Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade proposal

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trade proposal

Cordero, Alonso, Francisco for Kerry Wood, Chris Perez, and Chin-Soo Choo.

Trading Points:
    1. Wood is making $10.5M this year and becomes a FA. Cordero has another year of making approximately $12.2M. Trade-off this year, but Cleveland has to eat another year of Cordero's contract, although it does give them a closer for the rest of this year and next. Their team payroll is currently in the $61M range, so they can handle another $2M.

2. The benefit and enticement to Cleveland is to pick up 2 good Reds prospects in Alonso and Francisco, for their rebuilding project. Both are position blocked with the Reds. Also, Yonder is guaranteed $1M next season in salary, part of his draft deal. Gives Cleveland a first baseman since they just traded for Russell Branyan, who will be a FA after the season or they can move him to third base, a position he has played in his career. They can use Francisco at 3B or try him in the OF. Or try Alonso in the OF also.

3. Wood had a terrible May racking up an ERA of 11.05 by the end of it. In June, he had 11 outings pitching 10.1 innings, giving up 4 earned runs, all on 2 HR's in 2 different games. Struck out 10 and only walked 2 in the month of June. He had 2 blown saves, 1 loss, 1 win, and 6 saves in June. He has only pitched twice in July, going 2 innings, giving up 1 hit, 2 walks, 1 K with no decisions or saves. With Cleveland being so bad, he doesn't get many opportunities. Overall, he has pitched 20 innings, given up 19 hits, 10 walks, and 18 K's for a 5.95 ERA. Since compiling a 11.05 ERA in May, he has compiled a 2.91 ERA in June and early July combined.

4. Chris Perez has an overall ERA of 2.70. In his last 15 outings (totals for June/July), he has pitched 15 innings, given up 7 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 HR, 6 walks, and 9 K's. He's a 25 year old righty. In that stretch he faced the White Sox, Nationals, Mets, Phillies, Reds, Blue Jays, Rays, Rangers, and Red Sox. Not bad teams to have success against. He's compiled a 1.80 ERA in those last 15 outings. He pitched 2 seasons for St. Louis and is in his second year with Cleveland posting a career ERA of 3.61 and a career WHIP of 1.25. Opponents are batting just .205 against him for his career. Makes the minimum and is eligible for arbitration after the season.

5. Chin-Soo Choo might be a rental as he has a Korean Military Obligation before age 30 that he might have to forego baseball for 2 years. Risky move. But he would give us that on base guy at the front of the batting order. He currently makes the minimum but is eligible for arbitration after the season. Currently batting .286 with an OBP of .390, 12 SB's (4 caught), 13 HR's, 43 RBI's, and 48 runs scored for a lousy offensive team. He just turned 28. He's a lefty. He usually bats in the 2-hole.

So Reds unload Cordero, gain a rental OFer with a good OBP and decent batting average in Choo, and replace their closer with potentially a better one who is a FA at the end of the season, freeing up $$$ on the payroll, and finally bolster the setup man part of the bullpen with Perez, who is still young and reasonably cheap.

Indians acquire 2 good prospects that give them a future first baseman, and third baseman or outfielder, a closer, but additional high salary in Cordero for one more year. They might actually want more which means you might have to give them a reliever too, to replace Perez. Doubt they'd take Masset, but I'd be willing in a heartbeat to give him up. Sick of him too. Call it a "change of scenery" move.

New Batting order:

2B Phillips
    LF Choo
    1B Votto
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    CF Stubbs/Heisey
    SS Cabrera
    C Hanigan/Hernandez
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 07-11-2010 at 02:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Trade proposal

I would do it if I were the Reds, but not the Indians. But, I see the logic and hope that Cleveland would do it. Choo and Perez are their best two young players other than Santana. Cordero's contract is a major albatross next year and it would be good to see it gone. I'm not as high as some on either Alonzo or Francisco as others.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

JMO but I think there is zero chance that the Indians are parting with Choo (their most steady bat all year). Also, if we're making a move for bullpen help I'd like to see us bring in guys that don't have serious control problems currently or in their career.

Anything that rids us of Cordero I'm in favor of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    JMO but I think there is zero chance that the Indians are parting with Choo (their most steady bat all year). Also, if we're making a move for bullpen help I'd like to see us bring in guys that don't have serious control problems currently or in their career.
    You don't think they'll part with Choo? You do realize he won't be playing the next 2 years because of Korean Military obligation, don't you? Why wouldn't they want to get something for him?

I agree that you might have to give them more to get the deal done.

If you noticed, I didn't give up any of our current major league outfielders or starting pitching. I unloaded salary which they can afford to take on since Wood's salary will be off their books after next year or because of this trade, and their team payroll is low at $61M to begin with in comparison to past years for Cleveland.

I think you throw in more, they'd have to seriously consider it.

Oops. Just checked the DL and Choo is on it. I guess my proposal goes out the window. He's out for 6 to 8 weeks.

Nevermind.

ha he said hes going back to join the military? most Korean stars tell them to shove it.

I will be VERY surprised if Choo isn't granted an exemption in order to continue playing baseball. The idea has been tossed around for months and rumors have been floated that the Korean government might even count Choo playing for his home country in the WBC as part of any service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I will be VERY surprised if Choo isn't granted an exemption in order to continue playing baseball. The idea has been tossed around for months and rumors have been floated that the Korean government might even count Choo playing for his home country in the WBC as part of any service.
    No. It's been well documented that they have to win the Asian World Games or he doesn't get an exemption. I also read some eerie comment that changing your citizenship and no longer being a Korean citizen is NOT an option. What do they do..........send out a hitman on you?

Indian's won't be taking on any huge deals.

Who's going to close games under this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Who's going to close games under this scenario?
    Kerry Wood. He's Cleveland's closer. He has 8 saves. Just not many save opportunities have come his way since they stink.

I would probably rather have Cordero than Wood
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

I like Choo but I really dont see Wood as being an improvement over Cordero. I like the fact the CLE would take on Coco's salary next yr but I think winning this yr must come first in any and all trades.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    I would probably rather have Cordero than Wood
    Yes, me too. Kerry Wood has looked alright against the Reds, but overall he's no better than anyone we already have.

Turn Off Ads?