Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Heisey may/may not be the future in LF. But Gomes has been very instrumental in this team's success this season. Some seem to be overlooking that.

.280 BA .333 OB% .473 SLG% .807 OPS

56 RBIs. That's 3rd on the team behind Votto (59) and Rolen (57). Over the course of the season that projects out to 145 hits, 110 RBIs, 20 Hrs. And while Gomes is stronger vs RHers, he still gives better consistency from both sides, where Heisey's numbers so far vs lefties ain't too hot. Agree it's a small window, but some are using that same small window to say he should be getting more playing time in LF and Gomes less.

A season is comprised of 162 games (6 months), and not "cherry picking" a player's performance over one month and then saying he ain't making it.

Keep using Heisey off the bench just as they are. He's very valuable. Use him all around the OF to give guys a rest, and even as a defensive replacement.

He definitely should be getting the nod of Nix.
    This. The "flavor of the week" over blown lovefest that happens here is somewhat amusing. I like Heisey too, but Gomes has been producing quite well. I don't think he needs anything more than a day or two off to clear his head and work in the cage just like Baker's done for Bruce, Stubbs and others.

And yes, Heisey needs some more playing time....as does Janish. Nix and Cairo should be the last guys off the bench, not these 2.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-08-2010 at 09:38 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This. The "flavor of the week" over blown lovefest that happens here is somewhat amusing. I like Heisey too, but Gomes has been producing quite well. I don't think he needs anything more than a day or two off to clear his head and work in the cage just like Baker's done for Bruce, Stubbs and others.
    No, Gomes produced in May.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, Gomes produced in May.
    He OVERPRODUCED in May. His numbers in June are below his averages. But far from horrible. He still knocked in 17 runs, only 5 fewer than his ridiculous May. He needs a day or two off. He got several games off during May, NONE in June and NONE so far in July. I'm not talking about missing a start and then coming in later, a REAL day off.

High five!

RBI Talk

Gomes does lead the team with batting in 21.9% of baserunners in 297 PA. Votto is second (17.8%) and Rolen (17.5%.)

Last year, he batted in 15.0% of baserunners in 314 PAs.

In 2008, he batted in 12.2% of baserunners with 177 PAs.

2007, 395 PAs and batted in 12.5%.

Gomes' increase in RBI is directly related to hitting behind excellent on base men and a seemingly improved approach at the plate. I think it's likely that any .281 hitter would have a similar number of RBI. Depending on said .281 hitter's age and maternal genes, the mohawk could also be duplicated.

Hesiey Talk

Heisey should play more.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    the mohawk could also be duplicated.
    Bite your tongue. :O)

High five!

Bite your tongue. :O)
    Well _I_ couldn't do it!

He OVERPRODUCED in May. His numbers in June are below his averages. But far from horrible. He still knocked in 17 runs, only 5 fewer than his ridiculous May. He needs a day or two off. He got several games off during May, NONE in June and NONE so far in July. I'm not talking about missing a start and then coming in later, a REAL day off.
    Gomes in June: .244 .304 .400 .704

That actually is horrible. For the month of June he was the 22nd best LF in the NL in OPS

Gomes in July: .269 .321 .423 .744

not as horrible. pretty bad for a LF though. So far for the month of July he is the 14th best LF in the NL in OPS.

May was lights out: .364 .420 .636 1.056 3rd in OPS for LF

April: ouch. .217 .254 .367 .620 21st in the NL in OPS for LF.

Heisey out performed him in May, June and July. Yes, Heisey had a better OPS in May than Gomes.

Add in defense and since Heisey has been with the Reds, it isn't particularly close. He should get starts at every outfield position every week.

IMO Heisey needs more ABs and I'll leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    IMO Heisey needs more ABs and I'll leave it at that
    But he has gotten starts and has gotten at bats and he hasn't produced when put in the lineup. Most of Heisey's damage has come in a PH or late inning replacement capacity. He needs to produced when given a start, and so far this season he has yet to do that.

I am not saying that Heisey doesn't factor in the near future, but as of right now I think the Reds are using Heisey pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Gomes in June: .244 .304 .400 .704

That actually is horrible. For the month of June he was the 22nd best LF in the NL in OPS

Gomes in July: .269 .321 .423 .744

not as horrible. pretty bad for a LF though. So far for the month of July he is the 14th best LF in the NL in OPS.

May was lights out: .364 .420 .636 1.056 3rd in OPS for LF

April: ouch. .217 .254 .367 .620 21st in the NL in OPS for LF.

Heisey out performed him in May, June and July. Yes, Heisey had a better OPS in May than Gomes.

Add in defense and since Heisey has been with the Reds, it isn't particularly close. He should get starts at every outfield position every week.
    I assume you meant he was the 22nd LF in OPS in MLB in May? Or were you throwing everyone's numbers sample size or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

As Heisey appears to be hot and Gomes appears to be not, I can support getting Heisey more time in LF than he is currently getting. However, this reeks of "Flavor of the Week" RedZone talk that has convinced us that guys like Adam Rosales, Chris Denorfia, (etc). were all everyday players. The sample size we are dealing with here is still very very small. A lot of the guys making the case for Heisey on this board are the same guys that preach SSS in other cases.

The problem lies in the fact that both Gomes and Heisey's value is tied mostly to their ability to hit LHP. Neither is a world beater against RHP, which is why I liked that both Heisey and Gomes started last night against the lefty. That's a lineup vs LHP that I can get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I assume you meant he was the 22nd LF in OPS in MLB in May? Or were you throwing everyone's numbers sample size or no?
    no. All my numbers are for LF in the respective months in the NL. Gomes was 3rd in OPS in May for LF. Heisey was second. Heisey had about 1/3 the AB's that Gomes had, so sure, sample does matter, but Heisey's sample is getting larger everyday and he's still producing. Gomes has had one good stretch this year, about 3 weeks in May. Thats it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    As Heisey appears to be hot and Gomes appears to be not, I can support getting Heisey more time in LF than he is currently getting. However, this reeks of "Flavor of the Week" RedZone talk
    I've been saying Heisey should be playing for much longer than a week.

Or month.

that has convinced us that guys like Adam Rosales, Chris Denorfia, (etc). were all everyday players.
    I've been saying Heisey should be playing for much longer than a week and I never thought Rosales was an everyday player. I thought Deno warranted a longer chance but that didn't happen.

The sample size we are dealing with here is still very very small. A lot of the guys making the case for Heisey on this board are the same guys that preach SSS in other cases.
    Prove it.

The problem lies in the fact that both Gomes and Heisey's value is tied mostly to their ability to hit LHP.
    Not really. Heisey has value with the glove. Gomes...neg.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lets not forget, even the Reds had Heisey at one point in the offseason, as their starting left fielder. Do I think Heisey could OPS .850 on the season? No, I don't. I do think he could fall in the .775-.800 range though and that, coupled with his defense makes him a much better option than Gomes.

Just for the sake of the history, Adam Rosales is doing a heck of a lot better imitation of an everyday player with his current .737 OPS at 2b than Chris Denorfia ever did.

Turn Off Ads?