Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Re: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Any chance, if he continues to rake in AA, that the Reds bring him up to the majors after the minor league season ends? Just for a cup of coffee and a chance to see how the Big League catchers go about their business?
    I would bet my life savings, all 450 dollars, that there is 0% chance that happens. that kind of stuff can be done in spring training.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Any chance, if he continues to rake in AA, that the Reds bring him up to the majors after the minor league season ends? Just for a cup of coffee and a chance to see how the Big League catchers go about their business?
    I like that idea. Wouldn't hurt to give him a start or two would it?

Re: Mes's year to this point, he's now at .950 in 100 or so plate appearances at AA after the 1.000+ in high A to start the season. That puts him around .975 for the season as a just turned 22-year-old. Hard to imagine there are too many catchers out there who have matched or exceeded that across the minors.

At the least, the Reds have taken a #1 draft pick that they took a lot of flak for and developed him enough to make him an interesting target for teams in trade talks. At the best, they have a potential long-term solution to help in the majors at some point in 2011 who will be cost effective for years.

Mes has easily been the massive bright spot for the minors this season, and I tip my hat to his coahces and to the work he as obviously put in. Nice to see.

Any chance, if he continues to rake in AA, that the Reds bring him up to the majors after the minor league season ends?
    If he continues to hit like this, there is a chance. But the fact that he's not on the 40-man puts the odds pretty long against it. The question in my mind is, who's behind Corky on the depth chart? I have to think the team would favor defensive skills if they run into an injury problem and need that 4th catcher down the stretch. Who's the best defensively among Castillo, Denove and Mesoraco?

Mesoraco has thrown out more at a higher percentage, then Wilkin then Denove. Im guessing Devin is the better of the 3.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd like to see Mez stay down for the entire season. If he continues to succeed, have him start at AAA next year.
    I agree with this. They've been more aggressive with some other guys, but Mez is a catcher and those guys have a lot of extra demands on them, so I lean towards patience here. Plenty for a catcher to learn at each level, even if the stats say he's kicking tail.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Mesoraco has thrown out more at a higher percentage, then Wilkin then Denove. Im guessing Devin is the better of the 3.
    That's encouraging, but what matters most are the receiving and game-calling skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There'd be nothing wrong with him starting next year in AA.

Sappelt can start in High-A next year. Mez can be moved up at the end of May, beginning of June.
    Huh?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I would bet my life savings, all 450 dollars, that there is 0% chance that happens. that kind of stuff can be done in spring training.
    I'll take that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    If it happens, you will never be broke because I will always owe you.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    If it happens, you will never be broke because I will always owe you.
    I wouldn't want you to feel that way. It's really no problem for me to come by your place to pick up the money. Just PM me the address.

Does anyone have any comps for a player like Mez, who spent three years in the minors never having put up an OPS better than .710 to suddenly explode like he has this year?

Just curious to see if there are other examples out there, and if so what their careers looked like after the monster season.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Does anyone have any comps for a player like Mez, who spent three years in the minors never having put up an OPS better than .710 to suddenly explode like he has this year?

Just curious to see if there are other examples out there, and if so what their careers looked like after the monster season.
    Carlos Santana has had almost the exactly same minor league career. Not that they are the same type of hitter, but Santana didnt do much of anything until his age 22 season in A and AA ball.

Also, if you are looking for comps, factor in two years of thumb injuries for Mes prior to this.

The Reds have, per a Fay or Sheldon tweet last night.

Mes now at .301/.354/.637 for a .991 OPS in 113 ABs at AA since his call-up. 9 HR, 21 RBI, 29 R, 9 doubles and 1 triple. 1 SB, just because.

At A ball prior to his call-up, he was .335/.414/.620 for a 1.035 OPS in 158 ABs. 10 HR, 31 RBI, 24 R, 11 doubles, 2 triples. 2 SB, just because.

If his success at AA continues anywhere close to where he is now, I am moving him up my prospect list ahead of a certain Cuban import. Catchers who can hit, and hit with power, and defend, are rare, rare things. And, at 22, maybe the Reds have one that can.

This is as exciting a development from a minor leaguer in the Reds system at a position of need as I can remember in a long, long time.

Turn Off Ads?