Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Juan Francisco

Re: Juan Francisco

Nevermind

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really having a difficult time understanding why there wasn't one single mention of Juan Francisco in today's Hot Sheet...

The top batter on today's hot sheet was Gerald Laird... Here's his line:
    .520/.600/.920 (13-for-25), 7 R, 2 2B, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 5 BB, 4 SO

Juan's for the week?
    4 HR's, 13 rbi, 10/21 .476 ba, and 8 r's...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Help a semi-n00b out. Is Francisco major league ready? If not, how far away do y'all think he is?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
    Help a semi-n00b out. Is Francisco major league ready? If not, how far away do y'all think he is?
    Its a heck of a question Tex. Francisco is easily the most confounding player in the organization IMO. He is very productive but he does it in a manner that many doubt will be able to continue as he goes up the ladder, yet he continues to hit whereever he goes. The only way we'll know about Francisco IMO is to give him a try. Anything could happen and he could be a power plant or a quick fizzle, but I'm guessing we'll never see enough in AAA to be able to predict much. The question is; do you gamble he'll come through and expose him and hurt his value if he doesn't or do you deal him for something with more certainty but less upside? Personally, I'd make a deal, but if the Reds keep him, I think its time for a move to the majors.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
    No one with his current K/BB rate (his rate in AAA) in the majors has ever been able to put together a solid career. Until he gets his better in line, its not very likely that he will be 'ready'. With that said, I think he could be a few adjustments away from being there and it honestly is one of those things where it might just click one day and he will be fine from that day forward.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are many, many differences between Francisco and Brandon Larson that the comparison is not meaningful IMO. There is no basis for comparison.

The primary difference is that JF is demolishing AAA pitching at age 23. At the same age, Larson was just entering AA ball.

Larson entered AAA at 24, but his first full season at Louisville was at age 25. And his OPS in 2001 at age 25 was .727 at AAA, not the .900 plus that Francisco is putting up.

Larson did dominate at AAA at age 26-27, but that tells us little. Lots of career minor leaguers put up good AAA numbers as mature players.

JF's big problem, a lack of walks, didn't plague Larson to the same extent. In other words, Larson had entirely different hitting issues - his problem was not a history of bad plate discipline.

The two are not comparable.
    The 2 are comparable they can both hit the cover off the ball in the minors, but it didn't translate for Brandon and unless something changes it isn't gonna translate for Juan either. Sure different reasons very likely same end result.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No one with his current K/BB rate (his rate in AAA) in the majors has ever been able to put together a solid career. Until he gets his better in line, its not very likely that he will be 'ready'. With that said, I think he could be a few adjustments away from being there and it honestly is one of those things where it might just click one day and he will be fine from that day forward.
    What doug means in his first statement is that no one has had success in the majors with his K/BB rate. doug (nor anyone else) hasn't done the research for the minor leagues, so that statement isn't quite as damning as it might sound.

And, as to his second assertion, I agree wholeheartedly. Francisco is an adjustment or two away from being a productive major league hitter. He's seeing more and more pitches in Louisville and, mostly, crushing a pitch or two a game. (He's missed at least ten homers by inches this season at home. No joke.)

Defensively, Francisco has a phenomenal arm-- both accurate and strong. His speed is non-existent and his pear-shaped body doesn't help much. (He could perhaps be average or just below that if he lost some weight, ate right, and got in good shape. As is, he looks like an accountant playing ball.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    What doug means in his first statement is that no one has had success in the majors with his K/BB rate. doug (nor anyone else) hasn't done the research for the minor leagues, so that statement isn't quite as damning as it might sound.
    What isn't brought up here is that most everyone has a worse K/BB in the majors than in the minors. Right now, Francisco probably needs to be about twice as good as he currently is in terms of drawing walks compared to strikeouts. You just don't see guys do that.

Just continues to hit...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?