Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds need to pull out of trade market

Re: Reds need to pull out of trade market

Quote Originally Posted by Trace's Daddy View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Rangers & Reds In On Lee; Talks With Yanks Slow

3:33pm: The Reds have spoken "extensively" with the Mariners about acquiring Lee in the past 48 hours, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Price reports that the Reds are going "all-out" for Lee (Twitter link).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Even though the Reds are ranked 20th+ in every major pitching category you dont think they need to add a pitcher?

mlbtraderumors now says Rangers got Lee

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...cliff-lee.html

Rangers acquire Cliff Lee.

Reds fans acquire an ulcer.

Lee has been acquired by the Rangers for Justin Smoak and 3 other prospects. Reds package wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Reds package wasn't good enough.
    Dammit...........I had my hopes up a little. :thumbdown
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

SEA is kicking in $2.5 million in order to help offset the $4 million owed to Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    The Yankees have that luxury because they can always go out and sign 1-2 top FA's in the offseason if the deal doesn't work out. The lost talent they trade can always be replenished by reaping the benefits of their insane payroll.

The Reds can't play that game without putting their next 5 years at risk. If they trade away 2 or 3 players that end up being quality starting players at their position at the league minimum, they just threw away their chances at competing for a few years most likely. Two different markets, two different philosophies. It just has to be that way, it's the reality of things. You can't fault the Reds F.O. for not being able to pull the trigger like the Yankees can.
    If 2 or 3 minor leaguers are putting the Reds next 5 years at risk we have one crappy franchise. Do you realize the talent we have stockpiled in AAA, we have plenty of SP prospects we can easily afford to trade one, we have Yonder blocked by Joey. We have Frazier, Heisey, Stubbs, Francisco/Alonso, Chapman, Leake, Votto, Bruce, Hanigan, Volquez, Cueto, Masset, Ondrusek, Wood, Maloney, Smith, Bray, and more all here and all cheap for the next few years. Plus plenty of low level talent that will replace some of these guys.

I would rather make a push when we have a team, then be afraid to "mortgage" the future. We have been building for the future 10 years, the future is now, let's go for it.

Not to mention we get either a 1st and a supplemental, or a supplemental and a 2nd rounder for Lee. Basically replacing a majority of the talent we give up. Not to mention, the jury is still out on Yonder. I still think we get this worked out because Jocketty/Bob C know how and want to win.

Not to mention that I'd MUCH rather have an established, quality major league guy (let alone a stud like Lee) than a prospect. How many great prospects have come through the Reds, and every other, organization only to never materialize. I guess I'm a bird in the hand kind of guy.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Would you have given up Bruce for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Not to mention that I'd MUCH rather have an established, quality major league guy (let alone a stud like Lee) than a prospect. How many great prospects have come through the Reds, and every other, organization only to never materialize. I guess I'm a bird in the hand kind of guy.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Back to the point of the thread: now that Lee is off the table I don't see another arm that has near as much impact that we can get for a reasonable price. Haren and Oswalt have more years left and will be costly acquisitions for a much smaller impact imo. Time for Walt to shift focus and look for a few moves to improve the bench and bullpen. Volquez is our big name starter acquisition before the deadline.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    With it looking like the evil empire will add to their wealth and add Cliff Lee, I really don't see any other possible pitcher on the market outside of Oswalt whom would be that significant of an upgrade over what the Reds already have. As for Oswalt, unless the Stros would be willing to eat some portion of his remaining contract, he is not coming to cincy, nor do I see them dealing him to a division rival. So lets forget about Haren or anyone else, see what Edinison can bring when called up and keep our young talent and go with what has gotten us here. Adding a difference maker like Lee is one thing, trading for talent equal to what you already have is pointless.
    We have an ACE in Cueto (only 3 earned runs given up over his last 5 starts despite not having his best stuff w/ a K/BB ratio of 15/14).

We may have another ACE in Volquez.

We have another pitcher who leads all of the National League against Right-handers and who has one of the best ERA's over the last 12 months in Arroyo.

We have other capable pitchers, too.

Lee would have been great. Oswalt would be great, too.

But, there isn't anyone I'd want over Leake, Travis Wood and Homer Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We have an ACE in Cueto (only 3 earned runs given up over his last 5 starts despite not having his best stuff w/ a K/BB ratio of 15/14).

We have another pitcher who leads all of the National League against Right-handers and who has one of the best ERA's over the last 12 months in Arroyo.

We have other capable pitchers, too.

Lee would have been great. Oswalt would be great, too.

But, there isn't anyone I'd want over Leake, Travis Wood and Homer Bailey.
    Cueto is not an "ACE" he is a good #2 guy. Hitters aren't thinking aww crap when they have to face Cueto lke they are Halladay, Carpenter, Lee, Sabathia, etc.

Volquez pitched like an "ACE" in '08, hopefully he pitches like one once he returns.

Really? Leake is going to be on limited innings late in the season. Wood has 2 major league starts. Homer has about 35 bad major league starts and 10 good ones, and only 1 of those was this season (against PIT).

Give me LeCure again before Homer. I really don't think Homer has "it", he lacks desire, and seems like he is one of those guys who thinks he knows better than the coaches. I know, I know, he is only 24, but soon he will be 25 and then 26...

I like Leake and Wood as much as anyone else but they are rookies and going to approaching unchartered territory for both of them, we could definitely use some experienced rotation help as long as we don't overpay for it.

Go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...page=23&age=23 and look at those similar players, just a scary group.

And then look at Jay Bruce's http://www.baseball-reference.com/fr...page=22&age=22 a much better group.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-09-2010 at 05:41 PM.

I am no where NEAR ready to make that assumption yet:

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Turn Off Ads?