Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=11431

Devin Mesoraco, C, Reds(Double-A Carolina): 3-for-4, 2B, 3B, HR (8), 3 R, 2 RBI, K

With all of the great hitting performances we've had in the minors this year, how many people are aware that Mesoraco is hitting .313/.379/.613 across two levels? With 18 home runs in 290 at-bats, he's already doubled his previous season-high, and the 2007 first-round pick has shined behind the plate as well, gunning down 13 of 25 potential base stealers since his promotion to Double-A. All but off the radar coming into the year, he's back as one of the better catching prospects around.

Re: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Great that someone will give him his just due.

How many ABs do you guys give him at AA before you start thinking about maybe pushing him to AAA? He should probably stick out the year in AA, but if he continues his torrid hitting you have to at least consider it an option right?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Great that someone will give him his just due.

How many ABs do you guys give him at AA before you start thinking about maybe pushing him to AAA? He should probably stick out the year in AA, but if he continues his torrid hitting you have to at least consider it an option right?
    Perhaps August call up as the Bats push for the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Perhaps August call up as the Bats push for the playoffs?
    If I was answering the question that would make the most sense. They have done it through the last few years with guys like Yonder, and Bruce.

It would give him a chance to get used to the staff, and give them the ability to send him back to AA to start 2010 if they really wanted to.

I'd like to see Mez stay down for the entire season. If he continues to succeed, have him start at AAA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd like to see Mez stay down for the entire season. If he continues to succeed, have him start at AAA next year.
    Mez will start in AAA next year no matter what happens the rest of the year. I'd like to see him stay in AA the rest of the year. I hope he continues to mash...
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I agree with this. They've been more aggressive with some other guys, but Mez is a catcher and those guys have a lot of extra demands on them, so I lean towards patience here. Plenty for a catcher to learn at each level, even if the stats say he's kicking tail.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

gotta agree with doug here. a late season call up rewards and challenges him a bit. Plus he gets to catch 1-2 guys he'll be working with next year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think Walt will leave him in Carolina through the rest of the season. Carolina has a chance to make the playoffs, while Louisville is 8 games behind Syracuse for the Wild Card spot. Not, that either of those scenarios should have anything to do with moving him up or keeping him down.

Both Leagues end on September 6th. So, Mesoraco can have more playing time at Carolina. Plus, he's been there for far too short a time.

AA is the best place for a Catcher to learn his craft. Mesoraco's fundamentals behind the plate are going to be finalized where he's at right now.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-09-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think Walt will leave him in Carolina through the rest of the season. Carolina has a chance to make the playoffs, while Louisville is 8 games behind Syracuse for the Wild Card spot. Not, that either of those scenarios should have anything to do with moving him up or keeping him down.

Both Leagues end on September 6th. So, Mesoraco can have more playing time at Carolina. Plus, he's been there for far too short a time.

AA is the best place for a Catcher to learn his craft. Mesoraco's fundamentals behind the plate are going to be finalized where he's at right now.
    I agree leave him there for now and maybe even to start next season. I think he's finally in a comfortable place offensively allowing for him to concentrate on the finer points of catching for awhile.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I know he was struggling early on in AA, how long has he been back on track?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He really only 'struggled' for about a week. He hit .284/.320/.522 in June. He only had 8 at bats in May for Carolina. In July he has hit .261/.346/.696.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    He struggled like his first week in AA iirc, then he's been money ever since.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    He struggled like his first week in AA iirc, then he's been money ever since.
    Good to hear indeed.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

There'd be nothing wrong with him starting next year in AA.

Sappelt can start in High-A next year. Mez can be moved up at the end of May, beginning of June.

Turn Off Ads?