Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moseying on by

Moseying on by

I was talking with someone about baseball the other day and the Reds came up as a subject and, for the first time in a long time, it caused me to have Reds-related thoughts. Anyway, since I had them I figured I'd share them.

First off, this year's Reds are a testament to the fact the lineups DO matter. On April 27, Brandon Phillips moved up to the #2 slot in the order and Scott Rolen moved up to the #4 slot. Before that, the Reds were 8-11 with a fairly forgettable offense. Since then the Reds have been the class of the NL at the plate and the team has gone 41-27.

Apparently the Scott Rolen trade was a masterstroke. He's really freakin' good. Hall of Fame good. One of the best 3Bs in history good. The Reds prospered immediately when he came over last season and making him the cleanup hitter literally unlocked this lineup. Walt Jocketty deserves all the praise in the world for making the deal and Dusty Baker deserves all the praise in the world for finding the right combination with the players at his disposal.

Joey Votto may be the guy getting all the MVP attention (rightfully so), but I'm not so sure his game gets to this level without Rolen behind him. Phillips also has responded exceedingly well to hitting at the top of the lineup. It makes sense, because the #2 slot (or even the leadoff slot where he's been of late) asks him to be the slash-and-instigate player he is instead of the RBI man he was miscast as in recent years.

It doesn't hurt that Jay Bruce is starting to show why we all were so excited about him and that Jonny Gomes is doing all right vs. RHPs (maybe he really was injured for three years).

Ramon Hernandez has been the kind of tag-along player that princeton once noted Steve Parris was. When the team is bad, Hernandez can't get the job done well enough. When the team is good, he's a useful additive.

And it's kind of exciting the way Chris Heisey has stepped into the majors.

On the pitching side, it is impossible to say enough good things about Bronson Arroyo. Seriously, he deserves a medal for what he's delivered in 4+ years in a Reds uniform.

Sure enough, Johnny Cueto has become a pitcher. Meanwhile Mike Leake has proven an object lesson in the kind of impact a team can get from a starting pitcher who is immediately ready to pitch in the bigs.

Francisco Cordero at the end of the bullpen enforces sanity and structure for the rest of the pitching staff. And Aaron Harang may yet have some positive impact on this season ... not to mention that Edinson Volquez guy.

Anyway, the point is the Reds have a lot of things going right at the moment, the folks in charge deserve praise, and fans of the team should enjoy this run after nine years of misery. There really isn't any reason the Reds shouldn't win the NL Central. They aren't a lock to do it, but it's within their grasp.
    Last edited by M2; 07-09-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moseying on by

Great post, M2. So glad to see you around here again. I hope you stick around.

It is good to read your thoughts again, M2. I have been wondering what happened to you.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

This site needs more M2.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Stay on board, please. Reinforcements are needed.

Great post M2.

He's on the board for ten years, and the Reds are terrible.

He's off the board for three months and the Reds are amazing.

Within an hour of his return to the board, the Reds have their second worst blowup of the season.

Please go away M2
    Go BLUE!!!

Good stuff as always M2. Agree with alot of it though not sure about CoCo anymore he's just not been real strong this season, scuffling to get where he is it seems every outing. Cueto still has a ways to go but I can see baby steps, same with Bruce.

Lineup construction --- yeah spot on it does definitely matter. And well put on Ramon couldn't quite put my finger on it but that sounds like him to a tee.

Perhaps as you say we could try to enjoy it a bit more ---- though we wouldn't be RZ if we did.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Don't be a stranger, M2.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Don't be a stranger, M2.

Agreed!

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'll second that!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Great post. I agree on many accounts. Hope to see your name around here more frequently!
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Brilliant!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He's on the board for ten years, and the Reds are terrible.

He's off the board for three months and the Reds are amazing.

Within an hour of his return to the board, the Reds have their second worst blowup of the season.

Please go away M2
    I really should change my handle to The Red Death.

Hey, saw some of Travis Wood tonight. He looks really good. I like that he spent five years and 627 IP in the minors before he got to the majors. I'll be he knows more about pitching than your average rook.

Oh, and one other thing I wanted to mention -- remember when it was heresy to suggest that Joey Votto was anywhere near as a good a prospect as Brian Dopirak?
    Last edited by M2; 07-10-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Hey, saw some of Travis Wood tonight. He looks really good. I like that he spent five years and 627 IP in the minors before he got to the majors. I'll be he knows more about pitching than your average rook.
    Wood is a case of some nice development work on the part of the Reds, as you suggest.

Guys drafted out of HS take longer. The 2nd round pick of Wood was summarily derided by lots of posters on this board within minutes of the selection. But lookit now....

And in the meantime, here's Mike Leake with 0 IP in the minors. Two very different paths, two very similar pitching athletes. Just goes to show, they get molded in many ways, but there's no substitute for talent.

Turn Off Ads?