Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runner at 3rd,less than 2 outs killing this team

Runner at 3rd,less than 2 outs killing this team

This team fails at this 5 or 6 times a week. They've done it in 3 straight games. It's uncanny how they just can't get it done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Runner at 3rd,less than 2 outs killing this team

I was just thinking how bad this team has been for awhile at this. Although a few weeks ago, I was feeling that this team had actually finally started to get the job done. Lately, you are right, they've sucked. I'd love to see some stats on this.

And again. It's simply pathetic. Strikeout or popout is almost guaranteed.

So are sac bunts.

Yeah it's a freaking joke. Unbelievable how bad we are at the plate and at the managerial decision making in this position.

No way I sac bunt with a guy on 2nd and no out. You are giving away an out. If you don't bunt you have 3 chances to get a hit and score.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    No way I sac bunt with a guy on 2nd and no out. You are giving away an out. If you don't bunt you have 3 chances to get a hit and score.
    Yep, and in most cases a ball put in play moves that runner to 3rd anyways.

Id rather take my 3 outs and see what happens instead of 2 and likely needing a hit anyways if the sac fly doesnt happen.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

We've been very good (and lucky) at succeeding to drive in the run up until this stretch. So we've had a stretch of poor hitting/bad luck, we were due as far as I'm concerned.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    We've been very good (and lucky) at succeeding to drive in the run up until this stretch. So we've had a stretch of poor hitting/bad luck, we were due as far as I'm concerned.
    You are right. A team that is 10 games over .500 at this point has had its share of key hits so far. We are in a dry spell against the NL cha,ps of the last two years - it was going to happen at some point.

For those of you who would not bunt with a guy on second and no outs, you are in the majority of most of the great baseball minds of the last century. Early Weaver may agree with you, but in such a game as tonight I think you need the guy on third with less than two outs because so much could happen.

The Reds are a very good team, but we have run into a team that has been good for a longer stretch and they are getting the key hits right now which is nothing to worry about. That's why we play 162. We took two of three from them in Cincy and have been in position to win all three in Philly. Those are good, not bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    ........... We took two of three from them in Cincy and have been in position to win all three in Philly. Those are good, not bad things.
    I tend to agree, but...........damn these last 2 hurt bad.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    I tend to agree, but...........damn these last 2 hurt bad.
    No doubt. We are still playing at a high level and have an excellent chance at making the post season. How often at the ASB have we been able to say that in the last decade or two?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Tonight, I liked the bunt with Cairo at the plate, and Hanigan up next. Hanigan is good as gold to drive in a runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs because he usually makes good contact and doesnt strike out. However he struck out twice. It's just one of those things that all depends on the situation.

This offense is really lacking timely hitting lately. Outside of Cairo's in the bottom of 9th on Thursday, we havent had a big hit all series.

The problem with sac bunting a guy to 3rd is that you guarantee you get out barring some major defensive flub. That leave 1 chance to lift a ball deep enough to the outfield to score, and if you dont you have to then get a hit. If you dont sac bunt you still could move him to 3rd, and if you dont you have 2 chances to get a hit. All moving a guy to 3rd give you 1 extra way of scoring a guy. If that 1 way doesnt happen you basically gained nothing by giving up an out.

Scoring a run from 3rd with 2 outs is only slightly better than scoring a guy from 2nd with 2 outs. Chances you score more than 1 run with 1 out and a guy at 3rd is also substantially lower than you score more than 1 with no outs and a guy on 2nd. The chances you score more than 1 run with a guy on 2nd and 1 out is barely lower than guy on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

I just realized how confusing that is while typing it so I dont blame you guys if you ignore my post rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The problem with sac bunting a guy to 3rd is that you guarantee you get out barring some major defensive flub. That leave 1 chance to lift a ball deep enough to the outfield to score, and if you dont you have to then get a hit. If you dont sac bunt you still could move him to 3rd, and if you dont you have 2 chances to get a hit. All moving a guy to 3rd give you 1 extra way of scoring a guy. If that 1 way doesnt happen you basically gained nothing by giving up an out.

Scoring a run from 3rd with 2 outs is only slightly better than scoring a guy from 2nd with 2 outs. Chances you score more than 1 run with 1 out and a guy at 3rd is also substantially lower than you score more than 1 with no outs and a guy on 2nd. The chances you score more than 1 run with a guy on 2nd and 1 out is barely lower than guy on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

I just realized how confusing that is while typing it so I dont blame you guys if you ignore my post rofl.
    Basically buting the runner to third after a leadoff double has not been working, so there is no need to continue to do so.

and everybody thought we a clutch hitting team..not really

Turn Off Ads?