Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rolen out tonight w/ back issues....

Rolen out tonight w/ back issues....

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments.

Scott Rolen is out of Friday's lineup because of a sore back.

Uh oh. Miguel Cairo is filling in tonight. Rolen is probably day-to-day, but with his history of back problems, this isn't to be taken lightly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen out tonight w/ back issues....

Any news on a replacement for Ramon or are we going to play with 22 players tonight?

Not good news. Hopefully he just needs a little rest.

Johnny Cueto Fan

This isn't good..I hope it's not serious. I hope he sits out of the all-star game if he doesn't play the rest of the series.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Scary news. Thank god for the All-Star break. Hopefully this isn't that bad and Scott can play in a few days/also play the Alll-Star game to boot, then come back healthy after the break.

Something in me feels like that won't be the case though. Back spasms, sore knee, sore back ... feels like this won't go away quick and easy. To play with a short bench and have to start Cairo the rest of this series really puts the chances of a sweep much higher as well. Dangerous stretch here for the Reds, hopefully they're still 2-3 games up going into the break.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by KOBasinger View Post
    This isn't good..I hope it's not serious. I hope he sits out of the all-star game if he doesn't play the rest of the series.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Any news on a replacement for Ramon or are we going to play with 22 players tonight?

he is on DL

Lets review here people, Rolen is like 36, we KNOW he can't go 150+ games. I would sit him the rest of the games vs. Philly, tell him to "skip' the All Star stuff since he has been before and get ready and have a weeks worth of rest and treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    Scary news. Thank god for the All-Star break. Hopefully this isn't that bad and Scott can play in a few days/also play the Alll-Star game to boot, then come back healthy after the break.

Something in me feels like that won't be the case though. Back spasms, sore knee, sore back ... feels like this won't go away quick and easy. To play with a short bench and have to start Cairo the rest of this series really puts the chances of a sweep much higher as well. Dangerous stretch here for the Reds, hopefully they're still 2-3 games up going into the break.
    Janish can start at 3rd Base now that Hanigan's up to catch this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Janish can start at 3rd Base now that Hanigan's up to catch this weekend.
    He can, but how often has Dusty decided to go that route in the past? Cairo will be seeing a lot of AB's this weekend, we all know it.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Hanigan is up?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd bring up Francisco for two reasons:

1. Let Rolen take his days off to rest occasionally against righties, and let Francisco play 3B on those days, maintaining some power in the lineup.

2. Showcase him for the trade deadline. If he flops, he flops. If he does well, you either have a solid guy/offense for Rolen's off days or some good trade bait.

I realize Cairo has been pretty solid. But he is a singles/doubles hitter. Francisco has much better slugging potential.

With Heisey taking the role of the 4th OF solidly in his hands dropping Nix and promoting Francisco could be a good move. Probably will take another few weeks of Nix struggling and Cisco slugging though. Those last reserve guys always seem to have to get to the Mendoza line before management realizes they have better options elsewhere.

Actually, now that I think about it, with Volquez coming off the 60 day that may make sense roster-management wise as well. Of course they could take other routes (like putting Lincoln on the 60 day), but if Nix is still struggling at that point the thought has to go through Walt's mind.

Turn Off Ads?