Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Great Time to make a trade

  1. #1
    Member dunner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    608

    Great Time to make a trade

    We have two days off until we play the rockies. Seems like a great time to make a trade to me. Walt go get Josh Johnson, Im sure the Marlins would love to restock there farm system and Johnson could drive us to the playoffs for this year and many more years to come.
    Also lets call up Edinson and Chapman. We need some new energy and excitement to help us get off to a good start for the second half.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,299

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    I don't see the Marlins trading either Johnson or Ramirez. Just an off season or so ago the were basically forced my MLB to start spending money on their major league club. I don't see them up and trading two of the best players in the game just before they are to move into a new stadium.

  4. #3
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him. They literally just signed him to an extension in January, and will need all the star players they can get when they open up their new stadium.

  5. #4
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kettering, OH
    Posts
    2,757

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him.
    It's The Marlins. You never can tell with those guys.

    Personally, I doubt they trade Johnson. But I believe Beinfest was recently quoted as saying they were "open to everything" with regards to trades, so, you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  6. #5
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    We have two days off until we play the rockies. Seems like a great time to make a trade to me. Walt go get Josh Johnson, Im sure the Marlins would love to restock there farm system and Johnson could drive us to the playoffs for this year and many more years to come.
    Also lets call up Edinson and Chapman. We need some new energy and excitement to help us get off to a good start for the second half.
    It would take a starting package of Chapman to get Johnson even if he was available. Since he isn't it's a moot point. If it took Smoak and 3 Minor Leaguers to get 2 months of Lee I would even want to imagine what it would take in addition to get Johnson.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  7. #6
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    It would take a starting package of Chapman to get Johnson even if he was available. Since he isn't it's a moot point. If it took Smoak and 3 Minor Leaguers to get 2 months of Lee I would even want to imagine what it would take in addition to get Johnson.
    I think people continue to overrate Chapman's trade value. Any team could have had him at the current rate he is being paid, yet no one was willing to offer what the Reds offered. I would say very little has changed since then. He's basically been exactly as advertised. Hard thrower, nasty stuff, little control, unpredictable future. He's done very little to increase his value.

    Chapman is not a trading chip, IMO.

  8. #7
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Fun fact: Yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of what we dubbed 'The Trade', and it also went down right before we started our first post-break series against the Rockies.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  9. #8
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It's The Marlins. You never can tell with those guys.

    Personally, I doubt they trade Johnson. But I believe Beinfest was recently quoted as saying they were "open to everything" with regards to trades, so, you never know.
    I think he meant he'd listen on those guys; but it would cost you the best parts of your organization to get them.

    I've heard from Buster Olney and others that they're listening on guys like Jorge Cantu and Ricky Nolasco.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  10. #9
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him. They literally just signed him to an extension in January, and will need all the star players they can get when they open up their new stadium.
    It's a Redszone thing. Of course they're not going to trade him. Around here you'll see threads going on and on about acquiring guys like him, Ichiro, Matt Holliday, CC Sabathia, signing Cliff Lee, Danny Haren...

    Just do what I do, roll your eyes and look for a more realistic thread

  11. #10
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a Redszone thing. Of course they're not going to trade him. Around here you'll see threads going on and on about acquiring guys like him, Ichiro, Matt Holliday, CC Sabathia, signing Cliff Lee, Danny Haren...

    Just do what I do, roll your eyes and look for a more realistic thread
    It would be different if Beinfest didn't say "Were open to EVERYTHING". Everything would include Hanley and Johnson, even if it is a far fetched idea. Fair game to discuss at the very least IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  12. #11
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    I think we're most likely to see Walt make a deal to try and improve the team, but it will be for a marginal guy and I think we'll wait until the last minute (July 29th, July 30th-ish) and end up having to overpay or outbid another team for the guy's services.

    Guys I see as a possibility are guys like Austin Kearns, Micheal Bourn, maybe finding some creative bullpen help in the AL like a Brad Zeigler; someone we haven't talked about before.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  13. #12
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think we're most likely to see Walt make a deal to try and improve the team, but it will be for a marginal guy and I think we'll wait until the last minute (July 29th, July 30th-ish) and end up having to overpay or outbid another team for the guy's services.

    Guys I see as a possibility are guys like Austin Kearns, Micheal Bourn, maybe finding some creative bullpen help in the AL like a Brad Zeigler; someone we haven't talked about before.
    Ya know I thought about Bourn a while back he would be a great fit at the top of the lineup if they are inclined to send Stubbs down at some point. Bourn is Dusty's kind of leadoff guy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,759

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ya know I thought about Bourn a while back he would be a great fit at the top of the lineup if they are inclined to send Stubbs down at some point. Bourn is Dusty's kind of leadoff guy.
    Stubbs>Bourn in pretty much everything.

    Yopu don't improve your team by trading valuable assets for a guy who's worse than the player he is replacing.

  15. #14
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It would be different if Beinfest didn't say "Were open to EVERYTHING". Everything would include Hanley and Johnson, even if it is a far fetched idea. Fair game to discuss at the very least IMO.
    GMs say a lot of things...Anyone who thinks Johnson might be traded anytime soon has issues with reality

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,207

    Re: Great Time to make a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think we're most likely to see Walt make a deal to try and improve the team, but it will be for a marginal guy and I think we'll wait until the last minute (July 29th, July 30th-ish) and end up having to overpay or outbid another team for the guy's services.

    Guys I see as a possibility are guys like Austin Kearns, Micheal Bourn, maybe finding some creative bullpen help in the AL like a Brad Zeigler; someone we haven't talked about before.
    I've brought this up, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to make a trade.

    I just can't get the math to add up for any player not named Cliff Lee that he'd be that much of an improvement to what they currently run out there.

    I think if you broke down the correct formula for any trade:

    (% chance new player will play better than current player) + (% chance that improvement will result in improved postseason results) > (% chance that player being traded away will make future teams better.)

    I just don't see any one player rumored to be on the market that makes the left side of the equation larger than the right side.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25