Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto in the home run derby?

Votto in the home run derby?

Now that it looks like Joey Votto is going to get elected to the all-star game, what is the the chance that he gets into the home run derby??? The last I heard they still had two spots to fill and what better than the NL leading home run man Joey Votto.. Also on a side note, I would love to see Adam Dunn in one of these things.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto in the home run derby?

nahhhhh i dont want him there.

last thing we need is for that to screw with his amazing season he's having.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Don't think Joey has the kind of swing that would be affected by the home run derby. I think it would be great and was thinking about this myself when I saw the low number of players on the NL side. What a story it would be to have the biggest snub win the Derby. It would also be very good for the Reds in a PR situation. Any advertising is good advertising, they say. The Reds are primed to make a huge leap this week being televised twice on MLBN against the phillies. People are talking and thats a good thing being that we want to lure a guy like Cliff Lee here, if he thinks we are in a position to compete and there is some buzz maybe he would sign a LTD. Guys like Rolen and Bronson are going to be a nice tool in comvincing him it's a nice place to be.

I'm glad Joey will probably make the AST.

That said, I hope he doesn't play, and I certainly want him to have no part in the HRD.

The regular season, the post season, and the world series. These are all that matter. Anything else is just unnecessary risk.
    "Another note: Gomes told me yesterday that Rolen and Cabrera congratulate teammates for 10-pitch ABs that end in outs, and for sacrificing themselves to get runners over. Gomes said hes never been on a team that did that, not even the World Series Rays." -PD

I want him to play in the ASG, but no way in the HR Derby
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

If asked I hope he gives a big F U to mlb and declines. He hits too many line drives and to opposite field too much. The derby would affect his swing IMO.

No...wait let me think that over...ah no again, wait maybe i should reconsider...noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

I think 1 time in the HR derby would be ok...I am in the Minority, but it is the best way for him to get recognized like it or not. I am not sold on the HR Derby messing players up. In fact...I think it is kinda silly to think that way.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I think 1 time in the HR derby would be ok...I am in the Minority, but it is the best way for him to get recognized like it or not. I am not sold on the HR Derby messing players up. In fact...I think it is kinda silly to think that way.
    I agree. Players try hitting it over the fence in BP. Votto is a guy who can place his ball anywhere he wants. Griffey played in the HR derby a lot in the 90s and I don't think anyone ever complained about him messing up his swing.

Why do people buy into the myth that the HR derby messes up your swing? It's a ridiculous notion! If anything players who participate in the Derby and struggle in the 2nd half use it as a cop out.

I agree, do people really think trying to hit homreruns for 20 swings is gonna ruin your swing for the rest of the season?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

It's one of those debates that casual baseball fans will never settle....kinda like Harang's infamous relief appearance in Sanny Aygo and whatever subsequent effects in may have caused.

Personally, I would love to see him there.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

It would be interesting to see how the players in the Home Run Derby have fared in the second half over the years. I don't see how it would mess up a swing either.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Although trying to score too early on prom night messed up my love life for years. LOL.

Apparently he was asked to participate but turned it down, per John Fay.

Turn Off Ads?