Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Re: Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus on Devin Mesoraco

Kudus to Doug for apperaing to be right about a prospect when he seemed to be the only one defending his position... Again. (and to anyone else who agreed without him, but I really don't remember anyone else)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Kudus to Doug for apperaing to be right about a prospect when he seemed to be the only one defending his position... Again. (and to anyone else who agreed without him, but I really don't remember anyone else)
    Maybe you have me on ignore then.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Maybe you have me on ignore then.
    nope. Just a bad memory. Kudus to you too.

I know there were some, I just couldn't remember who they were. I just know I was not one of them..
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

If you want a refresher on the scope of a lot of the Mes talk, here's a link to a search on the minors forum that gets you the prime threads:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/searc...earchid=432550

Is he still retiring?

Very cool stuff on him. Always great to see stuff like this.

haha one thread topic was Mesoraco vs. Mitch Canham.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=canham001mit

There was some more interesting chatter around page six of this thread when Mes was only ranked the 30th best prospect in the system at the end of 2009:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79392

Absolutely membengal. If he continues this pace throughout the rest of this season, he has to be the systems #1 prospect. He also has to be the 3rd best rated catcher left in the minors behind Montero, who'll probably end up a DH and Arencibia who is 24 and is putting up better #'s at AAA than Mez is at both levels combined. ( http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=450317 )... A lot of people overlook value of position. Catchers and SS are the two hardest positions to develop in the Minors. They are the two most demanding positions on the field defensively and if you can get anything out of them offensively, that seems to be a bonus. Mez has the rare chance of being both. A solid defensive catcher who could just put up some strong #4 in the lineup type numbers in a couple years playing half his games in GABP.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Also it will be interesting to see how he hold up over the last 50 games or so. He will reach his career high in AB's in about 4 games and career high in games caught by the first week of August. I wonder if he will hit a fatigue factor as a result. Either which way, I see him probably getting a look see in the AFL to see how he fairs against top end prospects like himself.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I think it's fair to say no one predicted the kind of breakout we're seeing. A couple lessons probably gleanable from what's happened....

Doug's insistence on peripherals was on target in this case.

If your thumbs hurt, it's hard to catch and it's hard to hit.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    There was some more interesting chatter around page six of this thread when Mes was only ranked the 30th best prospect in the system at the end of 2009:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79392
    Also note some of the Travis Wood discussion.

The NL's best offense could get better next season if Mes is ready and able to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Absolutely membengal. If he continues this pace throughout the rest of this season, he has to be the systems #1 prospect. He also has to be the 3rd best rated catcher left in the minors behind Montero, who'll probably end up a DH and Arencibia who is 24 and is putting up better #'s at AAA than Mez is at both levels combined. ( http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=450317 )... A lot of people overlook value of position. Catchers and SS are the two hardest positions to develop in the Minors. They are the two most demanding positions on the field defensively and if you can get anything out of them offensively, that seems to be a bonus. Mez has the rare chance of being both. A solid defensive catcher who could just put up some strong #4 in the lineup type numbers in a couple years playing half his games in GABP.
    I would take Mesoraco over Arencibia without thinking about it. Defense baby. Arencibia isn't a good defender at all. Lots of power, very questionable plate discipline and the league he is playing in is incredibly hitter friendly. The power is legit, he has killed it wherever he has ever played. Catcher is an interesting position right now to rank in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?