3 prospects in the system not on this list for Cliff Lee:
    Travis Wood
    Devin Mesoraco
    Aroldis Chapman
    Yorman Rodriguez
    Billy Hamilton

If that can't get it done, then its not worth the price we will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    I can't help but think of Homer Bailey in this situation. Is a prospect later better than a solid thing now? Homer could have been a key piece of many trades years ago, when this team needed a bat or a TOR guy. Instead we are still waiting for the playoffs. Time is up. If playoffs now means no playoffs in 2015 so be it. If you have to give them the Louiville organization for Cliff Lee, DO IT. WE HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH!!!!
    So was Joey Votto and Joe Blanton.... heck, some wanted to trade both Votto and one of Bailey/Cueto for Blanton. Sometimes the best deal is saying no.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So was Joey Votto and Joe Blanton.... heck, some wanted to trade both Votto and one of Bailey/Cueto for Blanton. Sometimes the best deal is saying no.
    I agree, but Joe Blanton and Cliff Lee are apples and oranges. I am impatient. I want the Playoffs.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    I agree, but Joe Blanton and Cliff Lee are apples and oranges. I am impatient. I want the Playoffs.
    Sure they are apples and oranges, but the impatience leading to bad decisions might not be. Acquiring Lee isn't a bad decision, but giving up way too much for him could be.

Remember how the Reds also offered Votto and Bailey for 2 years of Bedard? But the O's were insistent on Bruce? Yikes. Glad that 1 didn't go through!

I agree with Doug. In fact, I hope we don't have any kind of a deal until after the ASG. His value will diminish that much more, the bargaining will come towards the middle, and the Reds can hang on to that list Doug just posted. With so many bidders, it will likely come down to luck of the draw, Jack Z likes your prospects, or you will have to gouge your farm more than the next. I don't know if it's worth it on 7/7 to go that far.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am willing to trade any 3 prospects in the system not on this list for Cliff Lee:
    Travis Wood
    Devin Mesoraco
    Aroldis Chapman
    Yorman Rodriguez
    Billy Hamilton

If that can't get it done, then its not worth the price we will pay.
    I'm sort of in the same camp...but I think I would reluctantly move Wood (with Alonso) if that got it done. I would just hope the M's might send something useful back...a pen arm or something.

I am concerned about the thought of giving up Mesoraco though.

Turn Off Ads?