Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blue Jays Acquire Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes

Re: Blue Jays Acquire Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I heard that mentioned on a couple different radio stations this morning.

I have always thought that winning solves everything. Its easy to have a free and loose clubhouse when you are playing good baseball and winning. While I think chemistry and clubhouse environment is important, I do think it can be over rated. It is very rarely that you will hear of a clubhouse environment that is awful when a team is playing good baseball.

That said this is a scathing indictment of when the Braves were happy to see him go. To me it really shows that the Braves players had tired of his antics and the Braves brass were ok with replacing him with Alex Gonzales.

That's true. But, like you said, Escobar's presence didn't stop the Braves from winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thought this might be a good time for a bump.

Since acquiring Gonzalez, the Braves are 8-9. Gonzalez has OPS-ed .710 in 58 ABs as a Brave.

Meanwhile, Escobar has OPS-ed .782 in 67 ABs for the Blue Jays, who are 11-6 with Escobar.

From the Braves perspective, they had to deal Escobar because his head was so far up his rectum it wasn't funny. And whether he wears out his welcome in Toronto sooner rather than later is certainly a possibility.

But the reality has set in around here that Gonzalez at the plate isn't the answer to the team's offensive woes.

The lack of offense from Gonzalez is exacerbated by the fact that Martin Prado is now on the 15 day DL. Nate McLouth finally got shipped out to AAA because the Braves could no longer hide the fact that Nate McLouth is...Nate McLouth. Troy Glaus is simply waiting for someone to come along and play Travis opposite his Old Yeller.

Melky Cabrera has warmed up lately, but at the end of the day, he has 2200+ career ABs and a .712 career OPS. Brian McCann is leading the team with an .850 OPS and 14 HRs. If you look at his splits over the last several years, he generally puts up his best numbers in July (getting 3-4 days off over the ASB has to benefit catchers as much as anyone), and then his numbers drop the last 2 months of the season as the pounding of being the every day catcher adds up.

The Braves need a couple of bats to get hot quickly, or pretty soon they will be looking up at the Phillies in the standings.

Bump.

Anyone else see Gonzalez not run on the soft liner to SS that Renteria dropped?

3 more outs before the Bobby Cox era ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Bump.

Anyone else see Gonzalez not run on the soft liner to SS that Renteria dropped?

3 more outs before the Bobby Cox era ends.
    Meh... Bobby is great the game needs more Bobby's and less robots

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Agreed. I'm going to miss Bobby Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I agree also Bobby Cox was an excellent Manager without the Larussa ego. His Body of work can never be denied.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?