Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Game Alert - TRAVIS WOOD v. Phils

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Perfect Game Alert - TRAVIS WOOD v. Phils

Wood's change up with a 2-1 count on Ransom was a thing of beauty. He keeps doing that he's going to have Glavine like success.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

On the plus side it is the only active thread on Redszone where Cliff Lee is not mentioned. Lee by the way would have already completed his perfect game, would have gone 3 for 3 with 3 homers, and done the post game interview by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Although, this is probably a good place to mention that I'm pretty sure Paul Keels does not know the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game. He keeps saying Wood has a "no-hitter" but has said nothing about a "perfect game."
    I know that was driving me nuts. No Hitters are not unique or special like a perfect game. Keels looks like a goof IMO.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 07-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sorry.

For what it's worth, it didn't affect Rollins after I said something.
    It's time to pull out the Hello Kitty avatar....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's time to pull out the Hello Kitty avatar....
    Still think he profiles as a 5th starter?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Mad props to Travis Wood for an outstanding game tonight.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I know it's water under the bridge, but man, pitching through the ninth after having lost the PG, was uber-gutsy. I don't know what Wood's future is, but the guy earned some serious kudos from me on that. That is nails, balls, stones, all the mildly inappropriate metaphors.

I can't even begin to describe how incredible Travis Wood was tonight. That, IMO, is clearly the most dominant start by a Reds pitcher since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988. Think about it for a minute - Travis Wood, making only his 3rd career major league start, pitching on the road against a good offense in a huge hitters park, carried a perfect game into the 9th inning. Simply amazing. And he got a no decision. What a shame. Congrats to Travis on an unbelievable start!

There's a reason that some of us were advocating not dealing him for a rental. And saying that his ceiling is undefined, no matter how many "his ceiling is 5th starter" got tossed around.

His minor league track record is exemplary and his stuff is plus. Love watching that kid pitch.

He was nails in Chicago in a tight game in his debut, took the bullet last Monday on short rest and gave them a chance to win, which they did, and just matched Halladay tonite and darn near did something that defines historic. It many have been historic in its own right.

Love this kid's game.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Still think he profiles as a 5th starter?
    I said back end and ya.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Travis Wood is trending #3 on twitter.

Wood is definitely a major league starter. This is not a Maloney type of guy...he's got legit stuff. And he's had 3 excellent starts thus far against pretty good teams, all of which have been starts on the road.

Travis Wood is consistently around 92 mph with movement - that's above average velocity for a major league lefty. He also has a plus changeup and an above average cutter. And his command/control has improved a lot this season. I think people are underselling him on here. I think he's got the stuff to be a No. 2 starter.

I said back end and ya.
    You don't know what you're looking at.

This kid has mid-rotation stuff, no question.

That was one of the best pitched games I've ever seen two starters deliver. Halladay was excellent as always and Wood showed just how much promise he has. Congrats to Mr. Wood on a brilliant gem of a game.

Turn Off Ads?