Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Re: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'm all for grabbing DeJesus to platoon with Gomes. Cut Nix when Dickerson is ready and have Dick, Cairo and Janish and the other catcher off the bench. Bring Heisey back in September, or you could use him with Alonso as bait for a starter. I would only include him in an Oswalt/Haren/Greinke type package though.

Gomes is a guy you ride for 2 weeks when he's hot, he's never going to be a full time answer.
    DeJesus is not the kind of player you "platoon." Further, while he would be a nice addition, the Reds don't need a player badly enough at that position to justify giving up what the Royals are more than likely to want.

If the Reds are to acquire a bat, with the intention of being a starter, shortstop is where they need to look. They stand to gain far more by way of improvement there than anywhere.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

DeJesus has a slash line of .328/.398/.463/.861 with a 134 OPS+ in a much less hitter friendly park than GABP. He wouldn't platoon with anybody, you'd hit him leadoff and play him everyday and be done with it. He's also not a complete butcher in a LF. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be a huge upgrade from Gomes.

He's a perfect target for the Reds, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    IMO, the issue could be solved pretty easily by just plugging in Janish over Cabrera for a few games... Give Old Man OCab a few days to rest up heading into the all-star break, then the break, and he should be fine...

From there, play Heisey more often.

Also, continue to bat Phillips lead-off, hit Bruce 2nd, follow with Votto/Rolen, and prosper... Bruce would be well served by seeing better pitches dictated by actually having the chance of hitting with a runner on base, and the fear of Votto following...
    This, this, and more THIS

The offense will be fine, but the relief pitching? That's where the main effort should be. We can't afford Haren or Lee anyways.

You go after a SP because trusting 3 rookies and a guy coming back from TJ surgery is a recipe for a 2nd half fade.
    Go Gators!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You go after a SP because trusting 3 rookies and a guy coming back from TJ surgery is a recipe for a 2nd half fade.
    This.

Plus, a legit starter would take a lot of pressure (and innings) off of the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why are we trying to deal for starting pitching? Yeah, it would have been nice to get a guy like Lee, but we have more important needs.

RP
    SS
    LF

All are bigger needs than SP. Stop trying to get Lee or Haren, and get us somebody who can actually hit and defend in LF or at SS, as well as a closer.
    Easier said then done.

We had this discussion last year when it came to SS, and the SS market. It was pretty lean then, and still is. That is why OCab is here in the first place.

Here is the potential list of FA SSs after this season....

* - player whose current contract includes 2011 option

Alex Gonzalez TOR
    Christian Guzman WAS
    J.J. Hardy MIN
    Omar Infante ATL *
    Cesar Izturis BAL
    Derek Jeter NYY
    Julio Lugo STL
    Jhonny Peralta CLE *
    Edgar Renteria SF *
    Jose Reyes NYM *
    Jimmy Rollins PHI *
    Ramon Vazquez PIT

LF is not, IMO, some immediate, pressing need. That doesn't mean I think this team needs to sign Gomes to some long-term contract, or that he is the solution; but it really irks me that the anti-Gomes on here either cling to "he's a terrible defender", or they have to "cherry pick" his offensive numbers or single out one month. The season is 6 months long and 162 games.

Can actually hit in LF?

Jonny's current numbers - .280 BA .331 OB% .476 SLG% .808 OPS - other then a much better B/A, is pretty much in-line with his career numbers ..... .247 .330 .471 .802

And among NL LFers he's either in the top 5 or top 10 is almost every major offensive category.

He's 6th in the NL with 60 RBIs.

And in the #5 slot he has been producing this year.... .308 BA .361 OB% .462 SLG% .823 OPS

Runners On.... .321 .358 .580 .938

RISP..... .420 .455 .855 1.310
    Last edited by GAC; 07-11-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Haunted by walks

The top-of-the-league offense is the one that has Rolen in it. When he's not in it, it looks like the offense that struggled early. If you can line up three all-stars in a row, then guys like Gomes and a rested Cabrera can do damage from being overlooked by a stressed-out pitcher. When Rolen's not in the lineup, there are too many safe spots for the pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The top-of-the-league offense is the one that has Rolen in it. When he's not in it, it looks like the offense that struggled early. If you can line up three all-stars in a row, then guys like Gomes and a rested Cabrera can do damage from being overlooked by a stressed-out pitcher. When Rolen's not in the lineup, there are too many safe spots for the pitcher.
    Exactly.

You just knew if Rolen missed a few games, these threads would appear.

Offense: #1 in runs scored in NL
    Pitching: #11 in team ERA in NL
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.

High five!

The recency of an exciting start or two from a young pitcher hasn't changed the needs of the team. They still need a SP and RP.

I say, if they could acquire a SP, RP and someone like David DeJesus and give Janish more than a monthly start, the Reds would be Kool and the Gang.

Right now, I'm a worried they're could end up a bit "Mandril."

Other than making history Friday night, the Reds have lost three one run, extra-inning games. They are not getting blown out on these mild losing streaks. They win Friday, they're up 4 games and no one is sweating even losing 3 of 4.

It is ludicrous to say the offense has been a fluke. The offense has been good, the starting pitching has been passable, and the only reason we do not have a 6-8 game lead is the bullpen. Hopefully the second half sees all other things equal and the bullpen arms like Cordero and Massett get it in gear in the second half and become shutdown again.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Overlooking the GABP factor here IMO. An offense at GABP that isn't in the top 4 in the NL would be below average talentwise IMO.

Conversely, a Pitching staff that can be in the middle of the pack at GABP is probably pretty good.

I think the Reds issue is that though they have depth of major league quality pitchers, they don't really have the talent for the top of the rotation or the back of the pen to hang with other play-off caliber teams. Having 6 or 7 guys who are just dandy in the 3-5 spots of the rotation is a nice thing to have, but if you start your play-off series 0-2 because your outclassed in the top spots, you aren't going to win.

The pen is toast and I don't see much hope there. Burton can probably help the middle and one of the displaced starters or maybe Chapman might provide enough to get Rhodes some rest and catch his second wind but we're stuck with Coco. Nobody is going to take his deal at this point and with the bucks owed to him, he won't be pushed aside. The only hope is that he comes off the break rested and comes back pitching well. I think the middle of the pen will be fine on its own, but the team may need to acquire a guy anyway who is a set-up guy with some closing experience just to get Dusty to go easier on Coco and see if he gets more effective with less usage. As an old fat guy myself, I usually don't go where I'm about to go, but a diet might help as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-11-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Here is the potential list of FA SSs after this season....

Alex Gonzalez TOR
    Christian Guzman WAS
    J.J. Hardy MIN
    Omar Infante ATL *
    Cesar Izturis BAL
    Derek Jeter NYY
    Julio Lugo STL
    Jhonny Peralta CLE *
    Edgar Renteria SF *
    Jose Reyes NYM *
    Jimmy Rollins PHI *
    Ramon Vazquez PIT
    I think it's pretty obvious who their target should be. He is an all-star after all
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Need. More. Offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Need. More. Offense.
    Long 11 game road trip against some great pitching. First offensive slump of the season. Not going to get too worked up about it. Though they probably could use more pop from the left side.

Turn Off Ads?