Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very good future for our club

Very good future for our club

I know it has been discussed at length by some, but the Reds 2011 starting rotation might be the best in the NL once they gel together.

If they decide to hang on to Arroyo (which I hope they do) and do not pick up Harang's option (I also am in favor of this) it could look like this:

1- Volquez
    2- Cueto
    3- Arroyo
    4- Wood
    5- Leake

That is a very, very good starting 5. I am leaving off Chapman and Bailey.
    I am not even sure where those guys will fit in this year, let alone next year.
    Perhaps a trade of Bailey, if he returns to form? I wouldn't mind seeing what he has in the pen with Chapman.

Get excited Reds fans, we are about to witness greatness for years to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Very good future for our club

Move Bailey to the pen? Have him come in for an inning or two and throw hard. I mean hes shown the ability to hit as high as 98mph but he rarely hits that when trying to pace himself as a starter.
    Last edited by Orodle; 07-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Move Bailey to the pen? Have him come in for an inning or two and throw hard. I mean hes show the ability to hit as high as 98mph but he rarely hits that when trying to pace himself as a starter.
    That is one thing I was thinking, he has a great splitter that many relievers use. Maybe that is his calling?

ya i was thinking about that splitter as well. Throw heat and the splitter and cut the average level stuff from his arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    ya i was thinking about that splitter as well. Throw heat and the splitter and cut the average level stuff from his arsenal.
    Yeah his curve can be good, but would not need it if he can have 2 plus pitches.

I think they'll move chapman to the closer if he succeeds in the bullpen... there won't be any room for him in the rotation, and thats 30 million we should have in the majors not in the minors

The Reds need to hold on to more than 5 SP's out of this list. You can't ever have too much SP since injuries will always take their toll. Look at tomorrow's game where Maloney will be pitching. There are theoretically 7-8 guys in front of him right now, but he is getting his 2nd start.

My guess for next year is one of two:

1. Volquez
    2. Cueto
    3. Arroyo
    4. Leake
    5. Wood/Chapman--with one being guy 6 in Louisville, ready in case of injury or perform.

In this scenerio Bailey is either in the pen or traded

The other possibility is the all youth rotation:

1. Volquez
    2. Cueto
    3. Leake
    4. Wood
    5. Bailey/Chapman--same 6 guy scenario as above

To me, everything is dependent on Volquez and Wood. If Volquez comes back and looks like the same pitcher he was in 08, and if Wood continues to impress then I think you almost have to take a chance and roll with the young rotation. You'd save so much cash, and could spend those resources on a hitter or bullpen arms, and really give yourself a chance to go all the way in 2011.

Now, if Volquez doesn't look so hot or if Wood begins to falter then you have to really think about keeping Arroyo. And it's incredibly tough for me to not resign Arroyo as I love the stability he brings, and I just love watching him pitch. And if he stayed in the NL I just know he's the kind of pitcher who will kill the reds. But, if Volquez and Wood both perform well the rest of the year I really can't see how you can justify keeping him.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 07-11-2010 at 03:06 AM.

The future is bright for the REDS.

As is the present.

Alonso bats in 30 minutes on ESPN2 in the Minor League Futures' Game.

I will say this now if we keep Alonso next season he will be the left fielder. Watch him in the second half guys he is starting to hit the way all thought he would. I know all will say defense and all but we have been living with Gomes all season.

I hope Alonso does start raking. Our outfield is not a group that has me terribly excited at the moment.

I'm still trying to figure out why Drew Stubbs is our everyday center fielder and not Chris Heisey. The only conclusion I come to when I analyze the numbers is the fact that Stubbs was a first rounder and Heisey was a 17th rounder.

In similar sample sizes in the minor leagues, Heisey has outperformed him in almost every offensive category (and sometimes by a significant margin). The only thing Stubbs does that is exciting is run fast. Maybe I'm undervaluing speed.

Yeah but I think that if they sat Stubbs that they would play GMJ. What to do.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What's wrong with having former starters in the bullpen? If a starter gets hurt, you have Bailey and Owings in the bullpen who can start when an injury comes up. Bailey might even surprise as a closer or setup man.

At this point, I'd love to let Homer throw in the bullpen. He might could be a heck of a reliever.

The thing that makes me nervous is this staff (meaning coaching staff/front office) staying down the road of letting Cordero close because of his contract. Nobody is going to take that off our hands, so that means we're stuck with him closing games (or trying to) for another full season after this one.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 07-11-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Reds ERA on the road trip prior to todays 1-0 loss was 2.71. Reds had 9 starts from guys 25 or younger. Thats such a huge thing.

22 year olds
    Wood 3
    Leake 2

24 year old
    Cueto 2

25 year old
    Maloney 2

Turn Off Ads?