Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Oswalt Discussion

Roy Oswalt Discussion

If there's one for Haren, might as well be one for Oswalt now that Lee is gone. Obviously, it's less likely that the Reds get Oswalt given his large salary and the fact that he plays for a division rival, but never say never.

My proposal would be as follows:

Francisco Cordero and any 2 of the following:
    Homer Bailey
    Travis Wood
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Heisey
    Yonder Alonso

for

Roy Oswalt and Matt Lindstrom

I'd put Cordero in the deal to help partially offset the money. Houston would still be off loading 1-2 years of Oswalt's salary in exchange for two blue chippers- three of which have Texas roots (Bailey, Stubbs, and Wood). Cordero can close for Houston next year, while Lindstrom can replace Cordero's production for cheaper. Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but might as well start some discussion.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roy Oswalt Discussion

Why would Houston want Cordero's salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If there's one for Haren, might as well be one for Oswalt now that Lee is gone. Obviously, it's less likely that the Reds get Oswalt given his large salary and the fact that he plays for a division rival, but never say never.

Homer Bailey
    Travis Wood
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Heisey
    Yonder Alonso

for

I'd put Cordero in the deal to help partially offset the money. Houston would still be off loading 1-2 years of Oswalt's salary in exchange for two blue chippers- three of which have Texas roots (Bailey, Stubbs, and Wood). Cordero can close for Houston next year, while Lindstrom can replace Cordero's production for cheaper. Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but might as well start some discussion.
    Actually, I have simiar thoughts, but its Harang that I think should go back the other way. Add in Wood, Alonso, Valaika and Valiquette for Oswalt and Lindstrom. Harang evens the cash and the Astros can probably flip him for a middle of the road prospect. Alonso and Wood would be mainstays, Valiquette a chance to contribute in the pen and Valaika provides help for the IF and maybe as a supersub. It would be a big step toward an Astro's rebuild and Oswalt would anchor the TOR in Cincy. If the Astros balk at taking in Harang, then Wood becomes Maloney, and Valiquette becomes Fisher and Valaika is excluded completely.

Oswalt
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Leake/Bailey
    Volquez/Maloney

Owings
    Bray
    Ondrusek
    Masett
    Rhodes
    Lindstom
    Cordero

I actually prefer Oswalt to Haren and even Lee since he will be around in 2011.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Why would Houston want Cordero's salary?
    They wouldn't, but Oswalt carries a big commitment. If the talent deficient Astros want to use dealing Oswalt to lay the foundation for a talent infusion, they'll need to take a contract back or send along cash. Taking a contract or sending cash gets them a much better package of players. Its doubtful they would take one that goes beyond 2010 though.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Homer Bailey
    Travis Wood
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Heisey
    Yonder Alonso

for

Assuming for the sake of argument that the Astros bite on this deal, and they select Stubbs and Heisey from the list, who then plays CF for the Reds?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Assuming for the sake of argument that the Astros bite on this deal, and they select Stubbs and Heisey from the list, who then plays CF for the Reds?
    Why, Gary Matthews Jr. of course.

Don't worry, it wouldn't happen. If you wanted to, you could tell Houston they have their choice of one of the CFs plus another player (with Cordero). I don't think it would matter, because I don't think they'd want both anyway.

My guess is they'd want at least one of the pitchers (Bailey or Wood) along with either Stubbs or Alonso. But of course you never know.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They wouldn't, but Oswalt carries a big commitment. If the talent deficient Astros want to use dealing Oswalt to lay the foundation for a talent infusion, they'll need to take a contract back or send along cash. Taking a contract or sending cash gets them a much better package of players. Its doubtful they would take one that goes beyond 2010 though.
    Exactly. Harang or Cordero would do, although it would be nice if it were Cordero because that would provide a lot more salary relief. Harang would be nice because he clearly wouldn't be needed for the rotation if a guy like Oswalt was acquired, but maybe Houston wants to dupe their fan base into thinking they might be trying to compete next year with a Cordero acquisition. Obviously they wouldn't be, but who knows- it is Texas after all.
    Go BLUE!!!

That's giving up entirely too much, even if we entertain the .0000001% chance the Astros would take Cordero's salary.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

By this logic could take Berkman's contract too and make them take both Harang & Cordero.

I think Benihana's proposal is a sound one. I think you'd have to offer guys like Stubbs and Bailey in order to get the deal done. I like this idea a lot better than selling a handful of our top prospects for a rental. Oswalt is a great fit in Cincy, IMO, better than Haren.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'd go harang, Alonso, Francisco, Maloney, smith (or other reliever prospect) for oswalt and lindstrom

I sure do wish you would stop trying to give Wood away, mth.

Any chance you are changing your mind on his long-term value yet?

The Reds will not trade any player who is currently, or who they think will contribute to the major league club this season. They like the make up of this team. Walt has said as much, on more than one occasion.

But they still have plenty of prospects to trade to get Haren or Oswalt. And to be honest, I think money will not be an issue. If Cast believes that a player will get this team to the postseason, he will pay for him.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I sure do wish you would stop trying to give Wood away, mth.

Any chance you are changing your mind on his long-term value yet?
    I was impressed last night by how he pitched the 9th after losing his perfect game. Of course I'd rather not give him up, but the Reds need an established hammer for down the stretch and since I think its highly likely that the Reds will not repeat the production that they are getting from 2B, 3B, LH relief and C that they are getting this year, they may not be in a better position to go for it even if the development plan works.

If they can get a deal w/o dealing Wood, sure. But deals for TOR starters usually require near ready coveted arms. Its why I hated dealing Stewart last year for Rolen, If he was still here, he could be the guy in this year's deal.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Stubbs will not be traded, nor should he be.

Turn Off Ads?