Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee

Re: Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    There's no way I would trade Bruce for Lee. Alonso? Heck yes.
    I'm almost on board with this.I'm just surprised that more people aren't wanting an outfielder for a package that would include Alonso.Seems like the preference would be Lee over a guy like Sizemore.I would much rather the Reds try to package Alonso and Stubbs for Grady then I would want them to get a rental for the final few months.

Once again I'd really like to add Lee but I just think the Reds could improve the team for the stretch and do so with the teams future in mind as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hey, remember all those chances the Reds have had over the last fifteen years to make it to the postseason?

Yeah, me neither.

If you can get Lee, you search for the dotted line to sign.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Meh, I'm just in the camp that thinks Bruce is too much of a free swinger and that he'll not likely reach where we all thought he would when he first came up. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Franceour. I hope like hell he proves me way off as I've been many times before. Of course, a right field solution would need to found, but this is Cliff Lee we're talking about.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Meh, I'm just in the camp that thinks Bruce is too much of a free swinger and that he'll not likely reach where we all thought he would when he first came up. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Franceour. I hope like hell he proves me way off as I've been many times before. Of course, a right field solution would need to found, but this is Cliff Lee we're talking about.
    Jeff Francoeur averages a BB every 21 PA's Bruce every 11, they really aren't that similar, plus Bruce has more power.

Cliff Lee is nice, but as a rental I wouldn't trade Bruce.

Not at all a fair comparison, Jay Bruce isn't at all close to as free a swinger. As a matter of fact I'd venture to say (without benefit of the numbers in front of me) that Jay is much closer to average in his discipline than he is the far and poor extreme of Francouer. And I agree with the others who say no way do I deal Bruce for Lee.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bruce is on pace for 80+ walks this season.

Even if he's an .850 OPS rightfielder, I still trade him for Lee. Every 5th day you have Lee instead of Bailey? Goodness.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jeff Francoeur averages a BB every 21 PA's Bruce every 11, they really aren't that similar, plus Bruce has more power.

Cliff Lee is nice, but as a rental I wouldn't trade Bruce.
    Yeah, OK. There's still something about his plate approach that makes me more of a skeptic on him than most. He's still a good player, but I'm not sure if he's going to be that perennial .900+ OPS guy I thought he was a lock to be. But he is a good defender. My point was that I'm not sure I'd let Bruce stand in the way of getting a stud like Lee down the stretch if a reasonable solution for this year could be found in RF.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Even if he's an .850 OPS rightfielder, I still trade him for Lee. Every 5th day you have Lee instead of Bailey? Goodness.
    He's going to be an .850 OPS RF who plays GG defense and is 23. I certainly don't trade 4 more years of that or better replaced by (who?) for 1/2 season of Cliff Lee instead of Bailey. Cliff Lee does not make this team WS caliber. And even if he did, that's a steep, steep price to pay.

I can't believe how some people want to act like Bruce is a finished product. The guy is 3 years younger than Votto. Votto was in AAA at this age. He's only 7 months older than Mike Leake who was just drafted last year. Furthermore, Bruce is at 12% BB rate and 25% K rate. Compare that to Votto's 13%/23% in 2009 and 14%/27% this year. Bruce simply isn't a hacker. Yes, he strikes out a fair bit -- most guys who ISO north of .200 do.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

For Bruce, no thanks.
    For Alonso, every day of the week (and then some.)

I'm starting to develop a theory through nothing other than my own suspicion. I have been complaining for a little while that there are several posters around here that tend to overvalue prospects. My theory is that these tend to be the younger posters, the guys that haven't been around to witness the infrequency with which these players often reach their potential. They probably weren't really old enough to remember the Reds in the World Series, and they definitely weren't alive for the Big Red Machine. Now, there is no way of really knowing if this is true or not, but I have a feeling that this is the case.

Those of us that remember 1990 would trade any prospect in the system other than Chapman for a chance to relive that any day of the week. Those of us that remember the disappointments of Kurt Stillwell, Tracy Jones, John Roper, Austin Kearns, Willie Greene, Kal Daniels, Van Snider, Paul Householder, etc. etc. etc. do not lament over the "risk" of trading away a Yonder Alonso, especially if/when he has nowhere to play in Cincinnati.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He's going to be an .850 OPS RF who plays GG defense and is 23. I certainly don't trade 4 more years of that or better replaced by (who?) for 1/2 season of Cliff Lee instead of Bailey. Cliff Lee does not make this team WS caliber. And even if he did, that's a steep, steep price to pay.

I can't believe how some people want to act like Bruce is a finished product. The guy is 3 years younger than Votto. He's only 7 months older than Mike Leake.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hey, remember all those chances the Reds have had over the last fifteen years to make it to the postseason?

Yeah, me neither.

If you can get Lee, you search for the dotted line to sign.
    So at all cost win now?

I'm really fine with trading any prospect but there are a few that I'd like to get something in return that wouldn't skip town for the Yankees once the season ends.

While I've never voiced my opinion much on the matter I'm in the camp, that the Reds shouldn't go out of their way to get a fly ball pitcher.I pretty sure that Lee has that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I can't believe how some people want to act like Bruce is a finished product. The guy is 3 years younger than Votto. He's only 7 months older than Mike Leake.
    I'm saying I don't care if he isn't a finished product. Lee makes the Reds a lot closer to a WS contender than Bruce.

Put it this way: without Lee and with Bruce, then the Reds are certainly not a WS contender this year--or next year, or the year after that. Who knows when they will be? WS contention isn't currently inside this organization. Maybe they draft a Lincecum and get over that hump in the meantime, but I doubt it.

I'm saying I don't care if he isn't a finished product. Lee makes the Reds a lot closer to a WS contender than Bruce.

Put it this way: without Lee and with Bruce, then the Reds are certainly not a WS contender this year--or next year, or the year after that. Who knows when they will be? WS contention isn't currently inside this organization. Maybe they draft a Lincecum and get over that hump in the meantime, but I doubt it.
    If the price for CC was LaPorta, I can't see Lee costing Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If the price for CC was LaPorta, I can't see Lee costing Jay Bruce.
    It may not. And you certainly don't overpay if you don't have to. But I was stating the highest asking price.

Turn Off Ads?