Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Dusty rears his ugly head.

Re: Duhsty rears his ugly head.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Deltachi8 swooped in and nailed it, imo: this team has squeezed every last drop of production from its talent; now the regression comes; the charmed days are over.
    My Gawd! You're such a...

And I actually think you find enjoyment in it to. You wouldn't be happy any other way! :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty rears his ugly head.

Barely a peep out of you all year FCB....but once it looks like their might be a carcass to pick at......you swoop in like a vulture to start picking away.

I will call out Baker every chance he does something obviously wrong or keeps doing wrong (like lineups).....but the more I think about the blown lead.....and how people started posting AFTER the Dobbs homer and even after the Cordero blow up....to just lay out their blame on Dusty, as if just waiting for that perfect spot to do so...... the more disingenuous it looks.

Leake...who has not thrown more than 100 pitches....maybe once? Came out there with 83 pitches and only 1 ball (Victorino) was hit hard...up until the long AB by Dobbs.

He should have had someone warming up quicker? With a 7-1 lead? and him still at about 90 pitches when the 1st out was made?

Howard blooped one....than Werth would have been a DP if Cairo is playing off the line and that was a one pitch hit. The Dobbs AB did Leake in....he could not put him away but he did not look gassed going into that AB.

This is all on Cordero afterwards...but of course...it is Dusty's fault he overused him to save games when he should have used Masset, of course, since he was pitching so well. I will give you he could have used Rhodes sometimes but then usually...Rhodes had to cover up for the other kerosene that was coming out of the pen.

I think that the people who hate Dusty will pounce on him at any drop of a hat....even when it is not obvious, or close to being obviously his fault.
    Batting OC 2nd....no problem....his fault. Friday night....not so obvious but hey ...I hate him so much I might as well pounce on him any chance I get.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    ......and the fact that he didn't contributed to the loss.I have mentioned before that many of the mistakes Dusty makes don't directly cause the team to loose but makes it harder for them to win.Still bad managing either way.
    In-Game Managing is exactly this what you mention: Improving the odds of winning.

The poker analogy of Friday's game would be the lesser hand coming back with running cards to make a straight flush to beat our four aces.
    Bad luck? Sure. But a good poker player would have pushed that lesser hand to fold way before the "river".

That's Dusty's job. He has to do better than what we saw Friday.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Barely a peep out of you all year FCB....but once it looks like their might be a carcass to pick at......you swoop in like a vulture to start picking away.

I will call out Baker every chance he does something obviously wrong or keeps doing wrong (like lineups).....but the more I think about the blown lead.....and how people started posting AFTER the Dobbs homer and even after the Cordero blow up....to just lay out their blame on Dusty, as if just waiting for that perfect spot to do so...... the more disingenuous it looks.

Leake...who has not thrown more than 100 pitches....maybe once? Came out there with 83 pitches and only 1 ball (Victorino) was hit hard...up until the long AB by Dobbs.

He should have had someone warming up quicker? With a 7-1 lead? and him still at about 90 pitches when the 1st out was made?

Howard blooped one....than Werth would have been a DP if Cairo is playing off the line and that was a one pitch hit. The Dobbs AB did Leake in....he could not put him away but he did not look gassed going into that AB.

This is all on Cordero afterwards...but of course...it is Dusty's fault he overused him to save games when he should have used Masset, of course, since he was pitching so well. I will give you he could have used Rhodes sometimes but then usually...Rhodes had to cover up for the other kerosene that was coming out of the pen.

I think that the people who hate Dusty will pounce on him at any drop of a hat....even when it is not obvious, or close to being obviously his fault.
    Batting OC 2nd....no problem....his fault. Friday night....not so obvious but hey ...I hate him so much I might as well pounce on him any chance I get.
    I've posted far more often than you have this season. I just don't post in game threads. I'm not trolling and I've been posting.

Good team; could be a whole lot better. Not sure why that's even up for discussion or why pointing it out should be criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Dusty's biggest mistake was not having someone up in the pen to start off the 9th. Leake should have been on a short short leash.
    This is the beginning and end of the discussion, really.

I have never called you a troll. You count how many times you post over how many I have? Who knows how many and who cares?

Yes this team could be better but every time it looses...it has to be always some thing Dusty did. That is what I was mainly pointing out.

Dusty had Cordero up to start the inning. He was covered

I read an article about a week ago on vacation that said this in so many words:

The Reds would benefit greatly from a managerial change, like the Yanks did in 1995 when they went from Showalter to Torre, and the rest is history. I'm not so sure I disagree with that. I think the Reds would benefit from a change.

I think two lessons get drawn from this episode.
    1) Of the people claiming that it was insane to bring Leake out for the 9th, not a one made a peep about it in the game thread. Some were even in the game thread at the time. Still it's a fair criticism, but would you have been just as critical if Jordan Smith or Bill Bray came in and gave up the first four runs before Dusty could get Cordero in the game? I can just see it now. "What's Dusty doing? Leake was cruising. Why do you take a pitcher out after only 83 pitches in 8 innings? WHY WHY WHY?!"

2) This is why players love playing for Dusty. I honestly think he comes up with something that's a dumb rationale for his move on purpose. If he says nothing more than "Leake only had 83 pitches and we thought he could get us through one more inning," than the conversation turns over to Leake (What was different about the 9th inning?) and even more on Cordero.

As it was, Mike Leake receives no blame. Cordero's blamed for his part still but the venom's probably not as bad as it could be. All the while, fans are saying "Stupid Dusty trying to get his players meaningless single game accomplishments." I bet his players appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    2) This is why players love playing for Dusty. I honestly think he comes up with something that's a dumb rationale for his move on purpose. If he says nothing more than "Leake only had 83 pitches and we thought he could get us through one more inning," than the conversation turns over to Leake (What was different about the 9th inning?) and even more on Cordero.

As it was, Mike Leake receives no blame. Cordero's blamed for his part still but the venom's probably not as bad as it could be. All the while, fans are saying "Stupid Dusty trying to get his players meaningless single game accomplishments." I bet his players appreciate it.
    We had a pretty good high school basketball coach here in Cambridge for a lot of years named Gene Ford. He had this saying that hung on his wall in his office. It went something like this:

I'm just the son of a coal miner, but I've learned three things about motivation:

1. If anything goes wrong, then I did it.
    2. If anything goes sort of all right, then we did it.
    3. It anything goes exactly right, then the players did it.

That's all you need to know to get guys to want to play for you.

I think that Dusty absolutely believes in this, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This is a good insight. As maddened as I am by Dusty's often incoherence, I think a fair amount of it comes in the name of protecting his players from having to face the music publicly. He's dumb like a fox to some degree.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

bump from last season for perspective. Apparently the Reds and 4 game series before the break just don't mix.

Turn Off Ads?