Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hernandez to DL, Hanigan Activated; Rolen Scratched

Hernandez to DL, Hanigan Activated; Rolen Scratched

All from Jim Day

Hernandez to DL, Hanigan recalled #reds
    Rolen scratched with sore back #reds
    New lineup Phillips Cabrera Votto Gomes Bruce Cairo Heisey Miller Leake #reds
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hernandez to DL, Hanigan Activated; Rolen Scratched

I despise letting a player sit on the bench for as long as Hernandez has without DL'ing only to DL him later. What a waste of space.

Glad Hanigan is back at least.

Let's hope Rolen isn't anything serious.

I think the loss of Hernandez will be felt a lot more than most folks think (he's been exceptional offensively for a catcher). And well, if Rolen is hurt....

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I despise letting a player sit on the bench for as long as Hernandez has without DL'ing only to DL him later. What a waste of space.

I totally agree.. 1-2 games ok.. but a week

Hopefully the injury doesn't effect Hanigan the way his wrist problem did the second half of last season.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the loss of Hernandez will be felt a lot more than most folks think (he's been exceptional offensively for a catcher). And well, if Rolen is hurt....
    I agree, but Hanigan is significantly better than Miller is. It's not even close. His return as the primary starter will soften the blow.

I suspect Rolen's sore back didn't happen today. He has been slumping a bit. Cairo had one great week which was wonderful as a fan but the team needs a better offensively minded IF backup & has all year.

Hanigan's back which is good but now Ramon is out. The little injuries are starting to pile up a bit. The team has been able to play well at less than 100% but it would sure be nice to get a few more guys healthy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe Rolen should reconsider the All-Star Game.

Glad Hannys back, he's an upgrade to Ramon in every way. Ramon is pretty much toast as a starter but will be an upgrade to Corky at some point. Though I'm not sure we see him back this season ---just a hunch. Here we go with Rolen, it was fun while it lasted, the downside to that deal was his potential back/health problems.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Glad Hannys back, he's an upgrade to Ramon in every way. Ramon is pretty much toast as a starter but will be an upgrade to Corky at some point. Though I'm not sure we see him back this season ---just a hunch. Here we go with Rolen, it was fun while it lasted, the downside to that deal was his potential back/health problems.
    How is Ramon toast? He's been an excellent catcher offensively.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

How in the world have we been getting the job done with Corky Miller as the every day starting catcher? It's almost comical.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

How is Ramon toast? He's been an excellent catcher offensively.
    Has he, I disagree. He's done a fair job but I wouldn't call it excellent. And he did alot of that damage because of the rest he's had prior to Hanny getting hurt. Since he's been back starting he's dropped off quite a bit. And defensively it's not even close plus all the pitchers seem to pitch better with Hanigan and Corky behind the plate. We need a nice LHH complement to Hanny, I vote yet again for Miguel Montero who should also fill the organizations need for a spanish speaking catcher.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

I doubt if Hanigan was ready to come off the DL before this, and the Reds don't have any other catchers on the 40-man roster. Sure, they could have brought up Castillo or Denove, but they would have to designate somebody for assignment to make room, and then they might have to DFA that player once Hanigan was ready. (I don't know whether Castillo or Denove have any options remaining.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Has he, I disagree. He's done a fair job but I wouldn't call it excellent. And he did alot of that damage because of the rest he's had prior to Hanny getting hurt. Since he's been back starting he's dropped off quite a bit. And defensively it's not even close plus all the pitchers seem to pitch better with Hanigan and Corky behind the plate. We need a nice LHH complement to Hanny, I vote yet again for Miguel Montero who should also fill the organizations need for a spanish speaking catcher.

I would say a .770 OPS from a catcher is excellent.

I would say a .770 OPS from a catcher is excellent.
    Well that .770 ops doesn't make him the logical choice to be our primary starter.

Since he became the primary starter again....
    June he OPSed .682 and that's with a .346 BABIP
    July just only started but .700 OPS

And away from GABP this season he's stunk it up to the tune of a .585 OPS

And the pitching isn't as good with him behind the plate.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?