Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BA Top 50 Midseason Prospects

Re: BA Top 50 Midseason Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm guessing it might be helpful to have a Spanish-speaking catcher on the roster.
    Maybe, but its overblown too IMO. These guys aren't going on a date. They just need to know things like "get it over" and "cover first" and its not like Cueto, Volquez, Cordero et al haven't been around the game. Chapman will probably speak better English than most of us by next year at this time.

Would be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't pass on a better player that no habla Espanol.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hanigan is 30. He can be the veteran. Go with a young high potential guy. I'm happy with Mes, but I still want another one to pair with him down the road. Maybe that is Grandal, but the Reds should be looking for that guy in the offseason to replace Ramon (assuming Ramon's option doesn't vest). Then when Mes is ready, maybe Hanigan is dealt for something. He's going to be arb eligible soon, and if he isn't so cheap, he's not nearly as valuable IMO.
    If both Grandal and Mez turn out to be great catchers, I can't see the Reds keeping both. It just doesn't usually work out that way. 1 of the 2 could bring back a lot more value than the other in a trade. And since Mez is further along than Grandal is (and playing well on both sides of the dish), I think he would be the one more likely to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If both Grandal and Mez turn out to be great catchers, I can't see the Reds keeping both. It just doesn't usually work out that way. 1 of the 2 could bring back a lot more value than the other in a trade. And since Mez is further along than Grandal is (and playing well on both sides of the dish), I think he would be the one more likely to stay.
    If Mesoraco keeps hitting the cover off the ball, the odds the Reds sign him will keep diminishing. Hell, wasn't signability already an issue with him before we drafted him?

Quote Originally Posted by BringDownMugabe View Post
    If Mesoraco keeps hitting the cover off the ball, the odds the Reds sign him will keep diminishing. Hell, wasn't signability already an issue with him before we drafted him?
    It shouldn't though. Votto was looking like a promising 1B when the Reds drafted Alonso. You're always supposed to take the best player available, regardless of position and what your minor leagues look like. The Reds felt Grandal was the best available. You can always trade later for other needs, which is why the Reds should sign him anyhow.

I really doubt anything Mes does has anything to do with what they do with Grandal.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I really doubt anything Mes does has anything to do with what they do with Grandal.
    I agree. Nothing wrong with having two stud catchers

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Maybe, but its overblown too IMO. These guys aren't going on a date. They just need to know things like "get it over" and "cover first" and its not like Cueto, Volquez, Cordero et al haven't been around the game. Chapman will probably speak better English than most of us by next year at this time.

Would be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't pass on a better player that no habla Espanol.
    When Fernando came up, the only English words he knew were "Beer" and "Light Beer" (He later learned "Million" when negotiating his next contract). Scioscia jokes that when he went to the mound, no matter the situation, he would simply say, "Beer" or "Light Beer." That seemed to work.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This being the case, even more puzzling to me is why people wouldn't trade him for Cliff Lee. The only prospects that I refuse to deal are guys that are Top 25 prospects in the game at a position where there is a real need, and even then I'm listening.

To not trade a player who is acknowledged to not be a Top 50 prospect in the game, who plays the same position as the guy you just drafted in the top half of the first round (and is expected to move quickly), is just mind-boggling to me. I love that the Reds now have a pretty good prospect at a position where it is had to find those. But I would love even more having an ace pitcher to propel the Reds to the World Series. How anyone can not see that is beyond me.
    My .02 cents on the matter. How many stated that no way no how they trade him for Lee, probably less than you think. What I saw most people saying was they preferred not to deal him and would try to avoid doing so. But alot of them I'm guessing would have parted with him, hesitantly of course if it meant the deal would get it done. Unless the M's were asking for Mes plus another top end prospect like Alonso or Wood. SO it wasn't so much no to dealing Mes for Lee it was no we aren't gonna give up more than we should. This is the way I read most folks, maybe we should add a poll to find out.

Now some others (very few) have suggested he was off the table altogether. I personally don't think I'd have pulled the trigger on it with him in the mix, not 100% positive but say 90%. My thinking was/is Cliff Lee isn't as valuable to the Reds as he would have been several other teams (mainly in the playoffs). Though because he was an upgrade still I would have offered a seemingly fair & competitive package (and crossed my fingers that Jack Z wasn't as smart as I think he is). But I wouldn't overpay for a guy who as good as he is isn't a true stopper IMO and in addition was likely just a rental.

Bottom line if the M's and Reds couldn't come to terms on a more than reasonable package without Mes' addition then they simply weren't trying very hard to come to an agreement. The main ingredient of a successful team is the ability to accurately assess their own talent and just tossing Mes into the mix for Lee without being heavily prodded to is just asinine.

Just for example some combination of these players (plus additional lesser players) ought to have been just as fair if not moreso than they received.

Homer Bailey
    Yonder Alonso
    Matt Maloney
    Juan Francisco
    Chris Heisey
    Travis Wood
    JC Sulbaran
    Etc.....

Basically pretty much anyone except Aroldis, Mes, Cozart, Hamilton and Yorman. Now we can talk about any of these guys (except Aroldis) but the odds of Jack Z getting me to include one would be very low. Cliff Lee just doesn't impress me as much as he does everyone else I guess.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?