Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping the hot bar maid?

Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I've been in the hospitality biz for 30+ years. My primary driver for tipping is attitude. I have no problem leaving a buck on a $30 bill, or leaving a $20 on a $10 bill. I'm not talking about someone treating me like a king (although, obviously, I deserve it), but a general 'hey, I realize you are the customer, and I am going to do everything I can to show you that we appreciate it". That includes prompt service, good communication, and a thank you.
    I often feel bad tipping poorly. If service is bad usually I will leave around 10%. Often times I feel it isn't necessarily the server rather a combination of factors that leads to the bad service.

I look for a couple things in a good server and a lot of times it depends on the location or the reason I am in the establishment. If I am there with people and we are getting drinks. I don't want a server who is constantly waiting on us, rather someone who notices when my drink is close to empty to ask if I want another. If you work at a sports bar type establishment you should be that difficult to do. If I am out at a nicer restaurant with family, friends, or my wife I want someone who is attentive but isn't coming around asking if I need anything every 3 minutes. If I wanted you around that much I would invite you to pull up a chair. In that situation I want someone who is knowledgeable but also gives me space.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Johnny Cueto Fan

I always tip somebody 20% at the least just because I used to work in a restaurant and I know how important tips are to a server. Unless you are a complete ass, you'll be getting a pretty good tip from me. Honestly though, I would've just let her have the $20. Where's the $2 going to go anyway?

You should have just gave the 20 to the wife and said "Hey can you pay for this while I go to the bathroom?"

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.
    Still cheaper than 3 beers at GABP!!!!!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Especially when you look at the average income between the 2 cities.

Are avatars a perk?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.
    That's not surprising. You can't even use the bathroom at McDonald's in NYC without a token.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I pay $5.25 for a 24 ounce Diamond Bear India Pale Ale draft at our local minor league park. My wife and daughter get the 24 ounce Bud Lite draft for $4.75....I tip the beer guy a dollar each time...and no, he is not even a little bit hot.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I pay $5.25 for a 24 ounce Diamond Bear India Pale Ale draft at our local minor league park. My wife and daughter get the 24 ounce Bud Lite draft for $4.75....I tip the beer guy a dollar each time...and no, he is not even a little bit hot.
    Diamond Bear IPA for only two quarters more than Bud Light? Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Diamond Bear IPA for only two quarters more than Bud Light? Brilliant!
    24 ounce Fat Tire, Bitburger, Hook Slide Pale Ale, and Diamond Bear IPA are all $5.25 at the Beer Garden window. If you get a 12 ounce can or bottle elsewhere in the park, it's $3.00 for Bud and Miller and $3.25 for the Diamond Bear.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    That's not surprising. You can't even use the bathroom at McDonald's in NYC without a token.
    We were in a mexican restaurant in Manhatten a few years back and got charged for drink refills. I couldn't believe it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    We were in a mexican restaurant in Manhatten a few years back and got charged for drink refills. I couldn't believe it.
    That's not a NYC centric fault. happens all over.

At least all over the coasts

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's not a NYC centric fault. happens all over.

At least all over the coasts
    I can't believe that. Is it like that in Portland at most restaurants??
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I can't believe that. Is it like that in Portland at most restaurants??
    Asian places, fancier places, not usually Mexican joints. Of course I'm speaking of all independent joints, not your Chilis ect...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Asian places, fancier places, not usually Mexican joints. Of course I'm speaking of all independent joints, not your Chilis ect...
    I thought you hated Chili's?....Gawd the unimportant things I remember.

I'd drink water if I dined on the coasts.

I thought you hated Chili's?....Gawd the unimportant things I remember.

I'd drink water if I dined on the coasts.
    Correct i do hate Chilis, I also tend to drink water as well, $2.50 for 12 ounces of something not alcohol is not my style.

Turn Off Ads?