Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The real problem: The Bullpen

The real problem: The Bullpen

3 games in a row now, the bullpen had been unable to stop the Phillies. Cordero deserves some blame, but it's not just him. The bullpen cannot seem to retire batters. They are 20 out of 30 in ERA at 4.48. Prior to tonight, they had given up 253 hits in 249.1 innings while BB 118 and 211 K.

The starting pitching has actually been pretty good. They're in the middle of the pack for ERA at 4.18 (15 out of 30) and after tonight's game, I expect them to drop to at least 14. Not amazing, but competitive. With Volquez nearing his comeback...I think the starting pitching is actually in decent shape, even though I do think an ace is needed.

But the pen? It's unbearable to watch. There really is not 1 guy that you can count on. Rhodes used to be that guy, but he's gotta be gassed and he is due for a correction.

Reds absolutely need a shutdown arm they can count on in big spots. It shouldn't cost too much to get 1 of those from a team out of contention.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The real problem: The Bullpen

There's no doubt that's our biggest need. I'm just not sure who we can get. Trading for bullpen help is tricky.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    There's no doubt that's our biggest need. I'm just not sure who we can get. Trading for bullpen help is tricky.
    But the least expensive in terms of talent unless your talking a Broxton type.

BTW, they need more than 1. I'm cool with Bray and Logan. Owings is fine although he rarely pitches, Rhodes needs to rest. Alot. That leaves Cordero's spot (who is going nowhere), Smith's and Masset. I think those are two spots your filling. Maybe Chapman and Bailey fill the need. Maybe Harang goes to the pen if they do aquire a SP.
    This place use to be fun

I'll throw out a few names I like:

Chris Perez in Cleveland
    Brandon League in Seattle
    Joakim Soria in Kansas City
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I mentioned this in the game thread after everyone had continued their lives, but here are the facts:

In 24.1 innings in this series, the started have allowed only 14 hits and 7 runs, walked 2 and struck out 14. With that kind of pitching the Reds should be 15 over .500, 5 games up and on their way, but wait.

The bullpen has pitched 7 innings in this series, but they have allowed ten hits and 7 runs. Adding more insult to injury, they've walked 7 and struck out only 3. While the starters allowed only 16 batters to reach base in 24+ innings, the bullpen allowed 17 runners to reach base in 7 innings. That is no only unacceptable, but simply horrible.

Who can we get? Beats me, but this club needs to quit lusting after the Cliff Lees and Dan Harens of the world and start looking to find some arms for the bullpen. This team will not make the playoffs with this bullpen with a closer like Codero and setup men like Nick Massett and Logan Ordusek.

It's not a long-term solution by any means, but I think it is highly likely that Bronson Arroyo will be available in the bullpen tomorrow, and will probably be used in a high-pressure situation.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The pen has been a problem all year, but that is true for nearly every team.

This series, they weren't that good, but they had been very good for the past few weeks. All bullpens are volatile. The Cards pen had been going through a rough patch as well.

The Reds definitely could use some extra arms in the pen, but they really aren't a serious need. The bigger problem is Cordero. And that is not going to be addressed. The Reds will sink or swim with him this season.

It's cause for worry, but the Phillies did make the World Series with Mitch Williams as their closer. Of course, he cost them the Series when they got there, but I would take a World Series appearance this season.
    Last edited by TheNext44; 07-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I was reading my last issue of the sporting news and they was showing what team was targeting what player.Well they have the reds top target is Mariners RP David Aardsma.They wrote that the reds
    bullpen is a weakness and Aardsma would provide a fix .
    Last edited by WVPacman; 07-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The pen has been a problem all year, but that is true for nearly every team.

This series, they weren't that good, but they had been verybgood for the past few weeks. All bullpens are volitile. The Cards pen had been going through a rough patch as well.

The Reds definitely could use some extra arms in the pen, but they really aren't a serious need. The bigger problem is Cordero. And that is not going to be addressed. The Reds will sink or swim with him this season.
    Nice post, sums up my opinion to a tee.

The Nasty boys would be great but they are long gone. This team really needs some young guys to step up in the pen the old guys are getting worn down but I have to wander if some of the problems with the young guys in the bullpen is more the catchers fault then the pitchers. I have seen many big hits for the other team that the pitch was heading straight into the catchers mitt. The last game Woods started I know of two big hits on 0-2 pitches that all he did was throw the pitch right were the catcher sat up for it and that was Miller catching. Most young pitchers are told to let the catcher call the game is that the same with the bull pen? How good are the Reds game callers?

The pen needs to catch some breaks that's for sure. Running out guys like Ernerio, Fisher, Smith.....these guys just haven't been good. Smith has shown good signs, but I wouldn't be counting on him at all.

Massett/ Burton....one of these guys need to wake up and remember how to pitch.

Bray and Rhodes form a very, very tough lefthanded combo.

Ondrusek has shown great improvement.....giving up 1 run and 11 hits over his last 16 innings, recovering from a dismal start this year. He looks like a very quality 7th inning guy, and possibly 8th.

Owings has shown he can be very effective in short spurts.

CoCo is ready for a break, possibly a visit to the DL. He just isn't the same guy we've seen in the past. 24 saves isn't shabby thought.

1-2 veteran relievers who can throw strikes.....that's what this team needs.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Part of the problem with the pen though, is who's making the calls to pitch who, and in what situations...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Turn Off Ads?