Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Movie that was better than the book?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The Movie that was better than the book?

The Movie is never better than the book, or is it? This was a short campfire discussion we had a few nights ago over cigars and whiskey.

The only one we came up with that we all agreed to was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The books were good, but often difficult to read. The movies were well done and entertaining.

Any others?

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: The Movie that was better than the book?

Just off the top of my head:

The Field of Dreams
    The Godfather
    War of the Worlds (George Pal 1960s original)
    Princess Bride
    Fight Club

I've read all of those books, and in each instance I think the movie is vastly superior.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I loved Shoeless Joe (on which field of dreams was based). Although I did read it when it came out years before the movie.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Ordinary People

I liked The World According to Garp much better as a movie. I'm probably alone in that though.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
    Nothing to add here, except to mention that I dropped an "Electric Boogaloo" reference on another message board just this morning. Get outta my head, man.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Lord of the Rings films better than the books?!? Blasphemy.
    Where was Tom Bombadil? The Barrowwights?? Glorfindel???
    I'm sending some hobbits over to your house to talk some sense into you & make you read the Silmarillion & all 176 volumes of the history of Middle Earth.

Pet Semetary the book was awful. The movie was solid B grade fun.

The Ring was an American remake of a Japanese film Ringu which was based on a manga. The Ring was better than both.

Man Pills

The Exorcist
    Jaws
    The Shining

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I liked The World According to Garp much better as a movie. I'm probably alone in that though.
    Wow. My favorite book. Absolutely loved it. Thought the movie was pretty weak though. But, to each their own. I won't hold it against you.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

"The Great Race"

I don't think I've ever seen a movie where I thought it was better than the book.

One example, The Firm, was a great book, but a terrible movie. Gresham and James Patterson are great writers, but the movies of their books don't tend to do them justice.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Godfather
    I love the movie the Godfather, but I have to disagree that it was better than the book. The book was pretty fantastic and the movie pretty much just foloowed the story step by step. I liked the book because it explored the conflicted nature of Michael Corleone so much deeper. Both are excellent, but I still prefer the book.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant writer but the way the Cohen Brothers pulled off 'No Country For Old Men' was nothing short of extraordinary.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Get outta my head, man.
    And into my car.

Turn Off Ads?