Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The curious case of Chris Heisey

The curious case of Chris Heisey

Simply put, he needs more playing time. If that means giving Stubbs a day off, Bruce a day off or Gomes a few days off, he should absolutely be getting more starts.

Yes, the sample size is small, but he's already been about 1 WAR. He's had 5 HRs in 75 PAs. He plays amazing defense (the catch tonight in RF was incredible). He was practically the MVP of the game with that catch and his home run (or runner up next to Phillips).

I'd love to make him the everyday LF. Can you imagine an outfield of Bruce, Stubbs and Heisey? They'd run down every ball hit out there.

I'm just saying, Heisey deserves more playing time and I hope if the Reds do trade him here at the deadline, they don't sell him short. He's not an elite talent, but he has value and I think Dusty doesn't utilize his talent enough.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 07-08-2010 at 02:17 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Heisey should be starting over Gomes every day of the week. I don't mind him getting a spot start in CF/RF once a week, but he is flat out a better player than Gomes is.

I think Heisey should start getting some starts in left field. I like Jonny Gomes, but other than a great month of May, he's been below average this season. I would start giving Heisey some starts in LF against RHP and let Gomes start vs LHP. This move would give the Reds one of the best defensive outfields in baseball, if not the best...
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-08-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Right now, Gomes literally does nothing better on the baseball field as Heisey. I have no problem with Gomes and I'm glad he's on the team, but Heisey needs to be playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Heisey may/may not be the future in LF. But Gomes has been very instrumental in this team's success this season. Some seem to be overlooking that.

.280 BA .333 OB% .473 SLG% .807 OPS

56 RBIs. That's 3rd on the team behind Votto (59) and Rolen (57). Over the course of the season that projects out to 145 hits, 110 RBIs, 20 Hrs. And while Gomes is stronger vs RHers, he still gives better consistency from both sides, where Heisey's numbers so far vs lefties ain't too hot. Agree it's a small window, but some are using that same small window to say he should be getting more playing time in LF and Gomes less.

A season is comprised of 162 games (6 months), and not "cherry picking" a player's performance over one month and then saying he ain't making it.

Keep using Heisey off the bench just as they are. He's very valuable. Use him all around the OF to give guys a rest, and even as a defensive replacement.

He definitely should be getting the nod of Nix.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-08-2010 at 05:40 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Baker needs to mix Heisey in a bit more. Gomes, Stubbs and even Bruce can use some time off a bit more often and Heisey fills in very nicely.
    But as GAC says, lets not get overly excited. Heisey has also looked lost at the plate at times. I still think he's going to be a good MLB player, either with the Reds or someone else.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Once a week, start Heisey in LF, then CF, then RF against a tough LH pitcher. That'd give him 3 starts a week.

Not really all that hard to do, and Baker could manage the three starters by saying I want to keep you guys fresh. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Heisey may/may not be the future in LF. But Gomes has been very instrumental in this team's success this season. Some seem to be overlooking that.

Yes, but what has he done for us lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Here is my curious case of Chris Heisey.

.217/.294/.370 OPS .664

That is his line as a starter. I don't know why he has had great success coming off the bench but when given a chance to start he hasn't produced. That line is Taveras-esque as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Once a week, start Heisey in LF, then CF, then RF against a tough LH pitcher. That'd give him 3 starts a week.

Not really all that hard to do, and Baker could manage the three starters by saying I want to keep you guys fresh. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
    I like it.

I think Heisey is a better 4th OFer option than Gomes due to his stronger set of all around tools. I question whether flipping the two would be counterproductive. Even though Heisey might perform well, Gomes might fall off the cliff coming off the bench and starting once or twice a week. A start for me is if Dusty would start bringing in Heisey as his late inning LFer instead of Nix.

He is the 2010 Jeffrey Hammonds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Here is my curious case of Chris Heisey.

.217/.294/.370 OPS .664

That is his line as a starter. I don't know why he has had great success coming off the bench but when given a chance to start he hasn't produced. That line is Taveras-esque as a starter.
    Both are small sample sizes, bench and starter. I think his overall numbers are the only fair gauge.

Can Gomes play 1b? Seems like a position he needs to learn, 'cause it would be nice vs a tough lefty, when votto might need a day off anyways, to put Heisey in LF and gomes @ 1b.

Either way, I'm all for getting Heisey more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think Heisey is a better 4th OFer option than Gomes due to his stronger set of all around tools. I question whether flipping the two would be counterproductive. Even though Heisey might perform well, Gomes might fall off the cliff coming off the bench and starting once or twice a week. A start for me is if Dusty would start bringing in Heisey as his late inning LFer instead of Nix.

He is the 2010 Jeffrey Hammonds.
    One could argue Gomes is already falling off the cliff. His numbers over the last 5-6 weeks aren't too good.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    One could argue Gomes is already falling off the cliff. His numbers over the last 5-6 weeks aren't too good.
    Nah, he's a slugger. Last time he went through one of these he went on a binge shortly thereafter. I'm not saying he will, but sluggers are like binge eaters.

Turn Off Ads?