Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daugherty feature on Phillips w/ great quote about Rolen

Daugherty feature on Phillips w/ great quote about Rolen

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-substance-too

Phillips says, “I was hitting in front of him. He was like, ‘Hey, BP, just so you know, if I get hit (with a pitch) because you pimped a home run, me and you are going to have to talk.’ That’s all I needed to know.’’

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daugherty feature on Phillips w/ great quote about Rolen

Heh. One for Rolen.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Nice.

High five!

That's a good line. And a good article, thanks for posting.

Line of the article bar none;

As Votto noted, when informed of Phillips’ self appraisal, “I think we should get Rick (Stowe, Reds clubhouse manager) to shift me over to (Phillips’) side of the clubhouse, so I can learn how to love myself more.’’

I have a feeling Votto's like the friend who doesn't go for the laugh often, but when he has a joke, it's absolutely hysterical and truly cold blooded.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Line of the article bar none;

As Votto noted, when informed of Phillips’ self appraisal, “I think we should get Rick (Stowe, Reds clubhouse manager) to shift me over to (Phillips’) side of the clubhouse, so I can learn how to love myself more.’’

I have a feeling Votto's like the friend who doesn't go for the laugh often, but when he has a joke, it's absolutely hysterical and truly cold blooded.
    Yep, he's got that sharp, deadpan Canadian thing going.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but you guys have GOT to check out the video of Rolen messing with Kevin Millar who's trying to interview him for MLB Network. Funny, funny stuff. :O)

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...09221&c_id=cin
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Thank you Scott Rolen, finally a leader who will not just lead by example, love it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

“When you’re not looking to get a base hit to raise your average, when you’re looking to get a stolen base not just to get a stolen base, but to get yourself in scoring position to get a run that wins a game, you’re not going to believe what your (stats) look like.’’ What Rolen actually said to Phillips was, “Brandon, when we start winning here, you’re going to see what type of player you really are.’’ Phillips says he wasn’t sure then what Rolen was talking about. The Reds were 12-11 in April. An 18-11 May followed, and Phillips liked Rolen’s advice so much, he wrote it down and posted it in his cubicle at GABP.
    Fantastic...

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I love the Rolen trade more every day.

It's obvious that Phillips loves the guy....
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

It should be noted that this is why intangibles have value to a player and a team. How much Brandons game has improved was always well within his control he just needed someone to lead him to the proverbial water.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Thank you Scott Rolen, finally a leader who will not just lead by example, love it.
    +1

It's great to have a guy there that will say what needs to be said and have every type of player listen to him and RESPECT him. It would be great if he has a few more good years left in him.

And when he does retire, I'd like to see him eventually become the bench coach.
    Last edited by durl; 07-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It should be noted that this is why intangibles have value to a player and a team. How much Brandons game has improved was always well within his control he just needed someone to lead him to the proverbial water.

I think you may be in to something here. Hopefully Brandon will pass Rolen's wisdom on to younger players and then he'll be looked up to like the leader he's always wanted to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I love it. Rolen just exudes leadership and toughness. Sorry Griffey fans, but pretty much the exact opposite of Griffey. I always thought Griffey was soft mentally (not so much physically -- he would put his body on the line for sure) and wasn't anything close to a "leader" on or off the field. Then the Reds bring in a guy like Rolen who resembles everything I want in a leader no matter the sport. (Course, I probably wouldn't want Rolen on my basketball team since he would be a 6-4 post player with no hops. Ha.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I love it. Rolen just exudes leadership and toughness. Sorry Griffey fans, but pretty much the exact opposite of Griffey. I always thought Griffey was soft mentally (not so much physically -- he would put his body on the line for sure) and wasn't anything close to a "leader" on or off the field. Then the Reds bring in a guy like Rolen who resembles everything I want in a leader no matter the sport. (Course, I probably wouldn't want Rolen on my basketball team since he would be a 6-4 post player with no hops. Ha.)
    Honestly, I never thought that Griffey wanted to be the leader that Rolen has shown himself to be.

Many people believe that the highest paid, the oldest, the most flamboyant, or the most talented player has to be the team leader but it may not be their personality to actually be an up-front leader.

Turn Off Ads?