Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Time to make a trade

Great Time to make a trade

We have two days off until we play the rockies. Seems like a great time to make a trade to me. Walt go get Josh Johnson, Im sure the Marlins would love to restock there farm system and Johnson could drive us to the playoffs for this year and many more years to come.
    Also lets call up Edinson and Chapman. We need some new energy and excitement to help us get off to a good start for the second half.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great Time to make a trade

I don't see the Marlins trading either Johnson or Ramirez. Just an off season or so ago the were basically forced my MLB to start spending money on their major league club. I don't see them up and trading two of the best players in the game just before they are to move into a new stadium.

Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him. They literally just signed him to an extension in January, and will need all the star players they can get when they open up their new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him.
    It's The Marlins. You never can tell with those guys.

Personally, I doubt they trade Johnson. But I believe Beinfest was recently quoted as saying they were "open to everything" with regards to trades, so, you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    We have two days off until we play the rockies. Seems like a great time to make a trade to me. Walt go get Josh Johnson, Im sure the Marlins would love to restock there farm system and Johnson could drive us to the playoffs for this year and many more years to come.
    Also lets call up Edinson and Chapman. We need some new energy and excitement to help us get off to a good start for the second half.
    It would take a starting package of Chapman to get Johnson even if he was available. Since he isn't it's a moot point. If it took Smoak and 3 Minor Leaguers to get 2 months of Lee I would even want to imagine what it would take in addition to get Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    It would take a starting package of Chapman to get Johnson even if he was available. Since he isn't it's a moot point. If it took Smoak and 3 Minor Leaguers to get 2 months of Lee I would even want to imagine what it would take in addition to get Johnson.
    I think people continue to overrate Chapman's trade value. Any team could have had him at the current rate he is being paid, yet no one was willing to offer what the Reds offered. I would say very little has changed since then. He's basically been exactly as advertised. Hard thrower, nasty stuff, little control, unpredictable future. He's done very little to increase his value.

Chapman is not a trading chip, IMO.

Fun fact: Yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of what we dubbed 'The Trade', and it also went down right before we started our first post-break series against the Rockies.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It's The Marlins. You never can tell with those guys.

Personally, I doubt they trade Johnson. But I believe Beinfest was recently quoted as saying they were "open to everything" with regards to trades, so, you never know.
    I think he meant he'd listen on those guys; but it would cost you the best parts of your organization to get them.

I've heard from Buster Olney and others that they're listening on guys like Jorge Cantu and Ricky Nolasco.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up Josh Johnson? There is a 0% chance the Marlins deal him. They literally just signed him to an extension in January, and will need all the star players they can get when they open up their new stadium.
    It's a Redszone thing. Of course they're not going to trade him. Around here you'll see threads going on and on about acquiring guys like him, Ichiro, Matt Holliday, CC Sabathia, signing Cliff Lee, Danny Haren...

Just do what I do, roll your eyes and look for a more realistic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a Redszone thing. Of course they're not going to trade him. Around here you'll see threads going on and on about acquiring guys like him, Ichiro, Matt Holliday, CC Sabathia, signing Cliff Lee, Danny Haren...

Just do what I do, roll your eyes and look for a more realistic thread
    It would be different if Beinfest didn't say "Were open to EVERYTHING". Everything would include Hanley and Johnson, even if it is a far fetched idea. Fair game to discuss at the very least IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think we're most likely to see Walt make a deal to try and improve the team, but it will be for a marginal guy and I think we'll wait until the last minute (July 29th, July 30th-ish) and end up having to overpay or outbid another team for the guy's services.

Guys I see as a possibility are guys like Austin Kearns, Micheal Bourn, maybe finding some creative bullpen help in the AL like a Brad Zeigler; someone we haven't talked about before.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think we're most likely to see Walt make a deal to try and improve the team, but it will be for a marginal guy and I think we'll wait until the last minute (July 29th, July 30th-ish) and end up having to overpay or outbid another team for the guy's services.

Guys I see as a possibility are guys like Austin Kearns, Micheal Bourn, maybe finding some creative bullpen help in the AL like a Brad Zeigler; someone we haven't talked about before.
    Ya know I thought about Bourn a while back he would be a great fit at the top of the lineup if they are inclined to send Stubbs down at some point. Bourn is Dusty's kind of leadoff guy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ya know I thought about Bourn a while back he would be a great fit at the top of the lineup if they are inclined to send Stubbs down at some point. Bourn is Dusty's kind of leadoff guy.
    Stubbs>Bourn in pretty much everything.

Yopu don't improve your team by trading valuable assets for a guy who's worse than the player he is replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    It would be different if Beinfest didn't say "Were open to EVERYTHING". Everything would include Hanley and Johnson, even if it is a far fetched idea. Fair game to discuss at the very least IMO.
    GMs say a lot of things...Anyone who thinks Johnson might be traded anytime soon has issues with reality

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

I've brought this up, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to make a trade.

I just can't get the math to add up for any player not named Cliff Lee that he'd be that much of an improvement to what they currently run out there.

I think if you broke down the correct formula for any trade:

(% chance new player will play better than current player) + (% chance that improvement will result in improved postseason results) > (% chance that player being traded away will make future teams better.)

I just don't see any one player rumored to be on the market that makes the left side of the equation larger than the right side.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?