Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The curious case of Chris Heisey

Simply put, he needs more playing time. If that means giving Stubbs a day off, Bruce a day off or Gomes a few days off, he should absolutely be getting more starts.

Yes, the sample size is small, but he's already been about 1 WAR. He's had 5 HRs in 75 PAs. He plays amazing defense (the catch tonight in RF was incredible). He was practically the MVP of the game with that catch and his home run (or runner up next to Phillips).

I'd love to make him the everyday LF. Can you imagine an outfield of Bruce, Stubbs and Heisey? They'd run down every ball hit out there.

I'm just saying, Heisey deserves more playing time and I hope if the Reds do trade him here at the deadline, they don't sell him short. He's not an elite talent, but he has value and I think Dusty doesn't utilize his talent enough.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-08-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Heisey should be starting over Gomes every day of the week. I don't mind him getting a spot start in CF/RF once a week, but he is flat out a better player than Gomes is.

I think Heisey should start getting some starts in left field. I like Jonny Gomes, but other than a great month of May, he's been below average this season. I would start giving Heisey some starts in LF against RHP and let Gomes start vs LHP. This move would give the Reds one of the best defensive outfields in baseball, if not the best...
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-08-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Right now, Gomes literally does nothing better on the baseball field as Heisey. I have no problem with Gomes and I'm glad he's on the team, but Heisey needs to be playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Heisey may/may not be the future in LF. But Gomes has been very instrumental in this team's success this season. Some seem to be overlooking that.

.280 BA .333 OB% .473 SLG% .807 OPS

56 RBIs. That's 3rd on the team behind Votto (59) and Rolen (57). Over the course of the season that projects out to 145 hits, 110 RBIs, 20 Hrs. And while Gomes is stronger vs RHers, he still gives better consistency from both sides, where Heisey's numbers so far vs lefties ain't too hot. Agree it's a small window, but some are using that same small window to say he should be getting more playing time in LF and Gomes less.

A season is comprised of 162 games (6 months), and not "cherry picking" a player's performance over one month and then saying he ain't making it.

Keep using Heisey off the bench just as they are. He's very valuable. Use him all around the OF to give guys a rest, and even as a defensive replacement.

He definitely should be getting the nod of Nix.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-08-2010 at 05:40 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Heisey may/may not be the future in LF. But Gomes has been very instrumental in this team's success this season. Some seem to be overlooking that.

Yes, but what has he done for us lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

.280 BA .333 OB% .473 SLG% .807 OPS

56 RBIs. That's 3rd on the team behind Votto (59) and Rolen (57). Over the course of the season that projects out to 145 hits, 110 RBIs, 20 Hrs. And while Gomes is stronger vs RHers, he still gives better consistency from both sides, where Heisey's numbers so far vs lefties ain't too hot. Agree it's a small window, but some are using that same small window to say he should be getting more playing time in LF and Gomes less.

A season is comprised of 162 games (6 months), and not "cherry picking" a player's performance over one month and then saying he ain't making it.

Keep using Heisey off the bench just as they are. He's very valuable. Use him all around the OF to give guys a rest, and even as a defensive replacement.

He definitely should be getting the nod of Nix.
    This. The "flavor of the week" over blown lovefest that happens here is somewhat amusing. I like Heisey too, but Gomes has been producing quite well. I don't think he needs anything more than a day or two off to clear his head and work in the cage just like Baker's done for Bruce, Stubbs and others.

And yes, Heisey needs some more playing time....as does Janish. Nix and Cairo should be the last guys off the bench, not these 2.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-08-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This. The "flavor of the week" over blown lovefest that happens here is somewhat amusing. I like Heisey too, but Gomes has been producing quite well. I don't think he needs anything more than a day or two off to clear his head and work in the cage just like Baker's done for Bruce, Stubbs and others.
    No, Gomes produced in May.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, Gomes produced in May.
    He OVERPRODUCED in May. His numbers in June are below his averages. But far from horrible. He still knocked in 17 runs, only 5 fewer than his ridiculous May. He needs a day or two off. He got several games off during May, NONE in June and NONE so far in July. I'm not talking about missing a start and then coming in later, a REAL day off.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He OVERPRODUCED in May. His numbers in June are below his averages. But far from horrible. He still knocked in 17 runs, only 5 fewer than his ridiculous May. He needs a day or two off. He got several games off during May, NONE in June and NONE so far in July. I'm not talking about missing a start and then coming in later, a REAL day off.
    Gomes in June: .244 .304 .400 .704

That actually is horrible. For the month of June he was the 22nd best LF in the NL in OPS

Gomes in July: .269 .321 .423 .744

not as horrible. pretty bad for a LF though. So far for the month of July he is the 14th best LF in the NL in OPS.

May was lights out: .364 .420 .636 1.056 3rd in OPS for LF

April: ouch. .217 .254 .367 .620 21st in the NL in OPS for LF.

Heisey out performed him in May, June and July. Yes, Heisey had a better OPS in May than Gomes.

Add in defense and since Heisey has been with the Reds, it isn't particularly close. He should get starts at every outfield position every week.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Baker needs to mix Heisey in a bit more. Gomes, Stubbs and even Bruce can use some time off a bit more often and Heisey fills in very nicely.
    But as GAC says, lets not get overly excited. Heisey has also looked lost at the plate at times. I still think he's going to be a good MLB player, either with the Reds or someone else.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Once a week, start Heisey in LF, then CF, then RF against a tough LH pitcher. That'd give him 3 starts a week.

Not really all that hard to do, and Baker could manage the three starters by saying I want to keep you guys fresh. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

Once a week, start Heisey in LF, then CF, then RF against a tough LH pitcher. That'd give him 3 starts a week.

Not really all that hard to do, and Baker could manage the three starters by saying I want to keep you guys fresh. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
    I like it.

Once a week, start Heisey in LF, then CF, then RF against a tough LH pitcher.
    They kid is batting .194 vs lefties with a .286 OB%, .730 OPS.

Vs RHers.... .407 BA .500 OB% .778 SLG% 1.278 OPS

Granted that's only 63 total ABs, but what I've seen from him so far vs lefties, other then the 3 Hrs, he looks somewhat lost right now. I certainly wouldn't want to throw him up against TOUGH LHer right now.

Heisey out performed him in May, June and July. Yes, Heisey had a better OPS in May than Gomes.
    I respect ya buddy, but don't you think that is an awfully small sample size comparison to say that Heisey out performed Gomes?

Heisey had a total of 27 ABs in May, 26 in June, and 10 so far in July.

Gomes had almost that many ABs in one month. Johnny's had 60 ABs in April, 88 in May, 90 in June, and 26 so far in July. That's 264 ABs total compared to 63. I just don't think that is a fair comparison at all.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-08-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I respect ya buddy, but don't you think that is an awfully small sample size comparison to say that Heisey out performed Gomes?

Heisey had a total of 27 ABs in May, 26 in June, and 10 so far in July.

Gomes had almost that many ABs in one month. Johnny's had 60 ABs in April, 88 in May, 90 in June, and 26 so far in July. That's 264 ABs total compared to 63. I just don't think that is a fair comparison at all.
    It's not a fair comparison, but a lot of that is going around. BUT as far as outperforming him, he did so on both sides of the ball. Defensively, there is no argument here. none.

The real question is, is this the real Chris Heisey? I happen to think it is, and most scouts agree.

Turn Off Ads?