Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The nosedive begins

Re: The nosedive begins

Come on, you can'tn be serious. Nosedive? We caught a bad break from a team who has won the pennant for the past two years. It happens, and it's a long season. I bet you thought we would nosedive after the Atlanta game too right? Look how we've turned out since then.

This team needs some rest and the All-Star Break couldn't be happening at a better time. We are getting both Hanigan and Volquez back, two very important contributors. Whether or not Hanigan will continue his offensive production remains to be seen, as well as Volquez and whether or not he can return to 1st half 2008 form. However we have managed quite well with missing key components, while the Cardinals are hurting with the loss of Freese, Ludwick, Penny, Lohse, and perhaps even Carpenter judging by how he's pitched after announcing having a sore arm.

I wouldn't exactly call this a nosedive, 2.0 games up at this point is better than many felt we would be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A couple of things that might be worth thinking about:
    1) Nobody I know of really expected this to be the Reds' year. Probably they are still a year away. I mean, how many of you posters expected this team to be leading the NL in so many offenxive categories at this point in the season?
    2) The Cards had a similar experience in Colorado this week. They appear to be over it. Let's see how Cincy reacts. If they roll over for the next month or so until they are out of contention, they really are pretenders.
    My two cents---I think the other shoe has just dropped. (But I desperately want to be wrong about this!)

Nosedive? That's laughable. All last night did was expose the fraud that Cordero has been this season and some of last. The team is fine, with exception of our backend of the bullpen, which always seems to rear it's ugly head time and time again.

I learned a valuable lesson last night. I went to the movies last night and when i went in the Reds were up 7-1. In the middle of the movie I grabbed my cell phone and decided to check to see if the Cards lost last night. Well in the process I see the Reds lose 9-7. Talk about making you grumpy for a date. I wanted to chuck the popcorn 5 isles down. I guess morale of the story is to never check a score at the movies. The movie sucked for the rest of the night..

The really good thing is none of these dooms day guys on the sundeck are playing for the Reds!!!! Yes I was very upset last night, but this is a tough, determined team! Do you honestly think they are walking around, saying, I really thought we would have a winning season, sorry it is over!!! Give me a Break, this kind of loss will make them more determined than before!!! Even if we lose the next couple of games,this team likes to win!!! I have seen alot of great teams in my long life, but you can't buy the winning chemistry this team has!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Come on, you can'tn be serious. Nosedive? We caught a bad break from a team who has won the pennant for the past two years. It happens, and it's a long season. I bet you thought we would nosedive after the Atlanta game too right? Look how we've turned out since then.

This team needs some rest and the All-Star Break couldn't be happening at a better time. We are getting both Hanigan and Volquez back, two very important contributors. Whether or not Hanigan will continue his offensive production remains to be seen, as well as Volquez and whether or not he can return to 1st half 2008 form. However we have managed quite well with missing key components, while the Cardinals are hurting with the loss of Freese, Ludwick, Penny, Lohse, and perhaps even Carpenter judging by how he's pitched after announcing having a sore arm.

I wouldn't exactly call this a nosedive, 2.0 games up at this point is better than many felt we would be.
    Bad break? Your kidding right? A bad break is when a ball bounces off a pitchers glove for a single or when your 1st basemen pulls his foot off the base. Last night was just example number whatever that our manager has no ability to in game manage.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    The really good thing is none of these dooms day guys on the sundeck are playing for the Reds!!!! Yes I was very upset last night, but this is a tough, determined team! Do you honestly think they are walking around, saying, I really thought we would have a winning season, sorry it is over!!! Give me a Break, this kind of loss will make them more determined than before!!! Even if we lose the next couple of games,this team likes to win!!! I have seen alot of great teams in my long life, but you can't buy the winning chemistry this team has!!!!
    The point here is that no matter what talent you put on this team, and I believe we have the talent to win this division, as long as you have someone like Dusty moving the pieces around, you won't win. I know how to drive a car, but if I was put into a NASCAR car for a race I would end up crashing and taking out a number of other cars, Dusty is doing that to this team.:thumbdown

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    The point here is that no matter what talent you put on this team, and I believe we have the talent to win this division, as long as you have someone like Dusty moving the pieces around, you won't win. I know how to drive a car, but if I was put into a NASCAR car for a race I would end up crashing and taking out a number of other cars, Dusty is doing that to this team.:thumbdown

Yeah I hear ya.Thanks alot Dusty,we're in 1st place,still up 2 games,we have our Ace waiting in the wings.Dusty will cost us a few games this year,much like last night.But he has got the most out of the players this year.I can't find too much fault in a winning manager.Walt needs to get on the horn and make a move or two.
    I bet he will get a deal done during the all star break.He has never been one to sit on his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    Yeah I hear ya.Thanks alot Dusty,we're in 1st place,still up 2 games,we have our Ace waiting in the wings.Dusty will cost us a few games this year,much like last night.But he has got the most out of the players this year.I can't find too much fault in a winning manager.Walt needs to get on the horn and make a move or two.
    I bet he will get a deal done during the all star break.He has never been one to sit on his hands.
    A) what "ace" is sitting in the wings, and if you say Edinison then boy are we in trouble.

B) We are in first, but should be up by 6-8 games eaisly if not more. What will be your excuse come Sunday night when we will go into the All Star having lost 4 in a row, and be tied with St. Louis for first?

C) The talent is here, it's not an issue of talent but how it is being used. Why is Orlando still playing every day when he continues to put up 0'fers at the plate?

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

A) what "ace" is sitting in the wings, and if you say Edinison then boy are we in trouble.

How are we in trouble with Volquez?Tell you what,just leave a former all star and 17 game winner in AAA.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

B) We are in first, but should be up by 6-8 games eaisly if not more. What will be your excuse come Sunday night when we will go into the All Star having lost 4 in a row, and be tied with St. Louis for first?

C) The talent is here, it's not an issue of talent but how it is being used. Why is Orlando still playing every day when he continues to put up 0'fers at the plate?
    Why are we "in trouble" with Volquez? Sorry, but you're gonna have to defend that one, brother.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Bad break? Your kidding right? A bad break is when a ball bounces off a pitchers glove for a single or when your 1st basemen pulls his foot off the base. Last night was just example number whatever that our manager has no ability to in game manage.
    The two hits that Leake gave up in the 9th were certainly bad breaks. Whether or not Dusty could've pulled him there is questionable, but with the way Leake was dealing it looked like he had good enough stuff to get out of it. Nobody even thought to take him out when his pitch count was in the low 80's after 8.

Bottom line is Cordero has to go pitch against two AAA batters with only needing two outs and he can't get the job done. How can you blame Dusty for Coco's collapse.

On a side note, amazes me how a tough loss always comes back to "Dusty is the worst manager ever!" yet he gets no credit for having a 1st place team. Just look at the interview Votto gave after being selected for the All-Star game, it's clear that the players respond well to Dusty. While he makes a few decisions that are head-scratching, his influence on the team shouldn't be undervalued.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    The two hits that Leake gave up in the 9th were certainly bad breaks. Whether or not Dusty could've pulled him there is questionable, but with the way Leake was dealing it looked like he had good enough stuff to get out of it. Nobody even thought to take him out when his pitch count was in the low 80's after 8.

Bottom line is Cordero has to go pitch against two AAA batters with only needing two outs and he can't get the job done. How can you blame Dusty for Coco's collapse.

On a side note, amazes me how a tough loss always comes back to "Dusty is the worst manager ever!" yet he gets no credit for having a 1st place team. Just look at the interview Votto gave after being selected for the All-Star game, it's clear that the players respond well to Dusty. While he makes a few decisions that are head-scratching, his influence on the team shouldn't be undervalued.
    A good manager looks at more then pitch count. Given the temps last night, how much energy Leake had used as a hitter and such, there was no reason not to use the bullpen in the 9th. Again it was Dusty worrying more about his "relationship" with Leake over winning the game. I blame Dusty for still using Co-Co as the closer, sorry but when I have Rhodes whose numbers are leaps and bounds better then Co-Co, then Rhodes is my closer till Co-Co can return to form. PLUS, it should have never gotten to the closer last night. You have other arms out there. Go with Bray or Logan to start the 9th.

A good manager looks at more then pitch count. Given the temps last night, how much energy Leake had used as a hitter and such, there was no reason not to use the bullpen in the 9th. Again it was Dusty worrying more about his "relationship" with Leake over winning the game. I blame Dusty for still using Co-Co as the closer, sorry but when I have Rhodes whose numbers are leaps and bounds better then Co-Co, then Rhodes is my closer till Co-Co can return to form. PLUS, it should have never gotten to the closer last night. You have other arms out there. Go with Bray or Logan to start the 9th.
    I've been a huge supporter of using Rhodes as a closer, but when it comes down to it, he didn't get the job done either last night. I don't think Dusty told the team to shut down the bats in extras either.

If we do lose the next 2 games and go into the ASB tied in the Central (Big IF, I think), we...

A) Still have exceeded everyone's expectations so far, and come back and play a not too tough schedule to start the second half

B) Have a manager that, despite being the worst manager ever according some of you, is probably in the top 2 right now for NL manager of the year.

C) Have the probable halfway point NL MVP

D) Have Edinson coming back, and yes, he'll probably be our best pitcher. If you don't think so, sorry, you're wrong.

E) Have a guy in AAA that can blow people's doors off!

F) HAVE A CHANCE!!!

I wish some people on this board would take a nosedive!

Turn Off Ads?