Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Movie that was better than the book?

Re: The Movie that was better than the book?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Dark Knight was pretty good, as good as any Batman comic.
    Yes, The Dark Knight was an original script, not directly based on any particular storyline from the comics.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Gone With The Wind - a bit like vp's comment about Anne of Green Gables, the book is a bit turgid and flowery but I loved the movie.
    I agree, and I'd read the book first. That great cast brought added life and a comic touch to the movie that didn't come through in the novel.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I agree, and I'd read the book first. That great cast brought added life and a comic touch to the movie that didn't come through in the novel.
    Love the book myself, in fact I'd say that books/films like GWTW belong in a separate thread... best films/books... where dwell great combos like One flew over the Cukoos nest, To Kill a Mockingbird, and In Cold Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The Dark Knight is a spectacular film. But had it been directly based on a specific graphic novel, the book would almost certainly have been better.
    yeah, but that's like saying Iron Man was an original script. it was, but pulled from the comics heavily.

And Iron Man the movie was better than any Iron Man comic. The Dark Knight was better than any of the Batman graphic novels too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Perhaps this one was covered in the last thread - Star Wars. The book was written after the screenplay and, in my opinion, it is not very good. I read it as a young teen and still remember it not-so-fondly.

Bridge to Terabithia. An absolute clinic on how to turn a childhood fantasy type book into a film. Didn't hurt that the screenplay writer was the book author's son, and inspiration for the lead character. But still, a good book...but an excellent movie.
    Last edited by guttle11; 07-27-2010 at 11:47 PM.

I wasn't really impressed with Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.
    Bladerunner, however, was a classic.
    When I was younger, I loved The Heart of Darkness. But after re-reading it a couple of years ago, I found it too mechanical (perhaps I was having a bad day).
    Apocalypse Now, on the other hand, is a tough movie to beat.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Exorcist
    Jaws
    The Shining
    NO WAY!!!!!!! The Exorcist book was AMAZING! I read it in 1 sitting, and at the time was not much of a reader. Much scarier than the movie.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Bridge to Terabithia. An absolute clinic on how to turn a childhood fantasy type book into a film. Didn't hurt that the screenplay writer was the book author's son, and inspiration for the lead character. But still, a good book...but an excellent movie.
    Funny, I saw that movie on a flight out to the west coast. I thought it was going to be just a typical blah airplane movie so I started watching it with one eye and not a whole lot of attention. But I soon became enthralled with it and it just roped me in.

When the movie ended, I was sitting there with tears coming down my face and hoping nobody noticed. Ever since then, it's been one of those "you have to see this" kinds of movie to me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?