Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unentertaining series.

Unentertaining series.

I like this Reds team, but words I'd use to describe this series: unprofessional, lackluster, unprepared, unfocused, flustered...

And the worst: unentertaining. None of the games were fun to watch. It was interminable: like waiting to be seen at the Emergency Room. This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball. This was bad product. I did not expect the Reds to win. I DID expect to see good baseball.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Unentertaining series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I like this Reds team, but words I'd use to describe this series: unprofessional, lackluster, unprepared, unfocused, flustered...

And the worst: unentertaining. None of the games were fun to watch. It was interminable: like waiting to be seen at the Emergency Room. This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball. This was bad product. I did not expect the Reds to win. I DID expect to see good baseball.
    I placed my 2011 deposit this afternoon. I think many others will do the same.

Yep - some teams go down with a fight, doing everything they can to win and others just go gently into that good night.

Oh well. It beats the heck out of a losing season anyway

I agree about it being bad baseball and no fun to watch. The rest I don't know.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I'm not sure that a 3 game series is going to trump a 162 game season.

This series is going to hurt the Reds season ticket sales, because Central champs or not, people want to watch good baseball.
    Bad series or not, I don't think that it'll affect season ticket sales. First division clinch in 15 years, I think season tix sales for next year will be up considerably. OTOH, if they go back to their old ways of losing again, they'll drop substantially.

This ending will not spoil the awesomeness of this season for me. Yes, it wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not going to let it ruin how awesome this summer was and how it felt to be watching meaningful baseball again. No way.

And as far as ticket sales, I'm very strongly considering a 20-game package for next year. And I'm a "broke as a joke" college kid. So I think it's safe to say the ticket sales will be a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

All I know is that I couldn't take watching this last game. I don't much enjoy watching the opposing team celebrate their victories on our teams home turf. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Scott Rolen channeled Reggie Sanders circa 1995.
    Our awesome defense played like the Bad News Bears before Buttermaker showed up.
    Our MVP went 1-11 in the series without a walk.

Our pitching did post a 2.52 ERA in the series. So I guess that is the upside?

Reds have the best offense in the NL, and get shut out in games 1 and 3. Best defense in the majors, and make 4 errors to lose game 2. Pitchers actually pitch well, and we're swept in 3 games. Baseball is a stupid, stupid game.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Scott Rolen channeled Reggie Sanders circa 1995.
    Our awesome defense played like the Bad News Bears before Buttermaker showed up.
    Our MVP went 1-11 in the series without a walk.

Our pitching did post a 2.52 ERA in the series. So I guess that is the upside?
    Our MVP also had 2010 Reggie Sanders and Gomes hitting behind him. The Phillies didn't have a single reason to pitch to Votto.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not sure that a 3 game series is going to trump a 162 game season.
    Agreed. As good of a chance of us breaking out and winning the series was that of a diaster.

All this shows is that beggars can indeed be choosers.

And I'm one of them. Was a sour ending to a really fun season. First time I cried since I was a kid. Just was expecting more, but that's life. We have lots of young talent, lets hope its not one and done with this bunch.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Our MVP also had 2010 Reggie Sanders and Gomes hitting behind him. The Phillies didn't have a single reason to pitch to Votto.
    And yet Votto reached base once in 11 times to the plate. If your reasoning is true (and I won't argue it at all), its on him for not taking a pass or three.

"So Fla Red"

Game 2 was the all-time nightmare and one of the worst nights of my life as a Reds fan, but it wasn't short on drama. Game 1 (for Reds fans only) was an all-time snoozefest but for the rest of the country an unbelieveable sports moment and Game 3 was a complete snoozer to anyone without rooting interest in the game. We only lacked Co-Co blowing a 9th inning lead tonight to complete the Cincinnati big stage let down jackpot.

In this series, let's face it, the Reds should have won game 2 and then lost the series 3-1 after Doc's 3-hitter tomorrow night. The Reds were effectively a $45M rag-tag outfit ($70M minus Harang and Coco) with stagefright going against a $140M mega-market, 2-time defending league champion with the resources to acquire three mercenary aces in just the last 12-months. (Lee, Doc and Oswalt). When the braintrust inexplicably decided no to go all out for the second seed for homefield advantage over the last couple of weeks the fate was sealed for 2010 ending in a thud against the Phils. I'm ok with that, it beats the last ten years of crapola.

On the postive side: Wood, Bailey and Cueto all looked excellent on the big stage. That bodes well for 2011+ and another division championship run. A shame Rolen was obviously nowhere close to 100%.

Dusty's senseless loyalty to the mediocre OCab cost the Reds by giving Hamels a 1-0 lead and providing 3 effortless outs for Hamels. Giving Philly a lead was psychologically huge, I just had the sick feeling that that alone was going to be enough by giving Hamels comfort and raising his game a notch. Let's only hope the GM is smart enough to pass on OCab's option next year. LF is such an obvious and easy upgrade it's not worth beating that horse. Dusty is loyal to a fault for sure, but the players love him.

Nevertheless, a division champ banner will look good on the wall on Opening Day. Much room for obvious improvement next year at LF, SS, a breakout year for Jay Bruce and the overall pitching staff ERA will be well under 4.00. Baby steps...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Reds got buzz-sawed by the best team $141 million dollars could buy.

It's the inescapable reality of baseball -- a feel good story or a fun team rarely has a chance against a team that can go out and buy a Cy Young award winner in the offseason.

Onward to 2011. Time for Walt to go find a SS and a LF to solidify the lineup, and for some decisions to be made about the rotation. We might not be able to go write a check for Roy Halladay, but if Chapman / Bailey / Volquez can all take steps forward next year, maybe we can hold our own enough to knock off a team like the Phillies.

In the meantime, I hope the Phillies get swept in the NLCS. Annoying team from a dirty, mostly-worthless city that's only claim to fame is a fictional athlete and creating a heart-attack-on-a-bun sandwich.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 10-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?