Thread: Cliff Lee

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Cliff Lee

The Reds have gotta get Lee. He has his own theme song:

YouTube - Tenacious D - Lee (Live) - with Dave Grohl

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I could actually argue that Haren is better than Lee.

The last three years:

Haren

xFIP 3.25
    WHIP 1.117
    K/9 8.7
    GB/FB 1.16

Lee

xFIP 3.50
    WHIP 1.135
    K/9 7.1
    GB/FB 1.00

This year Lee has been better, but some of that is due to his pitching in Safco, as his xFIP indicates. He is actually more of a flyball pitcher than Haren, which is why some have concern over how good he will be in GABP.

Add in that Haren is under control for an extra year, and it's really hard to defend that Lee is light years better than Haren, if he is better at all.
    Dan Haren has given up 138 hits in 123 innings, terrible.

There isn't a number in the world that shows Dan Haren is even remotely in the same league as Cliff Lee right now.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Not sure how people are worried about how Lee would hold up in GABP but think Haren is a good idea...I just don't get it.
    You just stated a strawman. It isn't a comparison of Lee vs. Haren, it is the entire picture of what it would cost to get one vs. the other and the chance that either would improve the Reds chances of the postseason for this year and beyond.

The folks liking the Haren idea do not dismiss him for a slow start to this season (he just shut down the Cards in a recent start btw), like that he has a reasonable contract for two more years, and that he will not demand as much in a package. Throw in Drew and it is the type of deal that could make folks forget the names of the prospects.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

So Haren and Drew will cost less than Lee? I don't get that. I understand that its total package Lee vs Haren but I don't think Haren will be much cheaper if any and I didn't see him carve up the Yankees in hitters parks last postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Look at Lee's numbers In GABP before selling the farm to get him, 4.91 ERA over 5 starts.
    But how many of those starts occured during Lee's peak as a player during the last few years?

I think reading too much into Lee coming to GABP is silly. The guy dominated in Citizen's Bank last year, the ballpark isn't going to be a factor.

I can understand the argument made about prospects, and I can also understand the argument about targeting Dan Haren. But the ballpark argument doesn't stand on solid ground, IMO.

Either way, it's exciting. We're talking about ways this team can improve its stock for this yea to bolster its postseason chances, instead of talking about ways to help for the future .

Alonso + Francisco + another piece of lesser value = do it.

I'm lukewarm on Mesoraco, and that'd be a pretty big price to pay if he was the third piece but I'd probably live with it.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as Alonso is unable to play the outfield, he should be prime trade bait. Additionally, so long as Juan Francisco fails to comprehend what ball four is, I have very little use for him. Lottery ticket players - he's a new version of WMP - are guys I'm just not very interested in. Let Seattle figure out if Francisco will eventually figure out what pitches not to swing at.

Travis Wood is the one rumored Reds prospect that I'd like to keep, if at all possible. If he was the third piece, then Cliff Lee would probably have to win Games 1/4/7 in the World Series for me to be content.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

34 pages on Cliff Lee? This discussion is starting to remind me of the Erik Bedard threads from a few years ago...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Too much. The Reds don't have much power in the minors after these two. If Votto or Bruce or Rolen goes down, you need a stick behind them -- whether it's this year or beyond.

Everyone is pretty much assuming that lee will just be a rental. But if Lee helps us get deep into the playoffs and the reds and fans really reach out to him I would have to think theres a chance he would stay. With Harang and Arroyos contracts done after this year and Cast probably being willing to raise the payroll if we make the playoffs we could possibly offer Lee the 18-20 mill a year he wants. I understand that the most likely scenario is that he signs with the yankees in the offseason but I would have to think we could at least try to sign him. Which would make giving up good prospects for him much easier to swallow.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

I'm lukewarm on Mesoraco, and that'd be a pretty big price to pay if he was the third piece but I'd probably live with it.

As far as I'm concerned, so long as Alonso is unable to play the outfield, he should be prime trade bait. Additionally, so long as Juan Francisco fails to comprehend what ball four is, I have very little use for him. Lottery ticket players - he's a new version of WMP - are guys I'm just not very interested in. Let Seattle figure out if Francisco will eventually figure out what pitches not to swing at.

Travis Wood is the one rumored Reds prospect that I'd like to keep, if at all possible. If he was the third piece, then Cliff Lee would probably have to win Games 1/4/7 in the World Series for me to be content.
    I would do Alonso-Francisco-Wood for Lee in about 12.5 seconds.

I wonder if they'd do Mez-Francisco-Wood instead.

BTW, Wood will have to be a part of this. He's our best LH prospect and Seattle is going to want at least 1 ML ready pitcher.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I would do Alonso-Francisco-Wood for Lee in about 12.5 seconds.
    Crazy.

There are lots of ways to improve the team. Throwing 3 of your top 5/6 prospects (in a good system) at a two-month rental is a good way to blow up a plan to build a team that competes for an extended window of time.

Could the Reds beat a package for Lee that includes B.J. Upton?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,254202
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Could the Reds beat a package for Lee that includes B.J. Upton?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...urn=mlb,254202
    Easily. "Bossman Junior" Upton is one of the most overhyped, underproducing players in MLB today. He hasn't come near a .800 ops in any of the last three seasons, including a whopping .686 last year and .711 this year. With his current payscale and arb status, I wouldn't be surprised if Heisey had similar or greater value right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Crazy.

There are lots of ways to improve the team. Throwing 3 of your top 5/6 prospects (in a good system) at a two-month rental is a good way to blow up a plan to build a team that competes for an extended window of time.
    Do you want to compete, or do you want to win the World Series? I think Lee takes us to that level this year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Too much. The Reds don't have much power in the minors after these two. If Votto or Bruce or Rolen goes down, you need a stick behind them -- whether it's this year or beyond.
    I think you may be valuing those guys a bit more than they're worth. I've been less than impressed with the performances of both Alonso and Francisco, and I'm not very high on their long-term potential.

It's an interesting twist of events; the Reds haven't been able to develop pitching for well ... eternity. But suddenly now I'm more confident in their pitching prospects than their hitting prospects.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?