Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Movie that was better than the book?

Re: The Movie that was better than the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Woah woah woah....back the truck up.....

LotR movies better than the books?

Put down the pipe man.
    That's funny. It was usually the kids on the pipe that carried around those books in school.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Angels & Demons immediately screams out. Thank god I watched the movie first because the book had all kinds of issues.

Dan Brown - great story ideas, hackneyed writing style.
    Really? I thought both movies were awful when compared to the books. The movies were ok but the books were great.

I do agree what Brown's imagination can run wild but his research is top notch.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Woah woah woah....back the truck up.....

LotR movies better than the books?

Put down the pipe man.
    I tried twice, on two seperate occasions, to read through all the LotR books -- both times I finished "Fellowship" with no problem but couldn't make it through "Two Towers" without being bored to tears. Once the trees started talking, I lost all interest in the book. I'm usually pretty fond of sci-fi / fantasy books, but LotR just couldn't hold me in.

From that standpoint, I think the movie has to be superior to the book, considering I was actually able to watch the movie.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    That's funny. It was usually the kids on the pipe that carried around those books in school.
    How else are you going to suffer through a three page long description of a door?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My nephew, then in high school, walked out of The Firm. It was the worst adaptation of book that I've ever seen. Worst.
    John Grisham writes plots with characters, his books read like scripts, not novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I tried twice, on two seperate occasions, to read through all the LotR books -- both times I finished "Fellowship" with no problem but couldn't make it through "Two Towers" without being bored to tears. Once the trees started talking, I lost all interest in the book. I'm usually pretty fond of sci-fi / fantasy books, but LotR just couldn't hold me in.

From that standpoint, I think the movie has to be superior to the book, considering I was actually able to watch the movie.
    I read them in 5th grade. Don't think I could have taken it as an adult.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    John Grisham writes plots with characters, his books read like scripts, not novels.
    I've thought that too. It always seemed like he was writing as if he were already anticipating the film adaptation to come.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Grisham's novels have been box office bombs. I even remember that he put a moratorium on his books being adapted into movies. IIRC it was The Runaway Jury that ended that moratorium and they changed the plot around and the movie was awful.

That said I really enjoy his books.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I've thought that too. It always seemed like he was writing as if he were already anticipating the film adaptation to come.
    Micheal Crichton is very similar.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Micheal Crichton is very similar.
    yep, I almost wrote his name in the same sentence, they write stories that are engaging, but hardly what I would deem quality or unique writing.

For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first. Kind of hard to say a movie was better than the book if you didn't read the book first. A book is all about anticipation, where movies are often just a lot of glitz, music and star power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first. Kind of hard to say a movie was better than the book if you didn't read the book first. A book is all about anticipation, where movies are often just a lot of glitz, music and star power.
    You bring up a good point. I also think it depends on whether or not you saw the movie at the theater or at home.

When I see a movie come out that interest me that is based off a book I try and read the novel first. When I saw that the movie "Shooter" was coming out based upon the book Point of Impact I read the book first. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie. Both have their pluses and minuses. The book was much more indepth and had some better moments while the movie did a very good job of adapting it to the big screen.

What about films based on comics and graphic novels?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What about films based on comics and graphic novels?
    The comic or graphic novel is better. Always.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

A River Runs Through It. Its a great book, but the visual aspect of the movie maybe makes me say that the movie was better. Its tough though, as they are both good.

Turn Off Ads?