Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Revisiting the 2008 draft...#1 pick Tim Beckham

Revisiting the 2008 draft...#1 pick Tim Beckham

With the trade of Justin Smoak and Yonder Alonso rumors, too, it made me think about the top half of the first round. Tampa Bay's #1 pick isn't developing as fast as most thought that he would.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=beckha001tim

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players...86/tim-beckham

The first player selected in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft has not risen through the minors as quickly as the team that drafted him would have liked. Still, Tampa Bay shortstop prospect Tim Beckham is working hard to gain respect in the organization. Playing for the Class A Stone Crabs in Port Charlotte, Fla., Beckham is aware of how important this time in the minors will be to his eventual development into a major leaguer, writes MLB.com on Monday. "It's something I need to go through to be ready for that, and I know that," Beckham said. "Everybody puts in their time. Everybody's been here. I'm not in a rush to get to the big leagues. When I'm ready, I'll be there. I'm not worried about it. Time will tell." For now, more work is necessary due to his .217 batting average with nine doubles, four triples and five homers over 56 games.
    (Updated 06/21/2010).

http://www.raysindex.com/2010/06/tim...-progress.html

Lukevics pointed to a lengthy list of good things about the shortstop, especially drawing attention to his intangibles. The 6-foot, 190-pound Beckham is a potential five-tool player, but Lukevics praised his coachable attitude and strong work ethic more than anything…”I don’t care who you are, when you come into this game, you come in with some type of attitude. In order to have success, you have to have that cocky confidence,” Lukevics said. “Tim has all the intangibles, Tim has all the physical skills to be a Major League player, and he’s going to have to stay after it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Revisiting the 2008 draft...#1 pick Tim Beckham

Weird that this was brought up here. Discussion around Beckham over at Sickels site today on him as well. I will state here what I did there..... he has been disappointing, but he isn't all that far off from the average 20 year old in the FSL. He has an above average walk rate for the league/age, slightly above average power for the league/age and below average strikeout rate. Now certainly, you would like the #1 guy taken to be better than that. Still, he is just 20 years old and the hit tools are still there. Not many left who think he sticks at SS though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not many left who think he sticks at SS though.
    I'm surprised the change hasn't already been made.

I remember that draft didn't they take him because they did not want to pay Alverez and Possy. This was after they had paid Price in 07. Man are they regretting that now I bet? Can't go cheap when you have the number one pick overall. Hosmer from the Royals is really coming along nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 in hall View Post
    I remember that draft didn't they take him because they did not want to pay Alverez and Possy. This was after they had paid Price in 07. Man are they regretting that now I bet? Can't go cheap when you have the number one pick overall. Hosmer from the Royals is really coming along nice as well.
    No. Tim Beckham was the consensus best high school player in the country. He also got 50,000 less than Posey who had the highest bonus in the draft.

So I stand corrected, Thank You for the heads up and your insight Mr Doug. But may I say were quite a bit of the guys in this draft rushed in your opinion?
    G. Beckham is having an awful time. Smoak I think will be fine but the average and OPS are not too good. Ike Davis is doing real well Marusz is having what all of Baltimore is having a rough time. Maybe the injury to Alonso was the best thing for him? Struggle fight through some adversity get some real development. Unlike others I hope we keep him play him in left field I think he will be monster with the bat and about adequate with the glove. Once again thaks Doug. Though I don't think Management will see it that way.

That 2008 draft is full of guys struggling. Big time. Its rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That 2008 draft is full of guys struggling. Big time. Its rather interesting.
    Isnt that the truth. Seems like everyone is willing to trade that 2008 draft as well.

Turn Off Ads?