Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Movie that was better than the book?

Haunted by walks

Re: The Movie that was better than the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The comic or graphic novel is better. Always.
    Oh yeah, what about "Richie Rich"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Exhibit A is Watchmen.

Wasn't V for Vendetta based on a graphic novel?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Wasn't V for Vendetta based on a graphic novel?
    yes. an old Alan Moore comic.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    John Grisham writes plots with characters, his books read like scripts, not novels.
    I understand that and it wasn't the script that bothered me (and him). It was the whole ending and what they were charged with (won't say here in case some haven't read it or seen the movie). Many a Grisham novel require you to suspend some disbelief since characters seem to be able to do incredible things or have incredible means to accomplish what they're doing, but the film version of The Firm was just flat ultimately. Actually more like a popped baloon.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I understand that and it wasn't the script that bothered me (and him). It was the whole ending and what they were charged with (won't say here in case some haven't read it or seen the movie). Many a Grisham novel require you to suspend some disbelief since characters seem to be able to do incredible things or have incredible means to accomplish what they're doing, but the film version of The Firm was just flat ultimately. Actually more like a popped baloon.
    If I remember, the movie made bad guys into good guys and changed the whole motivation of the main characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I tried twice, on two seperate occasions, to read through all the LotR books -- both times I finished "Fellowship" with no problem but couldn't make it through "Two Towers" without being bored to tears. Once the trees started talking, I lost all interest in the book. I'm usually pretty fond of sci-fi / fantasy books, but LotR just couldn't hold me in.

From that standpoint, I think the movie has to be superior to the book, considering I was actually able to watch the movie.
    I re-read the LotR novels each Christmas Break. Have since I was a sophomore in high school. Tolkien's ability to create a world is second-to-none. And his characters are beloved the world over.

I realize they may be difficult for some to get through, as they're occasionally dense. However, though the movies are great, they're don't touch the books.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Oh yeah, what about "Richie Rich"?
    That's like picking between getting stabbed in the stomach or getting shot in the stomach.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

2001. Unique in that the book was released after the movie, although developed concurrently with the movie.

Two of the writers mentioned above went to my high school: Dan Brown (DaVinci Code) and John Irving (Garp). As for the former, I agree his writing style is abysmal. Great plots, annoying writing. As for the latter, he's about as good as it gets. Many don't know he struggled with dyslexia, making his books all the more incredible.
    Stick to your guns.

I'm not sure the movie The Natural is better than the book, but it is very different, and I could see people hating one, but loving the other. Completely different ending that changes everything that the book was about, but still a great movie.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Gone With The Wind - a bit like vp's comment about Anne of Green Gables, the book is a bit turgid and flowery but I loved the movie.

Shawshank Redemption - I liked the Stephen King story (titled Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) but the movie is a classic. I thought about putting King's "Stand By Me" here too but I decided I liked the story too much.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    For many it depends on whether you read the book first, or saw the movie first.
    I agree. I cannot think of one film that I have seen that I enjoyed more than the book, having read the book first. However, I did see Jaws first and then read the book and I found that I enjoyed the film more.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I re-read the LotR novels each Christmas Break. Have since I was a sophomore in high school. Tolkien's ability to create a world is second-to-none. And his characters are beloved the world over.

I realize they may be difficult for some to get through, as they're occasionally dense. However, though the movies are great, they're don't touch the books.
    I agree completely.

I also feel the same about CS Lewis' Narnia series. (And the movies pale in comparison to the books, especially the Caspian movie...a huge letdown.)
    Last edited by durl; 07-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.

The Dark Knight was pretty good, as good as any Batman comic.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Dark Knight was pretty good, as good as any Batman comic.
    The Dark Knight is a spectacular film. But had it been directly based on a specific graphic novel, the book would almost certainly have been better.

Turn Off Ads?