Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Why are we trying to deal for starting pitching? Yeah, it would have been nice to get a guy like Lee, but we have more important needs.

RP
    SS
    LF

All are bigger needs than SP. Stop trying to get Lee or Haren, and get us somebody who can actually hit and defend in LF or at SS, as well as a closer.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Duh, get Haren and Drew!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I still want a starter like Haren/Oswalt/Nolasco, but I agree that the offense is a problem too. The Reds offense has now been shutout 9 times in 89 games this season. You do the math, that's an average of 1 shutout per every 10 games. And how many times do we see this team put a runner on 3rd with less than two outs and strand him? It happened twice on Thursday night - they lost by 1 run in extra innings. It happened last night, and though that loss was on Cordero, the offense left a ton of runners on base. And tonight, twice they had a runner on 3rd with one out and couldn't score him. Result? One run loss in extra innings.

Don't overlook how Gomes epically misplayed that flyball in the 11th tonight. That should have been an out. He took a bad route, and for some reason gave up on it. Should have been caught.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Am I really reading this stuff right? The OFFENSE is a problem?

After this recent cold spell...the club is STILL....

5th in BA
    3rd in HR
    4th in RBI
    3rd in Hits
    1st in Runs
    6th in 2b
    1st in total bases
    3rd in OBP
    1st in SLG
    1st in OPS

And the OFFENSE is a problem?!? Wow, I know I'm not up to speed on Sabermetrics...but those stats look pretty clear cut to me.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Don't overlook how Gomes epically misplayed that flyball in the 11th tonight. That should have been an out. He took a bad route, and for some reason gave up on it. Should have been caught.
    He may have taken a bad route...I think he did too...but that's still a double. That should NOT have been caught.

I don't think Superman would have caught that ball. He took a bad angle, but it wasn't likely going to be caught anyhow.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Am I really reading this stuff right? The OFFENSE is a problem?

After this recent cold spell...the club is STILL....

5th in BA
    3rd in HR
    4th in RBI
    3rd in Hits
    1st in Runs
    6th in 2b
    1st in total bases
    3rd in OBP
    1st in SLG
    1st in OPS

And the OFFENSE is a problem?!? Wow, I know I'm not up to speed on Sabermetrics...but those stats look pretty clear cut to me.
    I honestly don't think they are as good as their numbers say they are.

I honestly don't think they are as good as their numbers say they are.
    Really? This is with us playing a STRUGGLING Cabrera at short all season. Rolen missing several games (days off for rest...whatever). Hanigan out for a decent stretch. Hernandez out for a bit now. Miller & Cairo getting considerable playing time.

Personally, I think this offense can IMPROVE on those numbers. Stubbs is still slumping. Bruce hasn't busted out yet. Heisey should get more playing time in the second half. We're getting little to no production from the SS. And our catching tandem is going to get healthy again.

The offense has been pretty good so far. However, Rolen and Gomes I'd say are likely to be less productive in the 2nd half. Getting an upgrade in LF would really help. I just don't see them doing anything at SS so I don't see a point in going on and on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really? This is with us playing a STRUGGLING Cabrera at short all season. Rolen missing several games (days off for rest...whatever). Hanigan out for a decent stretch. Hernandez out for a bit now. Miller & Cairo getting considerable playing time.

Personally, I think this offense can IMPROVE on those numbers. Stubbs is still slumping. Bruce hasn't busted out yet. We're getting little to no production from the SS. And our catching tandem is going to get healthy again.
    That's the problem. Stubbs likely isn't going to get any better the rest of the season, neither is OC, Rolen is still going to need a lot of days off, Gomes isn't going to hit like he did in May, and the catchers won't hit as well as they did all year.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    The offense has been pretty good so far. However, Rolen and Gomes I'd say are likely to be less productive in the 2nd half. Getting an upgrade in LF would really help. I just don't see them doing anything at SS so I don't see a point in going on and on about it.
    Completely agree. I've given up on hoping they acquire a SS, but I still think LF is a possibilty.

Just give me somebody who can hit and defend out there.

I'm all for grabbing DeJesus to platoon with Gomes. Cut Nix when Dickerson is ready and have Dick, Cairo and Janish and the other catcher off the bench. Bring Heisey back in September, or you could use him with Alonso as bait for a starter. I would only include him in an Oswalt/Haren/Greinke type package though.

Gomes is a guy you ride for 2 weeks when he's hot, he's never going to be a full time answer.
    Last edited by guttle11; 07-10-2010 at 10:50 PM.

That's the problem. Stubbs likely isn't going to get any better the rest of the season, neither is OC, Rolen is still going to need a lot of days off, Gomes isn't going to hit like he did in May, and the catchers won't hit as well as they did all year.
    Stubbs IS likely to get better. He needs experience.

OC...I agree with. But I'm hoping and praying that the Reds do something to address the situation. Janish, a trade, a switch to the batting order, a callup...SOMETHING.

Rolen is getting extra day's off in the first half so he'll be fresher for the second half. That's the whole point of it.

Gomes doesn't have to. I fully expect Heisey to see more playing time.

And the catchers only have to do better than CORKY.

IMO, the issue could be solved pretty easily by just plugging in Janish over Cabrera for a few games... Give Old Man OCab a few days to rest up heading into the all-star break, then the break, and he should be fine...

From there, play Heisey more often.

Also, continue to bat Phillips lead-off, hit Bruce 2nd, follow with Votto/Rolen, and prosper... Bruce would be well served by seeing better pitches dictated by actually having the chance of hitting with a runner on base, and the fear of Votto following...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?