Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indians Claim Drew Sutton

Indians Claim Drew Sutton

Didn't see this elsewhere: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...medium=twitter

Indians Claim Drew Sutton
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 6, 2010 at 2:37pm CST]
    The Indians claimed Drew Sutton off of waivers from the Reds and optioned him to Triple A Columbus, according to both clubs on Twitter. Sutton, 27, appeared in two major league games this year and 42 games last year, but most of his pro career has come in the minors.

He has a career OPS of .810 in the minor leagues, including a .262/.366/.365 line so far in 2010. Even though he has just 291 big league plate appearances, Sutton has already played second, third, short and both corner outfield positions for the Reds.

The Indians have been watching the waiver wire all week; they lost Wes Hodges to the Rockies Tuesday, only to re-claim him yesterday.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indians Claim Drew Sutton

So we're making room for somone

dp
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 08-06-2010 at 04:08 PM.

It's interesting that Walt Jocketty gives up so many players on waivers. He never seems to claim anyone for the Reds. The only player he has claimed is Andy Phillips, and the Reds later lost him on waivers, too.

Andy Phillips (claimed by New York Mets)
    Marcus McBeth (claimed by Boston Red Sox)
    Todd Coffey (claimed by Milwaukee Brewers)
    Ramon Ramirez (claimed by Tampa Bay Rays)
    Craig Tatum (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
    Pedro Viola (claimed by Baltimore Orioles)
    Drew Sutton (claimed by Cleveland Indians)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It's interesting that Walt Jocketty gives up so many players on waivers.
    With the talent the Reds have in the majors and AAA, it's unlikely Walt would ever see anyone worth claiming. And with that wealth of talent, losing a guy like Sutton isn't much of a loss.

So now Sutton switches from a hunter to the prey. Columbus will have a very difficult time maintaining a lead on the Bats.

I can see Sappelt coming up from Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I can see Sappelt coming up from Carolina.
    I can see Stubbs coming down after Dickerson returns, and Costanzo or Negron up from AA. If Sappelt comes up, the bats have only one guy who can play backup infield, Michael Griffin, and he is our centerfielder until Dickerson comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    I can see Stubbs coming down after Dickerson returns, and Costanzo or Negron up from AA. If Sappelt comes up, the bats have only one guy who can play backup infield, Michael Griffin, and he is our centerfielder until Dickerson comes back.
    But Griffin wouldn't be our CF if Sappelt comes up.

It could be Terrero too.

We may need two Mudcats if Dickerson goes up.

I'm just reading between the lines here, but this move actually goes a long way toward letting Zack Cozart and/or Chris Valaika making the major league roster out of spring training. Both Kris Negron and Jake Kahaulelio will likely get promoted from Chattanooga, and it would be difficult to find enough playing time between two teams for Valaika, Cozart, Janish, Negron, Kahaulelio, and anyone else they're likely to bring in.

Could Grandal be looking for a spot on the 40 man?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    But Griffin wouldn't be our CF if Sappelt comes up.

It could be Terrero too.

We may need two Mudcats if Dickerson goes up.
    If Dickerson comes up, it would probably be Stubbs who comes down, so he can get playing time, and break out of his slump in time for a September call up, so another Mudcat would not have to be called up. I hope Sappelt, but I think it will be Terrero if it is an outfielder, as the Reds have shown a extreme reluctance to promote young position players from AA this year. In fact there only has been one position player who has made their AAA debut this year, Zach Cozart, and he was on the Bats playoff roster last year, though he did not play. Alonso was on the playoff roster and did play, so he did not really make his AAA debut this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Could Grandal be looking for a spot on the 40 man?
    I'm sure he'd like it, but I really doubt his agent's pushing for it. I haven't seen anything suggesting that he's requiring it. When it was thought to be a sure thing that Grandal would go to the Royals with the fourth pick, he was expected to sign for around $3M (although some reports said he was expecting about $6M). Because he dropped all the way to the Reds at #12, it'll be interesting to see how far above slot he'd require to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    If Dickerson comes up, it would probably be Stubbs who comes down, so he can get playing time, and break out of his slump in time for a September call up, so another Mudcat would not have to be called up. I hope Sappelt, but I think it will be Terrero if it is an outfielder, as the Reds have shown a extreme reluctance to promote young position players from AA this year. In fact there only has been one position player who has made their AAA debut this year, Zach Cozart, and he was on the Bats playoff roster last year, though he did not play. Alonso was on the playoff roster and did play, so he did not really make his AAA debut this year.
    I'm not expert and am not close to the situation, but it seems like the Bats will get two players soon.

1. Dickerson to the Reds to fill the 40 man spot vacated by Sutton and Stubbs to the bats to get him going for a couple weeks.

2. Sutton is probably replaced by an organizational guy who wouldn't be impacted by a lack of PT. I'm guessing Eric Eymann to the Bats bench or something along those lines.

Sappelt probably stays getting regular ABs in AA, while the Bats OF would have Dorn, Stubbs and Balentien most nights. The Bats IF of Alonso, Valaika, Cozart and Frazier would stay intact. The catching tandem of Miller and Denove as well. The team would have three good bench types in Castillo, Griffin and Eymann as it pushes for the play-offs.

If the Reds recall Stubbs at some point prior to Aug 31, I'm guessing Francisco will come down and then we may see Sappelt to AAA. Just a hunch.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm just reading between the lines here, but this move actually goes a long way toward letting Zack Cozart and/or Chris Valaika making the major league roster out of spring training. Both Kris Negron and Jake Kahaulelio will likely get promoted from Chattanooga, and it would be difficult to find enough playing time between two teams for Valaika, Cozart, Janish, Negron, Kahaulelio, and anyone else they're likely to bring in.
    Carolina.

The only reason they did this, from what I can understand, is to make room for Dickerson, who's on the 60-day disabled list.
    Kahau is a prospect, Negron really isn't. He's a great clubhouse guy and great glove but I don't really see it happening. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Carolina.

The only reason they did this, from what I can understand, is to make room for Dickerson, who's on the 60-day disabled list.
    Kahau is a prospect, Negron really isn't. He's a great clubhouse guy and great glove but I don't really see it happening. I could be wrong though.
    Hah! I can't believe I did that. I was looking at Chattanooga's team page as I typed that.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    2. Sutton is probably replaced by an organizational guy who wouldn't be impacted by a lack of PT. I'm guessing Eric Eymann to the Bats bench or something along those lines.
    Nice call, Eyemann has been promoted to Aaa today

Turn Off Ads?