Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things the Reds can do to improve the team right now

Things the Reds can do to improve the team right now

I'm talking immediate things and less about hypothetical things. Some are more obvious than others, but they are things that would help improve the club.

(In no order):

a.) DFA Laynce Nix and promote Danny Dorn. Nix is better defensively, but that's it. Dorn has some of the same weaknesses as Nix (Doesn't walk a lot, stikes out quite a bit)...but Dorn's overall stats include quite a few ABs against LHP. If you look strictly at RHP, he's done very well OPSing over .900 this season. If nothing else, he would make a real platoon partner for Gomes in LF.

b.) Bump Bruce up to 2nd in the lineup. I think the biggest reason why he gets nothing to hit is because he hits before Stubbs, who has similar weaknesses at the plate. Put him in front of 2 players that are real threats and I think Bruce is more likely to see better pitches. I don't like this as a permanent move (because I like Phillips at 2 better), but definitely for now.

c.) Address the SS issue. Cabrera should be batting 8 or not in the lineup at all with his .612 season OPS. Janish's glove is legit. I think Janish has looked pretty good at plate as well this year. Janish should probably bat 8 too, but at least put him in the lineup more. There's no doubt he's better defensively.

d.) Give Chris Heisey more playing time. Start him all over in RF, CF, LF, just get him in the game more than a defensive substitution in the 8th or 9th inning. He's a valuable asset to the team and he's underused.

e.) Demote Cordero from closer. Not an easy decision with what he is getting paid, but it's got to be done. Put him in the game during spots where there are blowout leads. Or games that are out of reach. He has hurt this team this year. I'd promote Masset temporarily to take over and see how he does. It would also give Cordero some rest as he wouldn't be pitching as much.

f.) This one is the most hypothetical, but look to deal Harang before the deadline. It would free up money this year for a pursuit and it would get the Reds off the hook for the $2M buyout at the end of the year. He has to prove he is healthy and probably needs to pitch a few good games before the deadline...but I think a team in contention would add Harang. I think Wood could put up numbers similar to Harang for the remainder of the year.

g.) Play Gomes less. Especially when the team is on the road. Gomes hits .319 at home and .239 on the road. It also opens up more playing time for Heisey OR Dorn if he were to be called up.

I think the Reds could instantly improve the team by taking these small steps. Additional help will be needed from outside of the organization, no doubt, but these steps could be made in the interim and help the team.

Omissions? Mistakes? Anything you'd add or disagree with?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things the Reds can do to improve the team right now

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm talking immediate things and less about hypothetical things. Some are more obvious than others, but they are things that would help improve the club.

(In no order):

a.) DFA Laynce Nix and promote Danny Dorn. Nix is better defensively, but that's it. Dorn has some of the same weaknesses as Nix (Doesn't walk a lot, stikes out quite a bit)...but Dorn's overall stats include quite a few ABs against LHP. If you look strictly at RHP, he's done very well OPSing over .900 this season. If nothing else, he would make a real platoon partner for Gomes in LF.
    I've long wondered what Nix has that keeps him on the club. He even was kept when Gomes wasn't signed. Can't figure it out. I would do the same thing.

b.) Bump Bruce up to 2nd in the lineup. I think the biggest reason why he gets nothing to hit is because he hits before Stubbs, who has similar weaknesses at the plate. Put him in front of 2 players that are real threats and I think Bruce is more likely to see better pitches. I don't like this as a permanent move (because I like Phillips at 2 better), but definitely for now.
    I'm with you on this one too. Bruce is getting nothing to hit and trying to hit it by being impatient. Putting him high in the order might be the answer.

c.) Address the SS issue. Cabrera should be batting 8 or not in the lineup at all with his .612 season OPS. Janish's glove is legit. I think Janish has looked pretty good at plate as well this year. Janish should probably bat 8 too, but at least put him in the lineup more. There's no doubt he's better defensively.
    As much as OCab was clutch early in the season, he's hurting us now. I'm with you on this one, too.

d.) Give Chris Heisey more playing time. Start him all over in RF, CF, LF, just get him in the game more than a defensive substitution in the 8th or 9th inning. He's a valuable asset to the team and he's underused.
    You're batting 1.000 with me. The kid can hit and field. He should be spelling Gomes and Stubbs now instead of Nix who is a one trick pony.

e.) Demote Cordero from closer. Not an easy decision with what he is getting paid, but it's got to be done. Put him in the game during spots where there are blowout leads. Or games that are out of reach. He has hurt this team this year. I'd promote Masset temporarily to take over and see how he does. It would also give Cordero some rest as he wouldn't be pitching as much.
    Absolutely. No reason to continue to see him be hittable and use poor control to cost us any more games. I know he's only blown 6, but it could have been much worse. Much, much worse.

f.) This one is the most hypothetical, but look to deal Harang before the deadline. It would free up money this year for a pursuit and it would get the Reds off the hook for the $2M buyout at the end of the year. He has to prove he is healthy and probably needs to pitch a few good games before the deadline...but I think a team in contention would add Harang. I think Wood could put up numbers similar to Harang for the remainder of the year.
    Good idea but it won't happen. For the money he's making, he could pass through waivers.

g.) Play Gomes less. Especially when the team is on the road. Gomes hits .319 at home and .239 on the road. It also opens up more playing time for Heisey OR Dorn if he were to be called up.
    Exactly.

I think the Reds could instantly improve the team by taking these small steps. Additional help will be needed from outside of the organization, no doubt, but these steps could be made in the interim and help the team.

They certainly could. The starting pitching is good--really good right now, but the bullpen really needs some help. I jus can't see adding another starter in the mix when the problems are elsewhere. Good post.

(In no order):

* Pretty much agree with all. Not sure I'd actually demilote Coco, but nothing says he has to get every save opportunity. I'd throw Rhodes and Massett a bone once in a while too. Moderate CC's workload.

* I've said all along they should have moved Aaron before the season. Maybe they can find someone needing a backend starter to take him and the buyout if we pay the rest of this year's salary.

* I'd give DD a shot too.

* If Cabrerra doesn't pick things up soon, there is absolutely no reason to play him over Janish (aside from his plucky veteranicity).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Well said sir
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Not sure I agree with the Dorn thing. He has good numbers in AAA, but he's also struck out a ton and would appear to be BABIP lucky (someone do the numbers).
    6 HRs in 144 ABs isn't exactly the power I'd expect from someone who strikes out as much as Dorn.

I presume Nix will be gone when Dickerson comes back. Not sure that's an upgrade, but it would be a change.

Funny how no one wants to dump Cairo anymore.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Not sure I agree with the Dorn thing. He has good numbers in AAA, but he's also struck out a ton and would appear to be BABIP lucky (someone do the numbers).
    6 HRs in 144 ABs isn't exactly the power I'd expect from someone who strikes out as much as Dorn.

I presume Nix will be gone when Dickerson comes back. Not sure that's an upgrade, but it would be a change.

Both the Ks and the BBs look much better when you look at the RHP splits. I wouldn't want Dorn starting games against LHP.

Roll Cordero up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Bruce has a really long swing. Putting him 2nd just means he gets busted in all day with fastballs.

I'd rather he just stayed away from a pressure spot in the lineup at this point.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Bruce has a really long swing. Putting him 2nd just means he gets busted in all day with fastballs.

I'd rather he just stayed away from a pressure spot in the lineup at this point.
    I've noticed the long swing and wondered why so many thought he was a "can't miss" guy. He has his flaws, but the boy can hit a fastball, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

This is more like shuffling deck chairs. Any offensive upgrade Dorn might have over Nix is negated by the defense imho.

Bumping up Bruce means having back-to-back lefties in the lineup. Also, Bruce isn't exactly an OBP machine, so I'd rather see him as the #5 hitter with Rolen sandwiched between him and Votto. I don't have a good solution for upgrading the #2 hitter, but I'd want the best baserunner who gets on base at a good clip, whoever that is.

Cordero is struggling, and if it continues, you have to demote him at some point, but I think he's earned a longer leash than that. Even if he gets demoted, I'm not sure Masset is the guy you can count on.

If Harang is dealt away, it's probably in a deal to compensate for a high-paid player coming Cincinnati's way. Still, I'd definitely be looking to deal him for the salary relief, provided the money is allocated properly.

I love what Gomes brings to the team, but his numbers suggest he's not the best option as the everyday left fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This is more like shuffling deck chairs. Any offensive upgrade Dorn might have over Nix is negated by the defense imho.
    I'm going to have to disagree. I know Dorn is not supposed to be known for his defense...and I've never seen him play, but he has a career fielding % in the minors of .989. Nix's career fielding % in the minors was .984. Dorn has had 11 errors in his 5 years in the minors while Nix had 21 in 9 years. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of advance fielding data for the minors. I've stated that I think Nix is a better defender (mostly because I've never heard anything great about his defense), but I just don't think Dorn is a negative defender.

I also think Dorn's bat is more impressive. I don't advoate Dorn starting against anyone but RHP. Let's look at offensive numbers. Nix OPS'ed .827 in 9 years in the minors. Dorn has OPS'ed .884 in 5 seasons. Nix hadn't touched AAA by his 5th season and had yet to ever touch what Dorn has OPS'ed in his first 5 seasons.

Also, Heisey could replace Dorn late in the game for defensive purposes if Dorn's defense was of concern. I'm thinking Dorn is a better defender than Gomes is though.

Bumping up Bruce means having back-to-back lefties in the lineup. Also, Bruce isn't exactly an OBP machine, so I'd rather see him as the #5 hitter with Rolen sandwiched between him and Votto. I don't have a good solution for upgrading the #2 hitter, but I'd want the best baserunner who gets on base at a good clip, whoever that is.
    As it is now, Dusty regularly bats Gomes behind Rolen so you have righty/righty there. Or Phillips and OCab 1 and 2, also righty righty. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I see no real disadvantage to doing Bruce 2 and Votto 3 unless it's a tough lefty. If the opposing team puts in a tough lefty late, PH Heisey for Bruce. Problem solved. But those situations don't come up too often where a tough lefty is starting. I'm not opposed to Bruce at 5 eventually (I think that's a good spot for him), but I just think Bruce will see better pitches hitting in front of Votto and Rolen. Pitchers are not going to want to put Bruce on 1B to pitch to Votto.

Cordero is struggling, and if it continues, you have to demote him at some point, but I think he's earned a longer leash than that. Even if he gets demoted, I'm not sure Masset is the guy you can count on.
    If you demoted Cordero, who would replace him? Rhodes has struggled when made a closer in the past and he is also been worked a lot already. Dusty clearly trusts Masset the most next to Rhodes. I'm not all that opposed to a closer by committee, but that just doesn't seem like a Dusty move.

Three weeks ago I was pilloried for the Dorn-to-left-field idea. Just get used to it till it becomes no-duh, everyone-can-see-that conventional wisdom. Kinda like real estate.

(In no order):

Agree on all counts.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    If the Reds had played the Phillies during Cairo's hot streak at 1B the week that Joey Votto was out with the neck problem, then Uncle Charlie might have chosen Miguel for the All-Star Team instead of Omar Infante!

.308/.348/.421/.768...Cairo is not a problem.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    .308/.348/.421/.768...Cairo is not a problem.
    . . . yet.

Turn Off Ads?