Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Tipping the hot bar maid?

  1. #31
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    I use coupons and promotions all the time. But I tip on the total prior to the discount I get. I think that's the fair way you're suppose to do it. I know some people who tip on the total after discount.

    Yes, I'm the one that says: She will have one entree of equal value or less.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I use coupons and promotions all the time. But I tip on the total prior to the discount I get. I think that's the fair way you're suppose to do it. I know some people who tip on the total after discount.

    Yes, I'm the one that says: She will have one entree of equal value or less.
    My favorite Mexican place always has coupons for buy one entree, get one free (up to $6 value). Naturally the cheapest entree they have is $7.95.

    I agree, I always tip on what the amount would have been before any discounts.

  4. #33
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,711

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    I usually leave a bare minimum of 20% of the original bill before any discounts on a tip. The service has to be painfully bad for me to go below that.

    I feel like they work very hard for their money, and it's a job I wouldn't want to do myself. If they're good at it, I'll reward them. I feel like what goes around comes around as far as that stuff goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  5. #34
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    $18 for 8 pints of beer, tax, tip, and some dividend remnants of mixed drinks and you're worried that you overpaid?

    Was in NYC late last week. $18 covers 3 bottles of beer. No tax. No tip. Just 3 bottles of beer.
    New York's got nothing on LA.

    $18 is the price of an imported beer at Dodger Stadium. $15 a bottle for Bud.

    But the worst I experienced was at a VIP Cub here in LA. It was the first stop at a bachelor party, and I started with a bottled water, which I do when I'm going to drink too much to lessen the hangover. The bottled water... $16.

    I love going back go the midwest. I can actually afford things there.

    I never worry about over tipping. If you can afford it, I guarantee you, the server will not be insulted, or take it the wrong way. Big tips are always welcome.

    I do always leave at least two buck, no matter the bill, no matter the service. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows that they do at least $2 worth of work for each order. And remember that the server's minimum wage is around $2 an hour in most states, so their tips are their salary.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  6. #35
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    New York's got nothing on LA.

    $18 is the price of an imported beer at Dodger Stadium. $15 a bottle for Bud.

    But the worst I experienced was at a VIP Cub here in LA. It was the first stop at a bachelor party, and I started with a bottled water, which I do when I'm going to drink too much to lessen the hangover. The bottled water... $16.

    I love going back go the midwest. I can actually afford things there.

    I never worry about over tipping. If you can afford it, I guarantee you, the server will not be insulted, or take it the wrong way. Big tips are always welcome.

    I do always leave at least two buck, no matter the bill, no matter the service. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows that they do at least $2 worth of work for each order. And remember that the server's minimum wage is around $2 an hour in most states, so their tips are their salary.
    Yea I noticed that when I was in SD. Went to a Padres game and the beer was around $10 per 16oz draft. It is one of the reasons I love the midwest, prices are much more reasonable across the board. I am sure the winters are great out on the left coast but I don't exactly know if I want to rent when I am 45 years old.

  7. #36
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,311

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I noticed that when I was in SD. Went to a Padres game and the beer was around $10 per 16oz draft. It is one of the reasons I love the midwest, prices are much more reasonable across the board. I am sure the winters are great out on the left coast but I don't exactly know if I want to rent when I am 45 years old.
    Everyone rents out here?

    Not everyone.

  8. #37
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,448

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Everyone rents out here?

    Not everyone.
    I'm one of those odd birds that actually prefers to rent. We tend to get the itch to move every two to three years, so we learned from the five years it took to sell our house that owning is not for us.

  9. #38
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Everyone rents out here?

    Not everyone.
    Not saying that. Just making a point that the price of real estate is very high on the west coast.

  10. #39
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,311

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Not saying that. Just making a point that the price of real estate is very high on the west coast.
    California is on a plane all by themselves though, like NYC it's not of this world.

  11. #40
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,868

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm one of those odd birds that actually prefers to rent. We tend to get the itch to move every two to three years, so we learned from the five years it took to sell our house that owning is not for us.
    My wife and I are the same, though we don't rule out owning (we own now but may be selling). We'd live in San Diego in a heartbeat, even if we have to rent.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  12. #41
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    I always view it as good karma to tip a good bartender well. One of Roy's laws of life is to make friends with the bartender whenever you can.

    Its along the same lines as being cool to the pizza dude.

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4651531
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 07-14-2010 at 08:24 PM.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    136

    Re: Tipping the hot bar maid?

    I always tip based on service, not on the $ amount on my bill.

    I've left $20 tips on a $1.20 bill (4 hours of studying and drinking coffee at Denny's)...and no, she was definitely NOT hot.

    I've also left nothing but a note to the waitresses manager on the back of the credit card signature receipt titled "tip:" followed by what they should have done differently.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25