Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Reds Should NOT go After Dan Haren, Zach Greinke or Any Other Pitcher

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

The Reds Should NOT go After Dan Haren, Zach Greinke or Any Other Pitcher

It really sucks that the Reds could not land Cliff Lee. Lee would have helped the Reds in big ways. He is arguably THE best pitcher in the Major Leagues. That is why I believed the Reds should have (and did) made an aggressive move towards acquiring the talent. I think it would have been well worth the price, but the Rangers (and Yanks) made better offers, life sucks, and the Reds need to move on reasonably.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE REDS SHOULD SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON

With Volqueze and Chapman coming up in just a week or so, with options like Wood, Maloney, and Homer Bailey coming back, The Reds ARE solid position right now to compete for a central title. I believe the Reds should now take the philosophy "Where Volqueze goes, the Reds go".

I do not believe that Haren, Greinke or any other pitcher available right now, is worth lessening our farm system for despite there contracts length.

Haren- I am not totally sold that Haren is an ace that the Reds are looking for. McCallester said that he is not even sure if he is much better then Arroyo or Cueto right now. And I agree with him. unless the Reds can manage a deal that would pick up both Haren AND Stephen Drew, I do not feel that it is potent to sell the farm.

Greinke- The name scares everyone...but he is not have an "Ace" year this year. he has a 3.21 ERA with a 5-8 rec. his whip is good though at 1.16. Unless the Reds can get a Good deal for him, which I don't see them doing since Greinke is really the only thing KC has to offer to their fans at the moment, I do not believe it is a good idea to sell the farm for him either.

Oswalt - I despise the idea of sending OUR minor league talent to an inner division foe. Why shoot ourselves in the foot in more then one way.

Just my 2 cents....Go to war with the troops we have.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds Should NOT go After Dan Haren, Zach Greinke or Any Other Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    It really sucks that the Reds could not land Cliff Lee. Lee would have helped the Reds in big ways. He is arguably THE best pitcher in the Major Leagues. That is why I believed the Reds should have (and did) made an aggressive move towards acquiring the talent. I think it would have been well worth the price, but the Rangers (and Yanks) made better offers, life sucks, and the Reds need to move on reasonably.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THE REDS SHOULD SETTLE FOR SECOND BEST AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON

With Volqueze and Chapman coming up in just a week or so, with options like Wood, Maloney, and Homer Bailey coming back, The Reds ARE solid position right now to compete for a central title. I believe the Reds should now take the philosophy "Where Volqueze goes, the Reds go".

I do not believe that Haren, Greinke or any other pitcher available right now, is worth lessening our farm system for despite there contracts length.

Haren- I am not totally sold that Haren is an ace that the Reds are looking for. McCallester said that he is not even sure if he is much better then Arroyo or Cueto right now. And I agree with him. unless the Reds can manage a deal that would pick up both Haren AND Stephen Drew, I do not feel that it is potent to sell the farm.

Greinke- The name scares everyone...but he is not have an "Ace" year this year. he has a 3.21 ERA with a 5-8 rec. his whip is good though at 1.16. Unless the Reds can get a Good deal for him, which I don't see them doing since Greinke is really the only thing KC has to offer to their fans at the moment, I do not believe it is a good idea to sell the farm for him either.

Oswalt - I despise the idea of sending OUR minor league talent to an inner division foe. Why shoot ourselves in the foot in more then one way.

Just my 2 cents....Go to war with the troops we have.
    Both Haren and especially Oswalt are to expensive for the Reds budget. Greinke's number would improve big time switching to the pitcher friendly NL, but not enough to warrent trading off good young talent for.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Jocketty: Like I said the other day, we were looking for a significant player. I'm not sure there's another guy like him out there.

Zach Greinke would be worth getting no matter the season.

Haren would be a good guy to get to replace arroyo or harang.

Oswalt will never happen.

Though I agree it was a little reach putting his numbers up, I do not believe the cost of the guy (in prospects) would be worth it.

I would still go after Greinke. You said it yourself a 3.21 ERA in the AL to go along with a 1.16 WHIP. Those are terrific numbers. If he came over to the NL Central his ERA would probably be in the low 2's. He's coming off of a CY Young season. I'd like him as much as I would have liked Cliff Lee, he's younger and presumably cheaper.
    "There are high fastballs and then theres Chapman's high fastball" -Chris Welsh

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    I am glad you guys agree...though I was hoping for a little debate
    If you can trade for Greinke and lock him up longterm you'd be crazy not to check the details. that's all the debate i got

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    If you can trade for Greinke and lock him up longterm you'd be crazy not to check the details. that's all the debate i got
    sorry I edited at the last moment.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Jocketty: Like I said the other day, we were looking for a significant player. I'm not sure there's another guy like him out there.
    That is very reassuring. Jocketty reaffirms my faith in his competency as our GM yet again.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Completely agree.

The reds needed a dominating lefty. Not more RH. Were very well of for Rh pitching.

I would like to see the Reds add another arm for the pen and a bat for the bench. Nix is a waste of a roster spot. I don't know about everybody else but I think Bray could be huge down the stretch as well as Edison and Chapman. I was thinking the other day that Dye is still out there...wonder if he would like to join a playoff race on the cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    I would like to see the Reds add another arm for the pen and a bat for the bench. Nix is a waste of a roster spot. I don't know about everybody else but I think Bray could be huge down the stretch as well as Edison and Chapman. I was thinking the other day that Dye is still out there...wonder if he would like to join a playoff race on the cheap?

the arm for the Bull Pen will come by way of a Missile (a Cuban Missile) Aroldis Chapman. If a bat off the bench is all we need out of a player, could we call up Yonder Alonso?

i agree it was either lee or bust. they still could have a potential ace coming with volquez but we still should get bullpen help. anyone kow the offer we gave for lee?

I agree with the sentiment. Haren, I'm sure he's better than what we have. Oswalt, I doubt Houston would trade him within the division (although he'd be a pretty good consolation prize) and I just don't know why in the world Greinke would even be on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I agree with the sentiment. Haren, I'm sure he's better than what we have. Oswalt, I doubt Houston would trade him within the division (although he'd be a pretty good consolation prize) and I just don't know why in the world Greinke would even be on the block.
    Haren- ERA 4.32 ......7-6 Record

Cueto- ERA 3.20...... Record 8-2

Arroyo- ERA 4.40...........Record 9-4

You'd be Surprised!

Turn Off Ads?