Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Six Man Rotation

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,854

    Six Man Rotation

    Assuming the Reds don't trade for the ever-coveted ace, how would people feel about a six-man rotation coming out of the break? I'd imagine something like:

    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Leake
    Wood
    Volquez
    Maloney/Bailey

    It would keep everyone's innings down- Leake and Wood because they're young, Bailey and Volquez because of their health issues, and Arroyo and Cueto so they can stay fresh for the playoffs.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Doesn't sound bad to me. Why is 5 the standard anyway? I can understand that most pitchers need at least 4 days of rest, but why aren't there more teams with 6 starters, or even 7?

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  4. #3
    Member kbrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    I'd imagine because its hard to find good pitching. Its hard enough finding decent 4 and 5 starters. Can't imagine looking for 6 and 7 starters.

  5. #4
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,770

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Assuming the Reds don't trade for the ever-coveted ace, how would people feel about a six-man rotation coming out of the break? I'd imagine something like:

    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Leake
    Wood
    Volquez
    Maloney/Bailey

    It would keep everyone's innings down- Leake and Wood because they're young, Bailey and Volquez because of their health issues, and Arroyo and Cueto so they can stay fresh for the playoffs.
    I'm against this idea. Bailey is still not really on a time table. Maloney should go back down when Volquez arrives. Maybe when Harang comes back. I'm guessing Bailey won't be back until September.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm against this idea. Bailey is still not really on a time table. Maloney should go back down when Volquez arrives. Maybe when Harang comes back. I'm guessing Bailey won't be back until September.
    I thought about including Harang in that sixth spot along with Maloney and Bailey. The point is not as much about keeping Maloney (or Bailey) in the rotation as it is about limiting the innings of everyone else. Ideally, I'd like to have Leake pitching as late into the season as possible so long as he doesn't exceed his innings limit. Ditto for Wood. And I'm worried about fatigue with a guy like Cueto. This might be the best way to solve all of those problems.
    Go BLUE!!!

  7. #6
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,653

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Doesn't sound bad to me. Why is 5 the standard anyway? I can understand that most pitchers need at least 4 days of rest, but why aren't there more teams with 6 starters, or even 7?

    320
    Because its puts more time between your best pitchers pitching.

    Give me a 4 man rotation.
    Go Gators!

  8. #7
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Because its puts more time between your best pitchers pitching.

    Give me a 4 man rotation.
    I agree. Given that most only throw around six innings and 100 pitches a game, it really shouldn't put excessive stress on their arms. Heck, it might actually make them stronger.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  9. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,770

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I thought about including Harang in that sixth spot along with Maloney and Bailey. The point is not as much about keeping Maloney (or Bailey) in the rotation as it is about limiting the innings of everyone else. Ideally, I'd like to have Leake pitching as late into the season as possible so long as he doesn't exceed his innings limit. Ditto for Wood. And I'm worried about fatigue with a guy like Cueto. This might be the best way to solve all of those problems.
    Leake can safely go another 60 to 65 innings. After the break the Reds will have 72 games remaining. On a 5 man timetable, that is 14 starts. Skip him three or four times and let him go 6 innings or so in the remaining starts and he'll end the season on track. If the play-offs become a reality, the rotation drops to 3 or 4 men and Leake is probably inactive. This is probably less a problem than we've been thinking.

    Cueto is a bigger concern IMO. He's probably good for 200 to 210 IP this year or another 100 or so. If the Reds go deep in the play-offs, he may need to start another 20 games or so before the season and play-offs end. If he went 6 innings per start, he'd have 17 or so and may be at risk or worn out come play-off time. He's not really a guy a team in a race can afford to skip or be without come play-off time and we'd probably like to see him go more than 6 innings per game.

    Arroyo, Harang, Bailey and Volquez shouldn't be at any risk.

    I wouldn't go every six days as suggested, but it does seem that a couple guys will need to be skipped here and there and the extra starters will be needed at some point. Between Cueto and Leake the Reds probably need somebody to take the ball 10 times or so to keep ther innings down. They are both too young and valuable to push too much above their previous seasons IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Centerville,OH
    Posts
    673

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Leake can safely go another 60 to 65 innings. After the break the Reds will have 72 games remaining. On a 5 man timetable, that is 14 starts. Skip him three or four times and let him go 6 innings or so in the remaining starts and he'll end the season on track. If the play-offs become a reality, the rotation drops to 3 or 4 men and Leake is probably inactive. This is probably less a problem than we've been thinking.

    Cueto is a bigger concern IMO. He's probably good for 200 to 210 IP this year or another 100 or so. If the Reds go deep in the play-offs, he may need to start another 20 games or so before the season and play-offs end. If he went 6 innings per start, he'd have 17 or so and may be at risk or worn out come play-off time. He's not really a guy a team in a race can afford to skip or be without come play-off time and we'd probably like to see him go more than 6 innings per game.

    Arroyo, Harang, Bailey and Volquez shouldn't be at any risk.

    I wouldn't go every six days as suggested, but it does seem that a couple guys will need to be skipped here and there and the extra starters will be needed at some point. Between Cueto and Leake the Reds probably need somebody to take the ball 10 times or so to keep ther innings down. They are both too young and valuable to push too much above their previous seasons IMO.
    Do you really think the Reds would make Leake inactive for the playoffs?

    I don't think the Reds should keep Leake inactive if they make the playoffs. I like the idea of a 6 man rotation to help reduce his innings. But if the team gets into the playoffs they should pitch there best 3 or 4 arms irregardless of innings pitched during the season. It's been 11 years since the Reds had a chance at the playoffs and 20 since the Reds won. As a fan I want to see the Reds win a championship, not save young pitchers arms for a future that may not involve winning a world series. The Reds didn't have a playoff team after '90 until '94 (strike shortened but the were strong contenders) and '95.

  11. #10
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,770

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Do you really think the Reds would make Leake inactive for the playoffs?

    I don't think the Reds should keep Leake inactive if they make the playoffs. I like the idea of a 6 man rotation to help reduce his innings. But if the team gets into the playoffs they should pitch there best 3 or 4 arms irregardless of innings pitched during the season. It's been 11 years since the Reds had a chance at the playoffs and 20 since the Reds won. As a fan I want to see the Reds win a championship, not save young pitchers arms for a future that may not involve winning a world series. The Reds didn't have a playoff team after '90 until '94 (strike shortened but the were strong contenders) and '95.
    Its why they need to get a TOR starter. New guy, Cueto, Arroyo with maybe Volquez if a 4th is needed. If the Reds need Leake, I don't like our chances.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #11
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Because its puts more time between your best pitchers pitching.

    Give me a 4 man rotation.
    Right, but that is important because there's usually a big talent gap between the top and bottom of the rotation. I am not sure that's true for the Reds this year.

  13. #12
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    In Japan, a 6 man rotation is considered the norm.

    Bobby Valentine managed in Japan until just recently, he had this to say in 2008:

    Iíve also tried a six-man rotation in the States and it seemed to work. What changed my mind here was the amount of off-days. It seemed that everyone was on a routine. They use those off-days to practice. And without the practice in between starts, they werenít comfortable, so I stuck with the six-man rotation and I saw that the arms stayed healthier, the pitchers pitched longer in the game and they seemed to do just fine.

    I donít know that itís culturally set in America. Itís pretty culturally set in Japan. You know, itís gone from a four-man rotation in the States to a five-man rotation, so the culture didnít keep it from changing.

    There is a rock and a hard spot now in the States. Guys want to get their starts. They want to get their numbers. And usually, if you have a contract, you get to pitch a lot, and if you pitch a lot, then you get a contract. Itís something that America and MLB really has to deal with.
    http://eastwindupchronicle.com/baseb...-man-rotation/

  14. #13
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Six Man Rotation

    Hmmm... could a team institute a 6 man rotation without running afoul of the player's union?

    If a team like the Reds instituted such a policy with their cavalcade of young pitchers, they could theoretically leverage them in a way that would ultimately devalue them when it came to contract time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25