Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Masset's post-April Revival

Masset's post-April Revival

In a subplot lost among the follies of Francisco Cordero, the sudden brick wall Arthur Rhodes hit the past week and the uninspiring plunder by the Reds right before the All-Star break has been the slow turnaround of Nick Masset.

While some look at his 5.50 ERA and puke, it should be noted that since the start of May, he's actually been pretty solid.

In fact, since his second appearance in May, here are the numbers (including today):

28 innings
    26 K's (8.4 per nine)
    12 walks (3.8 per nine)
    2 homers allowed
    2.89 ERA
    0.96 WHIP

This has been lost in the shuffle because of the early problems in April. I think the combination of taking him out of higher-leverage situations, regression (and not being as unlucky) and overall sample has all contributed to the normalization.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-11-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Masset's post-April Revival

Good post. When it comes to the pen, keep the faith with the high K guys. They'll reward you eventually.

And it's ultimately why I'm not getting my panties all in a bunch over the bullpen. It's not great, but I think the answers are on the 40 man.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-11-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Good post. When it comes to the pen, keep the faith with the high K guys. They'll reward you eventually.

And it's ultimately why I'm not getting my panties all in a bunch over the bullpen. It's not great, but I think the answers are on the 40 man.
    Agreed. Relievers by their very nature tend to be a highly volatile bunch. That means they blow up for stretches, but they also can put everything together just as quickly, especially if they have "stuff". I also think that the answers are on the 40-man roster, though they might currently be starting somewhere in the organization. With that in mind, I don't want to trade anything of value for outside arms that are as volatile as relievers can be.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Agreed. Relievers by their very nature tend to be a highly volatile bunch. That means they blow up for stretches, but they also can put everything together just as quickly, especially if they have "stuff". I also think that the answers are on the 40-man roster, though they might currently be starting somewhere in the organization. With that in mind, I don't want to trade anything of value for outside arms that are as volatile as relievers can be.
    Agree with everything said in this post.

Ondrusek has been even better....1 ER and 11 hits over his last 16 IP.

Not sure what the inherited runners look like.....but Masset/ Ondrusek/ Rhodes/ Bray are starting to shape up as the Reds BP horses for the stretch drive.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Ondrusek has been even better....1 ER and 11 hits over his last 16 IP.

Not sure what the inherited runners look like.....but Masset/ Ondrusek/ Rhodes/ Bray are starting to shape up as the Reds BP horses for the stretch drive.
    Yep. The middle isn't really the problem anymore. Its the closer. Bray for Herrera was a huge improvement.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yep. The middle isn't really the problem anymore. Its the closer. Bray for Herrera was a huge improvement.
    That's my thinking as well. The answers to our bullpen woes may be on the 40 man however I'm not so sure the answer to our closer is ...

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And the LH Setup man. I'd almost be in favor of calling Chapman up and putting Arthur on the 15 day DL just to get him some rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    And the LH Setup man. I'd almost be in favor of calling Chapman up and putting Arthur on the 15 day DL just to get him some rest.
    Bill Bray has looked mighty good
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

No big surprise.

The K's were always there, and many said he was simply the victim of bad luck.

He has regressed to his mean as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Bill Bray has looked mighty good
    Agreed. That's why I'd bring up Chapman, move Bray into top LH Setup, rest Arthur and have everyone ready for the August/September run.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?