Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Re: The curious case of Chris Heisey

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    So would I. My point was just that Rosales is a whole lot better player than Denorfia and it's a mistake to treat them as if they're the same thing.
    In Deno's defense he did have that knee injury that set him back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's not a fair comparison, but a lot of that is going around. BUT as far as outperforming him, he did so on both sides of the ball. Defensively, there is no argument here. none.
    You're right, there is no argument defensively. But offensively that's another story. Heisey's a young hitter, unknown by ML pitchers, and he's capitalized on that in a few instances (PH Hrs). But there is no way he has out performed Gomes simply due to the small sample size, and when ones does a breakdown and even greater examination of the numbers (other then simply OPS).

He simply hasn't had enough ABs to be making such a comparison IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You're right, there is no argument defensively. But offensively that's another story. Heisey's a young hitter, unknown by ML pitchers, and he's capitalized on that in a few instances (PH Hrs). But there is no way he has out performed Gomes simply due to the small sample size, and when ones does a breakdown and even greater examination of the numbers (other then simply OPS).

He simply hasn't had enough ABs to be making such a comparison IMO.
    Try this one then. If Jay Bruce were knocking on the door to the Cincinnati Reds and he was being blocked by Jonny Gomes, how mad would you be?

Is Heisey as good as Bruce? probably not. But he does seem very good so far. And I'm not even advocating him being the starter, just on a rotation in the OF. 3 time a week he should start.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Try this one then. If Jay Bruce were knocking on the door to the Cincinnati Reds and he was being blocked by Jonny Gomes, how mad would you be?
    Totally irrelevant. We're not discussing Bruce, he has nothing to do with Heisey, so why "muddy the waters"? Bruce was a #1 pick. Heisey was a 17th rounder. So why use Bruce? Why not Votto? Again, it's irrelevant.

Gomes isn't blocking anyone. We went into this year with a huge question mark at LF, and at the time, Heisey wasn't even in the equation. Heisey didn't even make the OD roster, and only got his shot because CDick went down. If that hadn't occurred, where would Heisey be right now?

Now having said that, I'm glad Chris has performed relatively well during his limited time up here. But this is typical Redzone. Last month it was Heisey should be our everyday CFer because Stubbs was struggling. Over the winter most everyone (not you) was wanting us to resign Gomes and wondering what was holding up this FO.

Yes, Heisey, in again, in his very limited playing capacity, has shown promise. He's just as someone mentioned earlier - the "flavor of the week" - because he's had some solid highlights as a PHer and late inning replacement. But if given more ABs and he all of a sudden starts to falter, people will turn on him just like they have Stubbs and so many other young players who passed through here.

But it's simply ridiculous to use such a very small sample size and say that Chris has out performed Gomes this year. Using your "argument", if Heisey had only appeared in 1 game, but went 4 fer 4, he out performed the three months of numbers by Gomes because his BA, OB%, and OPS are higher. It's silly.

I've already stated I have no problem at all with using Heisey to give rest to the other OFers, and even as a defensive replacement. Not arguing that at all.

Just this notion that 63 ABs has out performed 264.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-08-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?