Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-Time Baseball Fan...New Reds Fan

OldTimey

Long-Time Baseball Fan...New Reds Fan

Hello. I am a lifelong Detroiter. Tigers fan. But I am excitedly moving to Columbus in a month. I have always liked the Reds and am using this chance to become a full-blown fan.

That is all....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Long-Time Baseball Fan...New Reds Fan

You certainly picked the right season. Welcome aboard.

OldTimey

Yeah. Not bad. What does everyone thing about Dusty Baker? I am not a diehard sabermetrics guy but I like a lot of what they say. SO I have always been iffy on Baker for pitcher abuse. But I have never gotten the chance to watch him closely.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Welcome! Sometimes Baker gets a lot of grief because his in-game managing is questionable. The players seem to enjoy playing for him tho, even the guys precieved as being in his dog house (like janish) put the team first. I think Dusty has respect because he's taken the Giants and Cubs to the playoffs, and guys like Rolen help lead the team.

Welcome Old Timey. Join us as we settle in the for the 2nd half stretch run

I like Dusty for the most part. He takes care of his players, and they respond to that. Some of his "strategery" leaves me and .

My biggest Dusty beef is that he will stick with a starter just one inning too long a lot. So the bullpen has to come in and with 2 on and nobody out rather than letting the pen take over at the top of the inning with a clean slate.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Dusty wears some pretty sweet sweatbands on his forearms.

i cannot complain about dusty baker since the reds have improved every year we have had him. i dont necessarily think that has much to do with dusty but more to do with having more talent. i honestly think nit picking every little in game decision is a lil petty. i think its more important to have a manger that can relate with his players well, keep them motivated, and have their respect.

Welcome OldTimey. You have chosen wisely.

Johnny Cueto Fan

So why aren't you a Tigers fan anymore? Or are you?

Wait a minute how can you just switch favorite teams? Man if it was that easy for me I'd have become a Yankee fan a long time ago.

Welcome. I look forward to discussing Reds baseball with you. Dusty, like all managers, makes some questionable moves. One thing that I'm sure you realize or soon will, that no matter who the manager is, fans are going to gripe.

Personally, I think managers get too much criticism when a team loses and perhaps not enough credit when they win, but that's part of the job.

To me, Dusty has had a bad wrap on ruining pitchers, that is not to say that his handling of a pitching staff is his strong point. For me, he's been better than what we've had in the recent past.

The Reds are in first place and I'm enjoying the ride. I hope you do to.

Welcome to Redzone, OP....but I must say that Dusty is the 2nd worse Manager in baseball behind LaRussa...Don't get me wrong, I know he is a players manager and that's good.

But As long as he runs this team it will NEVER win.

Johnny Cueto Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Welcome to Redzone, OP....but I must say that Dusty is the 2nd worse Manager in baseball behind LaRussa...Don't get me wrong, I know he is a players manager and that's good.

But As long as he runs this team it will NEVER win.
    I'm pretty sure they're winning now. I may be wrong though?

Welcome aboard!

so larussa is the worst manager and has won a WS but dusty cant

Turn Off Ads?