Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty strikes again

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dusty strikes again

I was dj-ing tonight at a bar in West Chester, so I couldn't post my managing thoughts going into the 9th inning.

This isn't hindsight is 20/20. This is what I was thinking at the time and also the way I think a good manager should think.

1. It's been proven over and over this season, whether it be our Atlanta debacle or St. Louis' recent late game woes, that no lead is safe.

2. It's been extremely hot lately in the midwest and east coast. Doesn't matter if it's cooled off in the later innings........the starting pitcher endured the heat for most of the game. Therefore pitch counts shouldn't be the only factor in determining how long a guy stays in.

3. I realize we used up most of our bullpen the night before and Dusty was trying to avoid going to it. BUT??????

4. I had no problem with Leake going back out in the 9th inning. But what I said to the people around me was "if he gives up a hit or two, he needs to be pulled for Arthur Rhodes because Philly is predominantly a left handed lineup". Dusty leaves him in to give up 4 runs. Ugh. Just plain stupid.

5. Then he brings in the batting tee. I actually called it. I said again "if he walks someone, he'll give up a game tying or winning HR". BAM! And he went full count and threw a ball nearly in the dirt for ball four. Ridiculous. Give him something around the strike zone to hit. YOU DON'T WALK SOMEONE AND ALLOW THE TYING RUN TO COME TO BAT. Pathetic.

This pattern is so predictable.

I seriously wouldn't care if they cut Cordero tomorrow and ate his remaining $18M on his contract. I seriously wouldn't care if they fired Dusty tomorrow and put Schottzie XVI in charge.

I continue to wonder how many games we might be ahead of the Cardinals if we had a less hardheaded manager. Sure......we may be in first place now......but who is to say we couldn't be one of the top two teams in baseball if some of this lame brained managing decisions didn't happen???? And 5 or 7 games ahead of the Cards????

Insert attacking posts here ==============>
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 07-10-2010 at 03:02 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Dusty strikes again

what does the question mark after point 3 mean?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

It means just because you used alot of your bullpen the night before.......it doesn't mean you can't use ANY of your bullpen the next night.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

but didn't the Bull Pen lose the game today?

Overreaction about a blow up FTW! Please grow up.

Dusty waiting too long lost the game in my opinion.

And his insistence in using Cordero in tight situations is mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Wawawa. Kick Dusty when he loses, never praise him when he wins. I swear you armchair GM's are pathetic. Quit acting like you know anything please.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

well, Cordero is the closer, I.E he is suppose to be only used in tight situation.
    I don't think It is dusty faults at all, the team collapsed. it happens, called baseball, drives us all mad.

When your closer continues to struggle in "CLOSING" situations, it's time to go in a different direction.

Unfortunately, Cordero's large salary dictates these situations. Which is a bad reason.

When your closer continues to struggle in "CLOSING" situations, it's time to go in a different direction.

Unfortunately, Cordero's large salary dictates these situations. Which is a bad reason.
    Rhodes gave up the game winning HR if you don't recall. Who you trying to use there buddy??? Seriously take a break and come back when you grow up. Your hot and cold nature on here gets old quick.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Reds42MLB View Post
    Rhodes gave up the game winning HR if you don't recall. Who you trying to use there buddy??? Seriously take a break and come back when you grow up. Your hot and cold nature on here gets old quick.
    Ok, I have to defend Vottomatic here. It is a lot easier (and reasonable) to go after the lack of performance by CoCo then Rhodes.

WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW

Exhibit A: Rhodes has been exceptional this year, Coco...has Sucked

Rhodes had a 33 game shutout streak and made the all star team. Rhodes has been by far the most reliable pitcher in the pin. to go after Rhodes after this melt down by him after what he has given us...is silly.

CoCo has added a lot of frustration in the past couple of years. even if he leads the league in saves, he also leads it in blown saves. plus, it seems that every time he goes out, he makes things much more interesting then it needs to be.

Exhibit B: Salaries

CoCo. 12,125,000
    Rhodes 2,000,000
    I understand that Rhodes actually got pinned with the lost tonight, but CoCo HAS to come and get 2 outs in that big spot, but once again...he failed. but The reds are really handcuffed with that record breaking, historical, contract that he has.

I think Coco needs to be 'demoted' to a set up guy, if you HAVE to play him, might as well give up a lead in the 7th and have a chance of coming back.
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 07-10-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Ok, I have to defend Vottomatic here. It is a lot easier (and reasonable) to go after the lack of performance by CoCo then Rhodes.

I understand that Rhodes actually got pinned with the lost tonight, but CoCo HAS to come and get 2 outs in that big spot, but once again...he failed. but The reds are really handcuffed with that record breaking, historical, contract that he has.

I think Coco needs to be 'demoted' to a set up guy, if you HAVE to play him, might as well give up a lead in the 7th and have a chance of coming back.
    We have found something we agree on.

I wanted Dusty to bring in Rhodes in the 9th if Leake let 2 baserunners get on. A Rhodes implosion more than likely wouldn't have been 6 runs. He's been pretty consistent this year. More than likely, a Rhodes implosion would be giving up a couple of runs but still getting 3 outs. Plus Philly is predominatly lefthanded.

I'm still waiting for Reds Management and Dusty to start going with the hot hand and stop going with roles. It's clear that Cordero is either just having a season long struggle or quite possibly is losing some of his ability.

I long for the days of Sparky Anderson's quick hook. Sparky didn't mess around. If a reliever came in and struggled, he yanked them quickly and gave the next guy a try. If that guy struggled with one batter, at most two, Sparky replaced him. Sparky looked for the hot hand and that's why his teams did so well. He was no nonsense when it came to pitching.

I don't really blame Dusty for last night. He wasn't perfect, but I was more upset with running a clearly beat Cabrera out there and letting him go 0-6 than I was how the pitchers were handled.

But, Dusty does have us 10 games over .500, so he's done a good job this season. Much better than any season in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I don't really blame Dusty for last night. He wasn't perfect, but I was more upset with running a clearly beat Cabrera out there and letting him go 0-6 than I was how the pitchers were handled.

But, Dusty does have us 10 games over .500, so he's done a good job this season. Much better than any season in recent years.
    I am glad someone can say this. I was just about to post basically the same thing.

Last night was it for me. I will still watch them play and such, but as long as Dusty is our manager I GUARENTEE this team will not make the playoffs. He has ZERO ability to in game manage. He is to worried about how players view him over winning. As long as you have that attitude you can not win. I am willing to bet come sunday night and the All Star break we will be tied with St. Louis for the lead and Dusty will again have some excuse.

Turn Off Ads?