Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping the hot bar maid?

Tipping the hot bar maid?

My wife and I went to went to a local pub earlier today for happy hour when pints are $1.50. We sat at the bar and occassionally talked to the bar maid who is very pretty.

Twice she made a drink in a blender and poured the drink for the customer into a tall glass. Each time she poured what was left from the blender into a regular cocktail glass and gave it to us. My wife and I each had four $1.50 pints (eight total), and I requested the tab. She only charged us for six pints and didn't charge us for two. With tax, the bill was around $9.27 instead of $12.36. I gave her a twenty and asked for two back.

I believe in tipping generously and understand the 20% rule of thumb, but did I tip too much? Maybe too little? Does the hot bar maid factor still apply when you are with your wife???
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-12-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

Tip as generously as you want. My wife always gives me a hard time when I "over-tip" a hot waitress but I do it anyway.

How long did you stay?

I think your tip was fine. IMO, you should have paid at least $15, including tip. You were a bit generous, but she seemed to service you well. Seems reasonable to me.

As for the "hot bartender" thing, would you have tipped differently if the server were a "hot MALE bartender?"
    Last edited by SandyD; 07-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Are avatars a perk?

If all you're doing is drinking at the bar, $1 a drink is my rule of thumb.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    If all you're doing is drinking at the bar, $1 a drink is my rule of thumb.
    If I go someplace regularly, I always tip much more generously than the "rule of thumb" would dictate -- at a couple of places, the extra tips have paid for themselves in extra rounds of drinks that mysteriously don't get added to the bill or in instant service when the place happens to be crowded.

YMMV, though. I'm always of the mind that if you can afford to eat out somewhere or drink out somewhere, you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If I go someplace regularly, I always tip much more generously than the "rule of thumb" would dictate -- at a couple of places, the extra tips have paid for themselves in extra rounds of drinks that mysteriously don't get added to the bill or in instant service when the place happens to be crowded.

YMMV, though. I'm always of the mind that if you can afford to eat out somewhere or drink out somewhere, you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way and have been "taken care of" more than once at places I frequent.

Tip as generously as you want. My wife always gives me a hard time when I "over-tip" a hot waitress but I do it anyway.
    Me too.

As for the "hot bartender" thing, would you have tipped differently if the server were a "hot MALE bartender?"
    Honestly, no. Though, when given freebies, I do generally add them into the tip.

...you can afford to be good to the people taking care of you (presuming they do, in fact, take care of you).
    See above. If given freebies, I try to reward the worker. I have never been a server but know they rely on those tips. As you said, tipping generously sometimes pays off in later rewards.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way and have been "taken care of" more than once at places I frequent.
    Right.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-13-2010 at 12:04 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Are avatars a perk?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Wow. Are you calling me a cheapskate?

Okay, since I want to look like the cool guy in this thread too, forget what I said. I actually give the bartender my credit card for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    How long did you stay?

I

Spitball, would you notice that he was hot?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I think you were somewhat too generous, but man its your right to tip as much as you want. She gave you a big discount and she was hot, these things carry weight.

My girlfriend is a server so she always reminds me you should tip on what the bill should be, not what it actually is. So, it sounds like you got a couple extra drinks and a discount so I think your tip was fair. It should also go a long way if/when you go back as she'll be much more likely to remember you and treat you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    My wife and I each had four $1.50 pints (eight total), and I requested the tab. She only charged us for six pints and didn't charge us for two. With tax, the bill was around $9.27 instead of $12.36. I gave her a twenty and asked for two back.
    $18 for 8 pints of beer, tax, tip, and some dividend remnants of mixed drinks and you're worried that you overpaid?

Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild03 View Post
    My girlfriend is a server so she always reminds me you should tip on what the bill should be, not what it actually is. So, it sounds like you got a couple extra drinks and a discount so I think your tip was fair. It should also go a long way if/when you go back as she'll be much more likely to remember you and treat you well.
    I agree with that.

I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago where the chain had sent me a $10.00 gift card as part of a promotion. Got a couple of fish tacos and an iced tea. The bill, with tax, was around a buck. Had I tipped on the total of the bill I would have looked stupid not to mention uncaring. So, I tipped the waiter $5.00 and went out the door feeling happy.

Basically, when I'm somewhere on a promotion or someone gives me a freebie I either split the 'profit' with the server or tip on what the bill would have been under normal circumstances.

Rem

I've been in the hospitality biz for 30+ years. My primary driver for tipping is attitude. I have no problem leaving a buck on a $30 bill, or leaving a $20 on a $10 bill. I'm not talking about someone treating me like a king (although, obviously, I deserve it), but a general 'hey, I realize you are the customer, and I am going to do everything I can to show you that we appreciate it". That includes prompt service, good communication, and a thank you.

Indifference in this industry is poison, and isn't rewarded by me.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

Indifference in this industry is poison, and isn't rewarded by me.
    Portland is a town awash in service industry folks who don't want to be in that industry, when I come across a server I appreciate I tip them well, hence why when I walk into my pub I get a glass of what I want without asking, as well as my second, they always ask if I want a 3rd, and that's why they get good tips.

Turn Off Ads?