Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs: What the Cincinnati Reds should do

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    High five!

Fangraphs: What the Cincinnati Reds should do

Check it out:

there are still some questions about the Reds. They have a solid +45 run differential, but their 49-40 record entering the final day of the first half was over three games better than their 45.9-43.1 3rd order mark. The Cardinals are probably a more talented team right now, but the Reds have talented pieces of their own with a promising future. Right now, however, we focus on the present.

Re: Fangraphs: What the Cincinnati Reds should do

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Check it out:
    Can't argue with a single thing that article says. It is that simple. Well done.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Can't argue with a single thing that article says. It is that simple. Well done.
    Yeah, it's interesting. I thought the bit where they talked about O-Cab's season .278 wOBA vs. Janish's projected .295 wOBA was a real eye-opener. As I posted in another thread, O-Cab would have to OPS in the mid-.800s to finish the season at his career average. While that would be great, he's only had about three season halves > .800 OPS.

I really think the SS situation needs to be addressed during the break. Janish and O-Cab are 8-hole hitters and at the very least, Janish needs to be getting a couple-three starts a week.

They compared OCab's projcted 313 wOBA to Janish's projected 278, IIRC. It wouldn't make any sense to compare what has already happened to what is projected in this situation.

I'm holding out hope that OC can have a 2nd half like he had last year, but I've fully shifted over to the Janish bandwagon as of now. I still think OC is the better option if he is going to hit .280+ like he was early in the season, but who knows what he actually still is. Regardless, he appears to need at least 2 days off per week.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Ibut who knows what he actually still is.
    Dennis Green?

OCab just needs to face some pin-straight fastballs from crap Pittsburgh pitchers.

And get a three day rest.

I'm betting he stars hitting again right after the break, but again slows down at the end of the year. He's old and needs more rest.

I'm guessing Baker rests him a bit more in the second half, playing Redszone's favored son, Roberto Pet--, I mean, Chris Den-- I mean, Brady Cl--, I mean, Chris Dic--, I mean, Paul Janish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm guessing Baker rests him a bit more in the second half, playing Redszone's favored son, Roberto Pet--, I mean, Chris Den-- I mean, Brady Cl--, I mean, Chris Dic--, I mean, Paul Janish.
    Those guys all had quite a few detractors as well so I don't know that I'd call them "Redszone's favored son".

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Those guys all had quite a few detractors as well so I don't know that I'd call them "Redszone's favored son".
    Right.

To me, the whole "Redszone favorite: Chris Denorfia" meme is played. I found that bit to be more joke than anything.

I never quite know what to make of the "Redszone thought _______ would be good and look what happened" point. Seems very non-correlative to me.

I never quite know what to make of the "Redszone thought _______ would be good and look what happened" point. Seems very non-correlative to me.
    Agreed. RZ has lots of members. All with their own thoughts and ideas. The "RZ thinks this" or "RZ hates that" stuff never made sense to me.

Right.

To me, the whole "Redszone favorite: Chris Denorfia" meme is played. I found that bit to be more joke than anything.
    You thought the folks calling for Chris Denorfia as a solution in the OF were joking? That's not how I saw it at all.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    You thought the folks calling for Chris Denorfia as a solution in the OF were joking? That's not how I saw it at all.
    I think a lot of jokes grew out of that, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think a lot of jokes grew out of that, yes.
    I was never joking about Denorfia, but we should use the term "solution" lightly. Like Brady Clark before him, and Chris Heisey today, he was viewed by many not necessarily an ideal solution, but as the best of the available options.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    And get a three day rest.

I'm betting he stars hitting again right after the break, but again slows down at the end of the year. He's old and needs more rest.

I don't know anyone who is saying that Janish is a good ML SS, we're just saying that he's better than OCab.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?