Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

Re: Not going to panic, but something I don't understand

It'll sound a bit odd but I have gut hunch that Ramon won't be back or at least for quite some time. Surgically repaired knee that he couldn't even bend down into a crouch, not a good thing even if he comes back. I'd look to finding a guy who can come in right away and platoon with Hanigan and preferably spanish speaking with a bat from the left side. Looking around Miguel Montero of the D-Backs is who I'd target and not look back. If Ramon comes back at all he'll likely limp thru the rest of the season.

If you could make a swap for a better IF guy who can pick up the slack at 3B and SS (occ. at 2B) it would help though I can't see the Reds pursuing it thanks to Cairo and Janish's 1st half. But Alberto Callaspo is a good fit IMO for just this if they decided to look for one. Both guys give us more versatility as both hit from the left side (Callaspo a Switch hitter).

Volquez
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Wood
    Leake

With Harang and Bailey due back at some point unless they deal someone I can't see them pursuing any starting pitching, Walt has practically said as much since Lee came off the market.

They may still go after a relief arm though at this juncture they will likely just wait it out until close to the deadline to see if they can sort it out with what they have internally.

Bottom line short of an unforeseen injury I doubt they make a move unless it's a backup positional player or a relief arm.

Some suspects:
    Marmol/Putz/Leo Nunez
    Counsell/Callaspo
    Montero/J. Molina
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Jay Bruce has the third most XBH's of anyone on the Club.

Votto 39
    Phillips 38
    Bruce 34
    Not only that, but he is fast becoming one of the elite defensive outfielders in the game. His bat has yet to match his glove but it isn't really terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Marty has a point in that they need to seriously think about Bruce as a platoon player.

There are other issues or improvements they could make to the lineup and/or bench, but Phillips and Gomes are struggling right now, as is Rolen, and without those guys hitting, combined with Bruce doing nothing at all offensively, it's a recipe for a .500 team or worse.

Better hope they learn how to handle tough lefties better and top of the rotation pitchers at some point.

3 shutouts in a week is really, really ugly. Its tough watching all of this starting pitching going to waste.
    Bruce has already been 1.7 WAR...which means he is on pace for 3.5 by season's end. He's an above average player.

However, Jay Bruce does need to work on pitch recognition and laying off the low breaking stuff (especially against LHP). His K rate is 26% in total, but his walk rate is 10% and it has steadily improved each year, which is encouraging.

Personally, I'd like to see Dusty move Bruce up to the 2 hole...and move Cabrera to the 8 hole. Bruce will see better pitches in front of Votto and Rolen. As it stands now, Bruce usually bats 6th...with Stubbs behind him. Stubbs has the same plate problems Bruce does from the right side of the plate. It's a poor use of the lineup.

Dusty needs to do a better job of helping Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    By the way, the Reds scored plenty of runs on this trip; as recently as Friday they scored 7 in one game.

I really think the offense-whinging is a bit overstated.
    Doesn't hurt to project any issues you might have down the road even if people have played well to date. Though the Reds don't really do this because it's a convenient excuse not to spend money.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I want the Reds to acquire another starting pitcher (Haren/Oswalt/Nolasco) and some bullpen help, but ... since April 25th, the Reds pitching staff is allowing 3.89 runs per game. Again, I think the Reds need to acquire a hammer at the top of the rotation but the pitching hasn't been the problem lately.
    Yes, the pitching has improved, but even with that improvement it's still below average.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the same thing folks are now saying about the offense: what if this is the best the pitching has to offer? Arroyo's likely not going to be able to keep up his chainsaw-juggling on a unicycle act for the whole season, Leake's going to have slow down, Cordero's not improving, Volquez is a question mark.

Folks have been waiting for the offense to crumble for months, yet it hasn't happened. But the pitching has already been terrible at times. Not sure why they're given the pass. Depth is nice, but it's not production.

Yes, the pitching has improved, but even with that improvement it's still below average.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the same thing folks are now saying about the offense: what if this is the best the pitching has to offer? Arroyo's likely not going to be able to keep up his chainsaw-juggling on a unicycle act for the whole season, Leake's going to have slow down, Cordero's not improving, Volquez is a question mark.

Folks have been waiting for the offense to crumble for months, yet it hasn't happened. But the pitching has already been terrible at times. Not sure why they're given the pass. Depth is nice, but it's not production.
    The rotation has been pretty good honestly. The bullpen is the issue. The rotation is middle of the pack. That's not great, but it's not horrible either, especially paired with this great offense you believe we have.

The starters are fine--at least until Homer and Harang come back those 2 were really hurting our ability to stay in games. The Pen has been a problem though it like the rotation has some upside. The offense has been way better than expected and I don't think anyone should chalk it all up to luck it still is playing over it's head and has nowhere to go but down.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    and has nowhere to go but down.
    Probably, but resources/trade chips are limited. If I have to choose (and who knows, maybe they can get both pitching and hitting), but if I have to choose, I get a starting pitcher 100 times out of 100 in this situation.

I think getting Heisey some starts is an okay solution, but I'd rather rent:

Cory Hart
    Adam Dunn
    Willingham
    DeJesus
    Callaspo
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Probably, but resources/trade chips are limited. If I have to choose (and who knows, maybe they can get both pitching and hitting), but if I have to choose, I get a starting pitcher 100 times out of 100 in this situation.
    If there was someone who would be a sure thing upgrade and was realistic to acquire I'm with ya but I don't know there is a good match out there. Oswalt would be at the top of my list but come on we aren't gonna take on that kind of salary, so we'd have to empty the farm to get Houston to take on salary which I'm not sure they would even do for us. Not a real practical deal there to be made anyway you slice it.

Haren is the logical choice but again clean out the farm if Arizona is even gonna make any deals at this point. Is there even anyone else who qualifies as an obvious upgrade and who we could have a real shot at? I don't see them. In the pen sure but I think Walt hold off as long as possible to see if they work it out.

So might as well make some offensive upgrades but again Walt and Dusty will say there is nothing wrong with it so why tinker.

--Woody Hayes

So might as well make some offensive upgrades but again Walt and Dusty will say there is nothing wrong with it so why tinker.
    I doubt that's Walt's thinking. He has always been an active player at the deadline. He may not make a deal because of budget constraints, but he won't be sitting on his hands. That's the opposite of his MO.

It'll sound a bit odd but I have gut hunch that Ramon won't be back or at least for quite some time. Surgically repaired knee that he couldn't even bend down into a crouch, not a good thing even if he comes back. I'd look to finding a guy who can come in right away and platoon with Hanigan and preferably spanish speaking with a bat from the left side. Looking around Miguel Montero of the D-Backs is who I'd target and not look back. If Ramon comes back at all he'll likely limp thru the rest of the season.

If you could make a swap for a better IF guy who can pick up the slack at 3B and SS (occ. at 2B) it would help though I can't see the Reds pursuing it thanks to Cairo and Janish's 1st half. But Alberto Callaspo is a good fit IMO for just this if they decided to look for one. Both guys give us more versatility as both hit from the left side (Callaspo a Switch hitter).

Volquez
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Wood
    Leake

With Harang and Bailey due back at some point unless they deal someone I can't see them pursuing any starting pitching, Walt has practically said as much since Lee came off the market.

They may still go after a relief arm though at this juncture they will likely just wait it out until close to the deadline to see if they can sort it out with what they have internally.

Bottom line short of an unforeseen injury I doubt they make a move unless it's a backup positional player or a relief arm.

Some suspects:
    Marmol/Putz/Leo Nunez
    Counsell/Callaspo
    Montero/J. Molina
    I've been thinking that the Reds may be w/o Hernandez for a while myself and it may be a way to add some balance. The White Sox want another arm and Tyler Flowers is ready to move up. Harang for AJ Perzynski. A lefty bat for a team that needs it. The Reds save a bit and get out from under Harang's buy-out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I doubt that's Walt's thinking. He has always been an active player at the deadline. He may not make a deal because of budget constraints, but he won't be sitting on his hands. That's the opposite of his MO.
    Especially after getting embarrassed for 4 straight games against a team that he, probably, considers the type of the team they'll need to beat if they want to make the post-season.

Walt will be looking to make a deal. If he wasn't certain of it, this pathetic road trip probably convinced him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Interesting that we are worried about an offense that a week ago was scoring 6-8 runs in a single inning.

The Reds just ran into some good pitchers this week who happened to be having extra good days. The Reds beat Roy Halladay a couple weeks ago.

I think the team will be fine. Add an OF bat by the dealine and take your chances.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Interesting that we are worried about an offense that a week ago was scoring 6-8 runs in a single inning.

The Reds just ran into some good pitchers this week who happened to be having extra good days. The Reds beat Roy Halladay a couple weeks ago.

I think the team will be fine. Add an OF bat by the dealine and take your chances.
    Per Lance's blog, they lead the league in being shut out - 10 times.

Halladay
    Santana
    Rowland-Smith
    Lee
    Kuroda
    Cain
    Paulino
    Carpenter
    LeBlanc
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?